bodyofflyght

racers?

Whats everyone's opinion on a racer container?? I have heard mixed opinions....rigger friendly/ or not?? and so on....I am a relatively new jumper that is 5'4" and 125lbs....your input please or would I be better off with a javelin??
the ebb and flow of the atlantic tides; the drift of the continents; the very position of the sun alone, its ecliptic; THESE are just a few of the things I control in my world

You'll hear mixed views here too. It probably won't do much other than confuse you. There are many very strong positives and negatives to be gleaned from those with feelings pro/con Racer. I guess I'd say that you can find rigs with just as strong pros and far fewer con feelings.

ps-I have many racer jumps. These days I jump an Infinity.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

The NOS Shadow Racer is THE MOST comfortable rig I have jumped. I have a new wings right now and I will say the Racer NOS was nice..

Nothing is wrong with a racer. Especially for the price and reserve deployment time..

Rhino

your input please or would I be better off with a javelin??

I'd say Javelin from a recent experience

My Racer is old and a bit cranky (lots of velcro, all new) to pack on each jump, nevermind the rigger. New styles are not so bad, I'm told. However I borrowed a Javelin J3 and it fit soooo nicely that I think that FIT is much more important than rigger friendliness.

If you want to do freefly or canopy relative work and are buying anything but the most modern of Racers, there are better alternatives available too. One thing about the Javelin though is that there are bazillions of them out there and you're likely to find a good used one that fits well.

Blue Skies

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Hey man, get what you think is better for you.
Racers have the fastes deployment on a reserve than any other rig in the market that i know.
I don't like all the velcro they have, but if well kept is good. about every 200 jumps is cool to replace it. ( jumped one for about 150 to 200 jumps).
It is really confortable rigg, Under canopy was nice.
My micron is more confortable and I like it better, but it is build for me so it fits great. My second rig is a Javelin NJ that is confortable to. Got lucky (second hand)
Well packed rigs (reserve) look really nice and are safe specially on Expose reserve pilot chutes.
Talk to your local riggers and see what they have to say. Make an inform desicion and not a rush one.
those are my 2 cents. Cielos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

Racers tend to have a negative stigma on the left coast. Hard to pack, hard to make look good, don't use a safety stow anymore, too much velcro (on some), and other things...

Lots of rigs are regionally liked or disliked, so you probably want to make sure that, wherever you are, your rigger doesn't hate working on the particular model you're interested in. If they do, and you really want one, find another rigger...or figure out why s/he doesn't like that model, it might bring things into a new light for you.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I borrowed a Javelin J3 and it fit soooo nicely that I think that FIT is much more important than rigger friendliness.

A Javelin is plenty rigger-friendly. You never see a rigger charging extra to pack a Javelin, but often see an extra charge for Racers...

I prefer the Shadow Racer (all black). I like the ones with the velcro running down the sides of the reserve rather than the 2K3 design because I prefer a flexible container. Nearly all the rigs available today are totally rigid and flat along the back pad when viewed in a profile perspective whereas the Racer conforms to your back. The yoke is also a very important to comfort, and the Racer container has this dialed too; no need for the extra weight of rings. As for aesthetics, I can't help you. I'm a Civil Engineer who doesn't care about looking like a walking commercial.

You will get not get much help on this here - it is up to personal preference. I love my racer NOS (yes - the one with velcro). I have a good rigger and don't mind keeping it in shape. I am not a free flyer but have in my 900+ jumps have never had anything loose. They are very comfortable and proven. These days they are few and far between up here in Ontario - which I do not mind at all - you can get them at very good prices. I would not get one until you have a rigger "on side". Personally, I would not get a "2000" model, the new M2K I am not sure of...if you have any questions call Nancy at JumpShack---she is always very helpful.
rob

Racer container? If you are talking about buying a brand new one, the 2k3 Racer is a very nice container, no velcro, new closing order, and its a very neat clean rig, that is comfortable. As far as a used one, there is so many models out there to even attempt to say if its good or bad. If you want my choice on what I prefer, everyone knows I would pick a Vector3, but there is a lot of good gear manufacturer's out there. Look around, ask a lot of questions and even call some manufacturer's. For new gear most of the top manufacturer's are safe and good, as far as used gear, I would have to see it to reccomend it. Most of all dont ask someone's opinion to buy gear make up your own mind, just educate yourself on the gear before you buy it.
Good luck.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

My first rig (current rig) is an older SST with lots of velcro. Frankly I have really enjoyed until recently. It's still very good container, but all the velcro tends to booger up my microline brake lines. What it needs is a smaller canopy. I am currently sort of force feeding a Hornet 190 into and it's not working to well. Actually it works fine but it is a real bitch to pack. Racers are very well made and there service is excellent. I am told the new velcroless models are terrific. It is one of the most comfortable rigs I"ve used. Pretty reasonably priced.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

I'm in the same boat here. I have a OLD racer, built in 1989.

Pros: It is sooooooo comfortable.

Cons: (1)Velcro. I HATE velcro now. I don't have a problem with the velcro riser covers but the velcro down the sides of the reserve suck. It takes too much time and effort to secure your risers into place. (2)Older ones usually aren't really freefly friendly. There is sometimes too much exposed bridle between the right flap and the BOC. Almost had a problem on one of my first sitfly jumps. Reached back to throw out, and felt lots of bridle just flapping in the breeze. After that, I've been on my belly with no problems.

Here's a bit more info on racers and riggers for those interested. I personally haven't had any problems with riggers and my racer.

As you can see, cons outweigh pros. I like my racer as long as I'm on my belly. However, I probably won't be buying another racer when I'm ready for that second rig.

I recommend Racers all the time - especially to small people. For small people they are so much more comfortable than anything else on the market. I've managed to accumulate 4 Racers over the years, and with well over 3000 jumps on them - doing CRW, RW and freeflying I've never had any problems. If its comfortable, and it fits you well, go for it.

And I've got ~ 11 reserve rides on Racers - the pilot chute launches very cleanly. And the red cutaway cables on modern Racers - I'm still in awe at how well they work.

W

Being a rigger at a dz with a couple of Racer and Reflex jumps, this is my 2 cents.

Don't buy a rig cause it is rigger-friendly, he ain't there with you when you cut away. I have never had a problem with any rig, because I approach it with the attitude, that its just a rig with some extra steps to close.
p.s. i dont charge extra either
"A superior skydiver uses his superior judgment in order not to demonstrate his superior skill."

I've got a Racer. I find it nice and comfortable. Mine is an Elite (?) It's got velcro riser covers, and velcro covers down the side of the reserve tray. It's not much of a worry for me, as I'm concentrating on RW atm.

The velcro side covers can be a bit of a pain, but you get used to it.

This is my first rig, so I don't really know how it compares in terms of comfort...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I have a Racer I got about 1.5 years ago and the only velcro it has is inside the top flap to keep the two halves of it together. Tuck tab riser covers, and walrus teeth on the top flap. I freefly in it all the time with no problems and have had a reserve deployment on it that would have sent me to the doctor if it had been any quicker (well, it was at terminal, so maybe that contributed too ;)). Very comfortable, great customer service, etc. Shop around and see what you like.

If you're buying new, I think it's honestly pretty hard to go wrong with any of the major rig manufacturers.

Joe

Joe

Just to clarify.The Rig does not make the parachute open any faster. A quick opening reserve is a matter of the parachute design and partially the pack job itself.

It's been tested over and over against other Rigs and deployment times were the same.

After 1000's of freefly dives, I can not in good faith recommend a racer. I've not seen the new design so I'll with hold judgement on new ones. I'm alsovery unconvinced that the new Speed bag is a good idea.

This has nothing to do with ease of packing. They are not difficult to do so.

I'll stand by my original statement up above.

Hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Seeing the new Racer 2003, I'll admit... it was'nt like a normal Racer in my mind. Very solid double tuck tabs over the risers, Full flap tuck tab and Walrus Teeth on the main, same reserve but they cleaned everything else on the rig up. Its sharp. JumpShack is finally starting to catch up to the rest of the industry in terms of freefly friendlyness.

Howard showed me his at WFFC and I was impressed that it was a Racer. The only concern I'd have is the stiffners in the tabs breaking in 100's of jumps.

The Speed bag could work for a reserve, as a main bag its probally the worst idea I've seen.

If John would allow the channel to be sewn to the cap... it might not be that bad of a rig to rig on either.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com