sunnydee123

Relaxing....Why so hard?

I just want to know if anyone has any exercise suggestions on the whole "JUST RELAX" concept with headdown. I have been working on my head for about 120 jumps now and although I can finally hold my head for an entire jump, I am still moving around a little, and I know all I need to do is relax my samn shoulders and arms to short that movement out....YET when I think my brain is telling my arms/hands to do something, the video says NOTTA. What did/do you guys do to relax?

My exits are SWEET....nice and relaxed but then I start "thinking" too much and you can almost see my shoulders tense up. Why oh why does it seem so frigin hard to just relax?

Everyone and anyone I talk to seems to say the same thing - they all did it, but it will all resolve itself with continuous jumping.....and perhaps lots of solos - so I continue to jump and look forward to the day I laugh about this frustration. For now, any suggestions? Thank gang B|

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

huh great question. i'm looking forward to all the answers.

All i know is that it all has to do with how mentally strong you are. It also depends a lot how well are you mentally prepared for the jump, and how well did you sleep last night what did you eat,...

It all has some influence on how much you can relax in the air.
"George just lucky i guess!"

Once you got the technical stuff sorted out it's really important to get relaxed.
to be relaxed in the air is one of the hardest things to do in any skydive. Its natural to get excited about jumping.
just some of the factors that make it hard to just chillout in the air...

We aint ment to be up there! it is an alien environment to a human.

Self induced pressure about getting it right.

fear factor.

sensory overload{ noise, brightness, air pressure}

To over come these things I try to first visualize the dive and what I want to happen, then I try to visualize the truth. whats likely to happen and what should I do about it.

To relax, try to do some sort of breathing exercise close to exit time. this will get more much needed oxygen to the brain and should relax you. do it with a buddy as if your trying to synchronize your self with them.

Also try to tence all the muscles in my body from my toes to my head. I do this to know what it feels like to be tence so I can then know what it truly feels like to be relaxed physicaly.

"It's like a finger pointing to the moon, don't concentrate on the finger all you'll miss all that heavenly glory" Bruce lee said that.

I tend to try and be as relaxed as possible throughout the skydiving day... When it comes time to jumping and attempting to learn something new, I tend to sway away from the standard "put your arms here and do this with your legs, blah blah blah", and go more with fly what ever feels right. Try to be aware of where you are placing the tension on your muscles ( both consciously and subconsciously), and on the next jump try to consciously completely change where that tension is focused. Move your hands around, put your legs one in front of the other, one hand on top of your head, wave to your friends, throw the peace sign (or devil horns) at the camera... try to throw a 720 spin, or a 540 cartwheel... Laugh out loud in freefall... Do it every single jump and just change your whole mentality and approach to learning... You're already past the hard part, now it's only the minor details which you can already do, you just haven't yet...

BG gave me some great advice via PM that helped my flying tremendously. He could put it in better terms I'm sure, but in short, you want to stay mellow from the time you get on the plane till the exit. You don't want to be whooping and being like "WOOHOO!!". Just sit down, be lazy, breathe, and focus on being calm. It is a Zen thing, put yourself completely at peace, let all your energy flow out of you and into the plane. Be lazy.

Another great thing to remember is not to resist the wind. The more you fight the wind, the more stiff and fatigued you'll become. Just relax, give yourself to the wind, don't resist it at all attempting to keep fallrates and such, just breathe and be there. You have to remember all the way to exit and after, "I can fly this position with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back". Relax and know you're there, and you'll naturally stop thinking, and therefore will become more comfortable, and therefore more relaxed.

I hope I didn't just spew out a bunch of useless noncomprehensible crap while trying to explain what I mean. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

One of the funny things that happened to me this weekend was I met a cool bunch of free fly peeps, someone gave me a piece of gum on the plane (just cuz) and I had one of the best jumps ever (and you could see my chomping away on the gum in the video ;)). For some reason that unconsciious chewing of the gum sorta relaxed me....or so I think. I try to be really calm on the ride up - sit back, close my eyes and just breathe. I even did some of the things FreeFlyDrew mentioned.....I would drop my hands to waste and bring them back out, I would sorta box with both hands in front and then sorta them back into "place".

I've sorta figured out headdown is NOT just a certain position, which has helped tremendously and on the ground I understand where I should be feeling the pressure on my arms (until I sort them out) but in the air I'm just not there all the time. 3 SHIT jumps and 2 "almost got it" jumps. ;)

I just love this and have to be patient until it clicks, which I know it will. Another question, do you think solos are really helpful at this point? Or is it better to have someone in my face :)

solos are great to 'just play' but you really need a reference point to know how well your playing...

breathing is a real key both before and during the jump, nothing really helps you relax as much as a regular breathing pattern...

I'm down with the whole breathing thing - that took me some time to grasp but I breathe before exit count, I take a nice deep breath once out the door and I breath throughout the jump (got video proof).........and if I could jump with just one other person on every single jump I would be one happy camper. Something a bit more relaxing about using a "pal" as a heading then a cloud off in the distance. My average fall rate is about 160 with my guy....but I go and do a few solos and my fall rate is up to the mid 170's.

There is SOOO MUCH to learn with this but I'm not giving up. I look forward to the day I can do my first 3-way and turn a point ;) and not think twice about what I am actually doing, because it is almost second nature..........

I'm gonna be in Perris "ooohhing and aaahhing" at the Big Way Record Attempt, hoping someone who maybe isn't quite to THAT level, will be KIND ENOUGH to jump with a newbie headdowner still in the learning realm of things. How else do you learn unless you jump with other people, right :P

You know how they tell you to picture the audience naked when you are giving a speech? You can do the same type of thing on a head down jump.

Have a coach go with you and fly in front of you for point of reference. Have him/her do it naked. This should take some pressure off of your performance! If it helps, you can go naked too!

And because I am a nice guy, I would video it for you for free!

;):D:):)

You know how they tell you to picture the audience naked when you are giving a speech? You can do the same type of thing on a head down jump.

The thought of you naked sends shivers down my spine (and not in a good way Chris;)).

And because I am a nice guy, I would video it for you for free!

No you're not...dirty yes, nice no B|

Hope to see you at Skydive Atlanta June 5,6 for the Anniversary Festival (Dave Brown organizing $15 to 15000 in 8 minutes).

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Freeflying (and skydiving in general) requires the proper balance of muscle tension - you don't want to be completely rigid, nor do you want to be completely relaxed and floppy.

Try a few solos, where you purposely tense up your whole body, or specific regions. Do the same for relaxing your whole body or specific regions. Hopefully this will teach you how to monitor your muscle tension better.

I think you need to do more "fun" jumps. Go out and do some crazy fun freefly things. Try getting on your head and flapping your arms and kicking your legs like you're running all over the place. Try doing disco moves while on your head... Pump your arms, give the shocker, just get out in the air with the attitude that you will have a fun jump. These aren't just silly things to do either, they're fun, and they help to develop skills. For example, giving the shocker will help you learn how to use your arms to dock. ;)

Jump with people who relax and don't intimidate you. Pick a coach who can make you laugh and then plan a super-silly skydive! You can be learning valuable VRW skills while still acting crazy and having fun. Don't be scared of looking like a fool, try to look like a fool!

If you go out and do some fun jumps without as much pressure, you're going to be able to relax, and your head down will improve!

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Well NOW I know what the problem was, I didn't KNOW what it was to relax. Figured that out this weekend with an awesome handful of solos....and I even went up and acted like a total cheese ball with arms flailing about, forcing myself to fly the legs. Isn't it just too funny when the pieces start clicking?! ;)

Now I just need to work a little harder on leg adjustments so I can maintain a decent speed ;) Don't think 174 counts as "decent" :) but at least it is all coming together.

Thanks for all the tips gang~