CanuckInUSA

Coach jumps with a world class freeflier?

I'm hoping to take a week off of work sometime this summer and do nothing but skydive. My preferred week off will be the first week of August (WFFC in Rantoul). But working for a startup software company, I'm at the mercy of project schedules and the whime of a whuffo boss who would rather see me dedicate every second of my existence to the company rather than have fun (but we all know that's not going to happen, I'm a skydiver).

Anyway, if Rantoul doesn't happen for this camper, I was wondering what some of the more experienced freefliers out there think about a newbie like myself taking a week off and doing a bunch of coached jumps with the Flyboyz in Perris or Mike Ortiz in San Diego? At the Eloy holiday boogie I managed to do one jump with Steve Curtis (courtesy of Betsy), but he was on back to back loads and not only did I not get a debrief but I only had about 100 jumps total at the time and I still struggled with my freeflying. Now I'm no freeflying rock star (yet ;)), but I've done another 100+ jumps since the Eloy boogie and am better now than I was then. So I'm beginning to think that I'm approaching the skill level where I could possibly benefit from some one-on-one training with a world class freeflier. So would my money be well spent taking one week off of work (it would be a very expensive week) and do 50 jumps with the Flyboyz (or Mike Ortiz) or would I do fine just doing the $3500 worth of jumps with friends. Opinions?

PS: Doing some coach jumps in Eloy with Omar or Steve Curtis would also be good. But I don't think jumping in Arizona during August is the best time to be there.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

By all means, recieveing coaching with a World Class Teacher and Freeflyer like Mike Ortiz would be extremely helpful.

Good coaching accelerates the learning curve by leaps and bounds.

Hope that helps
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It is a good idea, but realistically 50 straight jumps with coaches may be overkill. I'm sure they appreciate the business (flame away), but you can only gain so much muscle memory from those short jumps and intense debriefs.

If you are willing to spend that kind of cash. Go to Florida do coaching jumps with some hot shot down there and get some tunnel time in Orlando.

The tunnel rats can help with specific problems in a very short time ( I mean they see everything due to the small space in the tunnel) and leave you with some muscle memory that is only reached after loads of jumps.

Dave Brown (very good teacher in Sebastian) can free fly with you and you can go to the tunnel with him. Also there is Olav's crew in Pahokee and Colon Berry in Z-Hills.

All not too far from the tunnel.

I did 15 minutes in the tunnel working on back flying and side sliding in a sit. it was worth it.

My 2 cents

ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

I'm convinced I'm too short/heavy to be able to freefly in the tunnel.... 5 foot 4 inches, 170 pounds. I had there baggy ass, beat my nuts off suit and could barely get off the net.

I'm sure with a lot more practise, and the tunnel running cold I could sit in there. Head down I'd go through the net and be outside.;)

JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

I was wondering the same thing about coaching. Have had a friend jumping with me since I wanted to start sitting and it has been going great (and this forum leads to some awesome tips as well...AirAnn - luv ya). But my pal is leaving me to travel for the summer and now I am debating what to do. Keep jumping and figuring things out on my own or invest the cash and get a coach for some jumps. I'm in Florida and it is getting H-O-T already....might plan a little trip to Cross Keys and head for cooler skies for a week.....I only have 74 jumps, 16 of them sit attempts so I have plenty to learn and a ways to go but also want to make the most of eacha nd every jump....so I need a volunteer - anyone game?

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Hey SkySister- Actually, Ramon is a good sit coach. Ramon is known around this area for really caring about his students and he spends a good deal of time with each person. I have seen Ramon get so excited when "one of his girls" does well. I think especially when they were trying for a vSCR. He was genuinely thrilled about it. He watched the video several times sitting 4 feet from the big screen over here.

If you come to Houston, I will get you squared away. There are actually tons of real fine coaches here. I will recommend some and others I just can not. I will jump with you as well.

Either DZ here has a good coach. Eric Boyd is an excellent coach at Spaceland. I recommend him very highly. Stevie Boyd is also a good choice. I have had several jumps with Eric. He is an honest, straight forward guy. He is also very kind hearted. He has a way about him that keeps you at ease and this makes a coach jump a FUN learning experience that you wont regret.

So, in Houston- Either Ramon @ Waller or Eric @ Spaceland.

Keep jumping and working on your sit. A sit coach will help you along but you cant bypass practice. Sorta like muscle memory in RW, you jump and remember the position and then baby step forward to the next add on skill.

I will try and email you some literature to read and see the pictures. It was faster and easier for me to learn when I had a mental image of what I wanted to do.

~AirAnn~

Hey Sunnydee.
You'll get some video or pictures if you practise with Ramon.;) He helped me get into the whole head-down thingy. So no matter what level you will be arriving with, this guy can coach.
Here he is live in action (in green)
http://www.clustermaster.com/D60/Dec162002/pages/IMG_1621.htm

Blue ones

Crazy German

Also...anyone know if there is camping if I was to visit Houston and this "ramon" loved by all kinda guy? Cause I sure as heck won't want to be wasting cash on a comfy bed and air conditioned room...hee hee but what are Houston summers like? Ramon is is Waller correct?

:$ How embarassing. I am actually not a full time coach anymore (definitely not world class), but I do sort of coach/mentor and jump with everyone for fun (I don't work at the DZ I play;)).
Waller has camping area, swimming pool, and bonfire areas. It is very hot in Texas and I recommend sleeping in the packing area (airconditioned). We have a lot of fun at night over there.

I would be glad to ground coach, give you some training ideas and make a couple of jumps with you.

If you want a few coach jumps (like all day attention) I would recommend you go to a full time freefly coach at Spaceland Eric Boyd and the Team Anomally are very good.

bloo skies

ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

Oh come on Ramon...don't be shy. If someone thinks you are that great...eat it up my friend. Got me thinking about visiting the Houston area...hee hee. I want to learn but I also want to keep it fun so I am not thinking about ALL DAY TRAINING but 5 or 6 jumps with some coaching from a "not world class" freeflier would be super duper...since I am still simply a newbie at ALL of this. Just hate jumping alone...it's boring - most of the time. Maybe I'll see ya 'round.....Denise

Oooohhhhh Thank you "clusterit"......What girl doesn't like being told she is "good"......tee hee! I am meeting too many cool people from that area so I will DEFINITELY make a visit there, just thinking I might wait for a cooler time of year since I think it must be just as hot there as it is here right now......Don't forget me (the name) cause when I come I'm tracking people down........

Hey CanuckInUSA
I was browsing some posts and came across your questions about coaching. I wanted to let you know that good coaching can help you advance you skills safely at any skill level. If you make the decision to go to Rantoul I might be there available for coaching. I am still trying to organize my schedule so that I can go. If you decide to come to San Diego I would be happy to help you advance your skills and enjoy the endless possibilites that exist in the air. Taking the time to work on your skills with a professional coach will not only make the sport more fun but safer for you and those that you fly with. If you have any other questions please feel free to drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

Fly safe
Mike Ortiz

I see no one has mentioned Hunter roberts or Jimmy Tanter, they both coach at skydive deland.
Deland alone is a great training center where some of the best in the world train. You should check out their web sit at freedomofflight.tv,training with them is very pro and when you see them in action it is impressive. i got my stable sit in 3 jumps with hunter and continue to progress. thats my recommendation good luck:)

I will do it for the cost of my slot. Coaching, video and debrief!;)

Me too. If you head WA way, come to Kapow.

I aint world class, but good enough. I think maybe 2 2 way's a day with video and debrief will give your noggin plenty to think about for one day. Then jump, have fun and work on it. No need to spend a fortune, except on jump tic's.

Heck for that price, I'll give you canopy vid and coaching too.

----------------------------
bzzzz

PS: Doing some coach jumps in Eloy with Omar or Steve Curtis would also be good. But I don't think jumping in Arizona during August is the best time to be there.

Actually , it might be. No other distractions, a small group of jumpers at the dz and plenty of 1 on 1 time with Omar or whomever you go with. Jumps start early and end around 2-3 pm and the rest is chill time. There is a lot to be said for the off season. Oh yeah, tue and weds the dz is closed.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Actually , it might be. No other distractions, a small group of jumpers at the dz and plenty of 1 on 1 time with Omar or whomever you go with. Jumps start early and end around 2-3 pm and the rest is chill time. There is a lot to be said for the off season. Oh yeah, tue and weds the dz is closed.

exactly! thats how i managed to get lots of good coach jumps and some really cool 'play' jumps with the 'big boys' in too..once they knew what i could handle they put me a slot the was safe but still challenging...