sunnydee123

Headdown....

(Oh yes, I like this one... go take a slice of lemon in freefall with you and taste it sometime during the dive)

Um....why?

Very simple... It gives you something else to think about.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

People were looking at me like I had 4 heads this morning in the gym....first I tried that leg pusher-outer thing to understand how to try and relax upper bod while feeling leg pressure :))...then trying to walk while keeping my hips out (it was quite the show)...........then of course I stood up against the wall to "understand" what a straight spine should feel like................and then after all that I sucked on a lemon :)
Thanks for all the tips gang and like someone said, I just need to go and do it - and try not to over think it. My first jump of the weekend/day is always the best cause I am so relaxed, thent he brain kicks in.

We'll see how it goes but I'll drop back to let ya know. Big hugs to all...........anyone going to Eloy around Christmas who wants to make some jumps?

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

People were looking at me like I had 4 heads this morning in the gym....

Get rid of 3 of them, or you'll really have a hard time learning this inverted freefly stuff! :P

Cheers,
CanEHdian
Time's flying, and so am I...
(69-way, 108-way and 138/142-way Freefly World Records)

oh silly little "hookit"...I know what you were referring to (the fruit) as was I, and I alter my first response to now day - wouldn't you like to have watched :)

Get back on track...I would like to be headdown by the Keys Boogie in November...whatcha think?

wouldn't you like to have watched :)

Oh, hurt me........... ;) JK

It's cool to see someone want it (to learn a new orientation, you damn perverts) that bad!!! Very cool, sunnydee!!

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Hmm,
Bummer Marco is gonna be out of town the next couple of weekends, and I'm usually super busy packing [:/] But you know I'll make some time for you ;) Hopefully I won't get too busy or there will be more cats around that can lern ya too.

Oh ya, LOTS of solos, LOTS of cartwheels. Demz the magic ingredients.

You still aren't making those funny faces when you cartwheel, are you? :D

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Hey! I went to the keys boogie back in 2000 and it #$($ing rocked! :) Unfortunately back then I couldn't land on the beach, however it was some of the sweetest jumps I have ever made! I had never landed on such a small dz with sooooo many canopies! (Casa flights rule!)
Ever stop to think and forget to start again

(long post)

All the suggestions that have been made so far are very good and as sais by many, relax is the most imoportant, however not the legs. When trying to hold a head down, the lags will anchor you in the air , so they must be very tonic (at least when you learn).
Most people advise you to try the head down directly either from the plane exit, either from a head up position. In that case, you should not make your attempts last for more than 4-5 seconds, because you don't know where you are going. This is a good method for some people but others are blocked with this technique, probably because of an imperfect head up position. Its main problem is that you try to transition to a position that you don't know and 4 secondsis a bit short to get the proper feelings.

The alternative is not to focus directly on head down but rather practive the atmonauti flight on belly and on back inveted by Marco Tiezzy and Gigliola Borgnis (Frick Atmonauti). For those who are not familar with it, it is a 45 degres flight either on belly or on back. It is much easier that head down because you can start from tracking, but if you do it right, the movements and position are the same than in head down. Flying on the belly would be like an extreme backward motion in head down and flying on the back an extreme forward motion. Once you know how to fly the atmonauti, speclially on the belly (the closest to head down), you just have to give more angle and progressively reach head down, keeping in mind all the advice that were given in the other posts.
Marco and Gi (Frick atmonauti) use this techniques for beginners and it works very well. You must not forget that head down is judt one particular angle and that there are many angles before and after? If you also master these angles, you also master your movements in head down.
I'm not saying that this technique is the best since it also has inconvienents. For example, some people tend to keep an angle when fkying head down and have trouble to correct it. However, this method is a good alternative that will certainly imporve your global freefly skills. To my view, flying in the angle is anyway an increasing part of freefly (just look at the freefly jumps in the Vichy Boogie this year) and the two techiques are complementary.

One obvious think I forgot to mention is that when doing this, someone in the jump (flying on the belly) must make sure that you are perpendicular to the droping axis (you can go at more than 100km/h horizontal speed and less that 160km/h vertical speed!). Learning to do it in atmonauti will give you good habits for when you fly head down.

Have fun in the angle!;)

The alternative is not to focus directly on head down but rather practive the atmonauti flight on belly and on back inveted by Marco Tiezzy and Gigliola Borgnis (Frick Atmonauti). For those who are not familar with it, it is a 45 degres flight either on belly or on back. It is much easier that head down because you can start from tracking, but if you do it right, the movements and position are the same than in head down.

I can't say I agree with this at all.
Those who developed atmonauti flight developed it after being proficient head down fliers.

Lots of beginning head down fliers have forward or backward motions that they have to correct. It's only once we learn a basically neutral, straight down position, that we can start refining our intentional forward and backward motion.

Atmonauti, is an extreme forward motion - we only attempt those dives with highly capable head down fliers (those capable of flying slots in vrw formations). It flirts with the range of body positions between head down and tracking. Without a strong foundation in those basic modes of flight - I don't see atmonauti as an easier way to begin learning.

Well I have 7 more "attempts" under my belt and although still not on my head, I am learning a little bit more each time B|. Tried a new exit with less of a "hang on for dear life" grip and it went really well. Now my "coach" leaves for 2 weeks again so it is back to solos but my cartwheels are getting better - if I could just stop half way around onto my head :P. Practice, practice, practice!

Having fun along the way - what more could you ask for!