koune

Sabre 2 opening

JHi again. I just IMed with someone at PD and was told that the PD main manual is outdated and being re-written.

The story is that today's PD mains (meaning not the old Sabres) do not need to have the nose rolled or folded. I really do nothing with my nose except make sure it is sitting in the center nice and neat.

But, if someone is experiencing a strange openings, for what ever reason (there are lots of them), they can try the technique you guys spoke of (folding 4 on the left and right inwards, center cell open).

Slider placement (down at the stops, quartered), lines stows are also important.

~Kim
-Kimberly Griffin

JHi again. I just IMed with someone at PD and was told that the PD main manual is outdated and being re-written.

Really good info, thanks kimgriffin! Did PD give you an idea of when a new manual might be available?

Though I'd post another update to, still putting a fold in the nose, and making sure the nose cells a neat. Only off heading opening was when I forgot to do anything to the nose. Its kinda funny to remember what you forget to do while packing while you wait for your canopy to finish its 360 degree dive.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

I've put about 30 jumps on my new Sabre2. My openings have always been between a 90 and a 180 off heading opening with the slider staying up several feet even after I'm upright in the harness until I play with the rear risers. End cells are generally deflated until I pump brakes. I load her at 1.04: 1. I was told by someone at my DZ that it was my light loading and the fact that the slider won't come all the way down that I'm having so many problems. I have replaced my risers with shroter ones that I still can barely reach so that I can colapse my slider now, but I still have to pump the risers to get the slider down so I still get the 90 to 180 turn. Any suggestions here?

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I make a point of flaking out the nose so that it will be directly under the front lip of my slider so it will catch air evenly. I don't roll anything except the tail enough to keep everything where it belongs.

--
Hot Mama

I started on a Sabre2 170 and now have a sabre2 150. I flake the nose twice...initially and then just before I roll the tail....then quarter the slider....pull up the slider about 1" above the nose(make sure the nose is nice and open). This has produced the best openings so far. Usually have to pull on the rears to bring the slider down all the way and sometimes I get an offheading...but otherwise nice openings.....does that help? :)

Never Give up! Never Surrender!

Weird.
I'm loading at about 1.06, and while I use to have off heading openings, I haven't have closed end cells since fir first few jumps. And have never had a slider hangup, kinda odd.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Guess I'll chime in...

I have a Sabre2 - 135 loaded at 1.6

Like many have stated here, I sure love to fly the thing, but the openings could be better:

- crazy off-heading (90 to 180) openings that swing my legs around for a ride if I'm not minimizing it by grabbing the rears. (Yes I've tried many different approaches and yes I concentrate on good heading & body position, watch horizon, let it fly, etc...) It seems to always hunt for a heading and more times than not, that heading ends up being 90 to 180 degrees off my initial heading at pull time.

- slider stays high until I completely loosen my chest strap (which I've always done to land anyway, so no big deal). I don't wear it very tight anymore, but still, if I just try tugging on rears I'm looking at a 10-30 second fight to be able to just reach it and collapse it.

I am a very meticulous packer (quite anal actually) and yes, I've followed PD's instructions (the "Pro-Stiletto" way according to Rusty) and I still get the same results intermittently. We've agreed that if it continues (had it for several weeks now - approx 50 jumps so far) to behave this way, I'll send it back to them when the snow hits.

It's already been sent back once. When I first got it this spring, the line trim was ALL out of whack. They replaced the line set. Excellent customer service.

*sigh* I still enjoy the canopy's flight characteristics though... but these openings might be a concern if/when I start jumping a wingsuit. [:/]

Cheers,
CanEHdian

(edit: spelling)
Time's flying, and so am I...
(69-way, 108-way and 138/142-way Freefly World Records)

I've done 4 wingsuitflights with my Sabre2 135 loaded ~1.2:1. Total jumps with canopy ~200. Openings have been very good, but I pack it little different for wingsuit.

Normally I push the nose little bit and make sure that slider is little over nose. That way I've got best results. Openings have been great, but still sometimes offheading.

For wingsuit I just leave the nose open, don't push it and quarter slider without pulling it over nose. Openings have been awesome onheading but still snivelling. Couple normal jumps with this packing method, not good... Opens kinda hard without a wingsuit ;)

So, actually my Sabre2 has opened better with wingsuit overall. But I only have done 4 wingsuitflights with it, so this is just "the first thought". B|

- crazy off-heading (90 to 180) openings that swing my legs around for a ride if I'm not minimizing it by grabbing the rears. (Yes I've tried many different approaches and yes I concentrate on good heading & body position, watch horizon, let it fly, etc...) It seems to always hunt for a heading and more times than not, that heading ends up being 90 to 180 degrees off my initial heading at pull time.

Ditto here! :(

I am a very meticulous packer (quite anal actually) and yes, I've followed PD's instructions (the "Pro-Stiletto" way according to Rusty) and I still get the same results intermittently. We've agreed that if it continues (had it for several weeks now - approx 50 jumps so far) to behave this way, I'll send it back to them when the snow hits.

I'll send my canopy back to PD when the season's over. I'm sure they're gonna figure out what the problem is. ;)

It's already been sent back once. When I first got it this spring, the line trim was ALL out of whack. They replaced the line set. Excellent customer service.

Line trim on a brand new canopy, should be perfect. This makes me wondering about possible canopy QC problems.

*sigh* I still enjoy the canopy's flight characteristics though... but these openings might be a concern if/when I start jumping a wingsuit. [:/]

In flight, this canopy brings nothing but smile to my face. I just love it! B|

And the landings a great too.

Yves.

Wow....all these people with opening issues...I guess they must have quite a few canopies with line trim problems. My Sabre2 is an early serial number(118), and I have had absolutely no problems with it. I load it at 1.5, so that may have something to do with it...but I can only imagine it affecting the end cell closure and slider issues, not the off heading openings.

I have had a couple of 90 or 180 off heading openings.....but it's usually because I forgot to take the half line twist out that I create when flipping the canopy over during a psycho pack..:$

Mike

Yea, a lot of problems.
But what I think is pretty cool is that most people, are saying, "Yea, I know I never know where my parachute will be facing when it opens; but fuck, I still love this canopy!" B|

I used to have some really wild off heading openings on my Sabre2. In my case, the habit of grabbing the rear risers during the opening sequence was to blame. I now just keep my hands close to, but not on the rear risers during the opening sequence. I usually don't grab the rear risers until the slider has come down. Sometimes I grab onto the risers gently, during the opening sequence, and that seems to work almost as good as not touching them.

-------------------------------------------------------
Windwalker
Whatever doesn't kill me, just makes me cry.

Hey Lisa! I think you are under loading the canopy. When I got started jumping again and was on 1.0-1.1 wingloadings on the Sabre2 the end cells would never inflate on opening. Slider up a little as well. All you should have to do is pull the breaks down and hold them for a second. The end cells should pop right open and the slider should come down. Once you start getting around 1.3-1.4 I bet you don;t have that happen anymore.
Dom

wouldnt if you had both end cells closed this just make for a softer opening? I can see how one closed would make for a diving opening until corrected. But both would just make the canopy open staged? Or am I wrong?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Dom, as this is my brand new canopy I plan on jumping her for a long time to come, so there will be no change in my wing loading unless I start eating a ton. The end cell dlosures are not really a big problem because they open up ater I play with my rear risers which also bring my slider down. The off heading openings are what really get my attention. I tried flying through then Sunday but still can only keep it to a 90 at best. [:/] In a traffic situation that turn could very well be dangerous.:(

--
Hot Mama

I have a little over 50 jumps on a new Sabre2 loaded at 1.4. My openings are anywhere between 90 and on heading. When brand new it was all over the place; spinning line twists, 180-360 openings, etc. Then it was opening very nice, but with end cell closure, which is no big deal because I'm on heading. I just pop the back of my risers and they inflate or are almost inflated by the time I even mess with them. My Spectre had the best openings, but the snivel is much longer. So, overall I like the Sabre2 the best.

Next year I'll probably get the Katana, but keep the Sabre2.;)

Honestly I didn't try anything but the Sabre2 because I really like PD's product. Everyone said it was very compatable to the Spectre which I love but hate the 1000 ft openings which the Sabre2 was supposed to remedy. I guess I've traded one thing for another. I really wish PD could fix that problem though. I have no desire to change canopy size (smaller is not always better :o:$) or canopy at this point just want a better on heading opening.

--
Hot Mama

Hey Steve,

Remember that Sabre2 150 I demoed at Eloy at the X-mas boogie last year? A whole day of jumping on it and I was quite happy with it, until.........WHAM!I got an opening that rivaled any other neck breaker I have ever had. I was flying camera and watched it on slo-mo many times. It gave me a neck breaking slammer with a combined 360 degree whip. I was hurtin and was surprised to see the canopy lines were all still there.

My thoughts????....... it still has that name there....Sabre and no matter what, I believe that it will remind you of its ancestry.;) I'll stick with my Lotus thank you.

it's compatible to the previous Sabre more than the Spectre

The Sabre? How so when the Sabre 2 is apparently a completely new design?