flyingferret

Train from a Cessna 182

FFlier 1 sits with legs out of the door - FFlier 2 crouchs behind with legs either side - rock the count out and FFlier 1 pushes out - make sure FFlier 2 does not go too quickly or it will tumble................. I have never done it from a 182 but that sounds as if it should work - mind your heads fellas!
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

I come from a 182 DZ, so I've launched a bunch of these. The key is to get the first guy as far out the door as possible. Our 182 has a big step over the wheel, so that helps. The front guy holds on to the strut with his left hand and braces himself with his right hand on the rear edge of the door. There is no reason you shouldn't be at least a couple feet clear of the fueselage. With the first guy this far out, the second guy can be almost completely out of the plane too, hands on the door frame, feet ready to kick under guy number one's arms. Front guy gives the rock, and just as it peels off, back guy kicks his feet into place. Think about leaving at a 45 to the plane. Watch for handles. Smile. Scream. Laugh. You're freeflying!!
Canuck

Smile. Scream. Laugh. You're freeflying!!

Funneling? Oh, right, freeflying...;)
Launching like that, isn't there a good chance that the last guy will just fall butt first onto the step? My thought was to have both (if 2 ppl) out on the step, one infront of the other, facing the rear of the plane. Right feet on the edge of the step, left trailing. Rear guy holding strut and holding on to the guy in front of him. Launch from there, as if it was a door on an Otter. *shrug* I don't know, never tried from a 182...yet.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

I come from a 182 and a 206 drop zone, and have about 550 freefly jumps. The best way that we have found to launch a sit train is to have the first person get out on the step facing diagonally out the door, not facing back to the tail, but not facing out to the wing tip. Left hand holds onto the strut, and depending on how good they are, theyc an do one of two things with the right hand. If the pilot slows a bit, the first person can hold onto the strut with the right hand too, sounds worse than it is. As long as they keep their body facing out. OR they can take there right hand and place it on that ridge under the wing just before the flaps. I don't recommend this, but people do it without problems. And there is nothing to get caught on. The second person holds onto the strut with their left hand, and on the rig (at the riser cover) with their right hand on the first person. Now the second person gives the count, ready, set, go! using their right hand to guide the first person out. We've actually launched 4 out the door of our 206 this way! Works well!

The exit airspeed is slow enough for the pilot to lower the flaps 10 degrees, which makes an adequate handhold -- push-hold, really, since hanging on the flap leading edge will bend the aluminum. Face toward the wingtip, left hand on the strut, right hand on the flap, left foot around the person in front, right foot on the step, ready to pick up the grip on launch. Plan on the train turning to the right on exit.
The pilot needs to retract the flaps before descent.
Mark

FFlier 1 sits with legs out of the door - FFlier 2 crouchs behind with legs either side - rock the count out and FFlier 1 pushes out - make sure FFlier 2 does not go too quickly or it will tumble................. I have never done it from a 182 but that sounds as if it should work

Nope, not the easiest way to do it. Like the guy earlier said, get both people out and onto the step, preferably at a bit of a diagonal. If you try to pull someone out the door there's a pretty good chance of doing some damage on the step or some serious scrapage on the side of the door (how Pammi's Mirage got shredded).
If you absolutely have to launch someone from the door have them get at least one foot out and when it is time to exit they need to make sure that they pivot out of the aircraft. It will be much smoother with less chance of a mishap.
Jus' my $0.02
Kris

I pulled it off!!! We did it just like you guys said and it worked perfect. We tried to get three on the step and rapidly decided on the ground there was no way to do this. So one guy hung from the strut and then two of us launched a train from the step. The camera guy followed us out.
I am really amazed we pulled it off. There is no way our pilot would lower flaps; he did not even cut on this jumprun ( I think I will write a thread bitching about this in talkback). When we got on the step, especially since we were facing sideways and not forward, footing was a bitch, I was kinda hunkering behind Trevor, the lead of the train. So, there was no way I could wrap my leg around him, and I could not see his count either. I just paid close attention to his risercover that I was holding and when I felt him move, I followed. Amazingly, we nailed it!! The other sitflier was orbiting us. Trevor and I are not that good at sitflying, so we kinda wobbled forward and backward a bit, and had a slow revolution too. Toward the end of the dive my legs were a little too far out due to the revolution. but we held the train until breakoff.
I would show video, but the videoguy, just a fun jumper, realized when we got to the ground that he was zoomed in, so you dont see much. Anyway, thanks for the help, we are still scheming on launching a 3-way sitfly train; there has to be a way.
Malachi

I was doing a 2-way sit out of a 182 this last weekend. The first person steps out and gets in the traditional poised exit position. They will give the count, hop off and go into a sit (face into relative wind). The other person sits in the door and launches into a sit with the relative wind at their back at the same time. It worked great for us.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Yeah that is a great way to exit, without doing a train. I think though, that these people were wondering how to exit in a "train" in which case, the other way you mentioned does not accomplish that. Regardless, I like your way better anyway, much more fun to exit facing each other and making eye contact!
-Rap