windcatcher

What jump # did you start freeflying?

Hey guys!!!

I've always loved watching freeflying videos, I am pretty sure that will be the discipline I will like the most, especially more than RW.

Most people recommend waiting till at least 100 jumps to get good on your belly, and I have thought that I would wait till at least 100 jumps.

I am not so sure anymore about waiting till 100 skydives though, especially since most of my new dz is freefly.

I really do want to become a proficient freeflyer, but I am wondering how much all my belly skills will help me? I am not trying to be some bigshot, trying to freefly without having the basics down first...I just need you guys to tell me what you consider the "basics" necessary before attempting freeflying?

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback:P

Sarah

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Honestly, I should have gone through a program like Skydive U to get my overall belly skills up. It was actually to the point that I was confortable doint many things in a sit position, but I was actually a bit dangerous when flying with groups on my belly.

I would have troubles diving a formation, getting on level outside of my slot and moving in safely while maintaining fall rate.

Actually when I had about 300 jumps I had to go get SDU coaching so to even pass the Coach Course, which is sad since the skill level needed to pass the Coach Course is basically a walk in the park if you have any sort of skill at all. Of course I couldn't do the course or teach students in a sit fly, so my skill set was pointless for the goals I had set (to become a TI).

I honestly believe if you get some skill flying on your belly you'll learn to FF easier as well as you'll be a safer skydiver all around due to having more skill in more disiciplines.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yes Dave, I agree. I am just trying to see how just doing fun jumps on my belly will really help me learn all that much that I can use in freeflying.

I do want to become a really good flyer,and so far getting good belly skills first seems to be important to me. I just wonder how I can wait so long, especially since I really want to start freeflying and just having fun playing in the sky.

I mean, I am still learning lots on my belly, I just hope I will learn as much and be patient, though my heart is in freeflying:S

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I did my first sit ATTEMPT at jump #18. It was student choice and I said LET'S GO FOR IT!!

Yeah..I was butt-flying the whole time but it made for a great video!! LOL

As soon as I was off of student status it was FF all the time. I have gone up on few jumps with experienced RW people and have been able to still fly my body as needed though...Who knows...

I am in the same position. I want to start freeflying b/c I think it's going to be more of a challenge for me. I have one season (barely) under my belt without even an A license (very soon) BUT... I have A LOT of people, who are there ready and willing to teach me how to sit fly and fly on my head. So I say listen to the more experienced people around you and see what they have to say. One of my (best) friends has over 2,000 jumps and was on the Canadian team in the world championships, and she is ready to help me learn. So if you have the right people around you then GO FOR IT GIRL!!!:)

...the door was open

SKYDIVERGIRLS.COM

Thats a tough question. There are so many ways to go with this. I think 100 jumps would be a good overall. I didnt wait that long:ph34r:. I did see some minor incidences related to unawareness though, 1st hand. I think it will vary with most people. After you exited the aircraft 100 times you should feel relitively aware of your body in freefall and under canopy. You are a bit more at ease with skydiving and all that. So most would say at 100 jumps you could safely experiment with relitive flight.

The biggest part I think is education. Why you need tight gear, and what corking is all about, all the reasons why it's not like an RW skydive. If you got all the right gear, know your limits and go for it!! Get coaching! Ask local freeflyers on your DZ for gear checks.

PJ

I waited until i was able to easily fly into an 8 way and turn a few points. For me, that was about jump 110. I think its very important to get belly flying down. We used to have a guy come out back when there was maybe 2 freefliers at our dropzone and he could only sitfly. In fact, I had to chase him around to get into a 2 way (RW) with him.

I think its important to learn and be good at both. If you travel to a smaller DZ where people get a puzzled look when you mention freeflying, you want to be able to go out and make a good RW jump with them. I just think its good to be able to go do a hot 4 way RW with people, then on the very next jump, go do a hot 4 way sit fly.

All in all, freeflying is fun, and looks really cool B| But dont forget how it all started. Some of the best freefliers in the world are also some of the best belly fliers in the world. ;)

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

Hmm, I came to this forum to ask pretty much the same question. In reading about the recent fatality in Perris where a skydiver was on a freefly jump with about 60 jumps over the past year. My first thought was "too soon" but I don't know anything about freeflying so I thought I would ask.

For the responses I read here, may I assume that it would not be viewed as inappropriate?

40ish..

however many jumps it takes for you to be comfortable and able to fly most things on your belly...

today i was VERY glad i've practiced belly flying now and them... i dont turn many points, but i've been in 18+ ways...

i'd recommend picking weekends (or weeks or months even) to focus on certain skills... (once you have the basics of each) after all, its all human flight..

ps.. your poll options are a bit funky ;)

I first started to try sitflying around jump 175.

My reason were:

1) I wanted to be good enough on my belly that I could still jump in formations with RW friends

2) I am in the process of completing my coach rating

3) Since freeflying is really supposed to be all directions, belly is just as important.

Overall, I think belly has really helped me learn to fly with people...to be aware of them, and to adjust fallrate..all at speeds that are not as dramatic as freeflying.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

For the responses I read here, may I assume that it would not be viewed as inappropriate?

I don't think it's unappropriate as long as safety is the first consideration. A newbie freeflier should only go out with someone who has enough experience to be able to get out of their way if they become unstable.

I did my first freefly jump at 40 jumps and was in a stable sit on my second attempt. I was probably moving through the sky a lot, but I wasn't corking and I jumped with someone who had 400+ freefly jumps.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

A newbie freeflier should only go out with someone who has enough experience to be able to get out of their way if they become unstable.

Great point to make. I am solid in my sit, but yet I still only will go out with very experienced FF'ers. When you have 2 people with little experience, it can be very dangerous if someone corks or gets above or below you. SMACK!

I was asked to go out on a 4 way the other day, and I knew that one of the other guys only had about 80 jumps or so (same as me) and passed it up. Even though I heard "I've jumped with both of you and you're both solid", it was still the point of yeah, but as new ff'ers we are not able to get out of the way as soon if needed nor adjust fall rates at the best level right now.

It was at about jump 150-200. After doing some basic RW Stuff and competing in a smaller tournament. I always wanted to do freefly, but my instructors told me to do some belly stuff first. And that was a wise choice if I look at some freeflyers today :S
The belly skills are also very useful when you jump with newbie freeflyers..

Max

one point i think is pretty important is being able to orient yourself in the air.
you may think you can figure out which way jump run was & make sure your perpendicular to it... but unless you're comfortable moving/looking around, moving your head & NOT your body - it can be hard to do. IMHO I think it's easier to get those skills on your belly while you don't have to worry about little body movements @ the same time.

people are talking bout corking up into their dive group - what about tracking up/down jumprun w/o knowing it? So you're on a jump w. an experienced jumper, you're backsliding like a banshee up jumprun. what's the other person to do? they can stay there, but that won't stop your movement. until you know which way to face.... you're dangerous.

There are a lot of things you can work on on your belly that will translate into freeflying - side sliding comes to mind. Why rush, if you learn to do belly - when someone asks you to get on some crazy fun jump that requires those skills - you'll have them.

ps... other than 3 stupid "sit" jumps below #40; I didn't start ff until just over jump 150.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)