badlock

Now I have to decide between Infinity and Wings

You might want to see if you can score yourself a 50% off coupon from someone for around 150 Bucks.

I know someone with one of these to sell if you are interested

PM for details
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I can say some bad things about Javs, from my own personal experience...

The only bad thing I can say about Mirage is that you have to sale your house and morgage your dog to buy one.

RWS makes some of the best rigs today, especially with the new Skyhook! (That alone makes me wish I had to money to buy one).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

RWS makes some of the best rigs today, especially with the new Skyhook!

their rigs are nice, but i'm not "sold" on the SkyHook yet, i don't think i'll ever be. but, that said, i haven't done enough research to make an intelligent final decision. i like the ability to be in total control of my reserve deployment, currently anyway! ;)
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

A container decision that includes neither Vector nor Mirage???
You must be kidding...

I can't agree with this.

OK, on the one hand, Mirage and Vector are great containers and I mean GREAT.

But on the other hand they are expensive and more complicated.

I think that the days when only the top manufacturers (RWS, Mirage, Sunpath, Rigging Innovations) built good containers are over.

Sometimes when some experienced skydivers tell me their experiences about Wings or Infinity I think, that the most of the "old" manufacturers have no more than their name and their good reputation.

How many skydivers say "I've bought Javelins from the start, so I will never buy any other"?

Is it often a smart descision or habit?

The new small manufacturers like Velocity Sports or Sunrise Riggings may haven't a long tradition, but sometimes it seems to be that they've brought some innovations in the sport.

In both companies work designers which came from top manufacturers (Sunpath & RWS).

So why should I - the Newbie - buy more expensive and more complicated features if I can get a simple but safe workin' container from one of these both companies?
The features are the same, Velocity Sports told me for example, that they use a equal strong (40 lbs min.) spring for their reserve pc like RWS or Mirage.
The flap design is equal to the Vector - said anyone in this forum.

So where is the reason why should I buy a more expenssive rig?
Are there technical reasons??

"You get what you pay for it" - is that really true???

Don't be a Lutz!

I can say some bad things about Javs, from my own personal experience...

can you explain a bit please? i have seen nothing but good products from sunpath.

if it is because you saw a flap come open (even more than once), hate to tell ya, but i see that happen a lot, it could got bumped loose in the door, or someone bump it. or maybe the main is the wrong size for the container. these are all things to consider.

i have seen many wings reserve flaps come open, and have seen infinity main flaps come open, this doesn't mean they're a bad rig, it may of just been one of the reason's i said above.

and if i seam like i'm being a dick, sorry :):)
later

Well, seeing how I check my flaps before I leave to make sure they're secure, it wasn't due to being bumped in the plane.

The main flap, the reserve flap and the riser covers ALL fucking opened on a sitfly jump when I was borrowing a Jav. I had a toggle flapping next to my ear...

It pissed me off that "FF safe gear" had put my life at serious risk.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

On older Javelins (older meaning the one I owned in 2001 and before), it seemed that the flaps just didn't want to stay shut. Even new javelins last year had some flap problems. Sunpath recognized it, recut their patterns (the "K" designation) and it seems to work out much better now. But I can see how it's hard to shake the "unravelin javelin" moniker. Still it is a fantastic rig.

Wings vs Infinity? Wings for sure. Both are great at building a super high quality rig for a reasonable price, but Wings stands out in a few ways for me. Comfort, I've never worn anything that felt like I wasn't wearing a rig at all. Looks, come on... the Infinity is really plain. Reserve system, our riggers like em so much they bought one.

Either way, you're getting a good, safe rig. Pick the one YOU like.
Oh, hello again!

My advice would be to take a closer look at the newer Dolphins. They are simple, straightforward, clean, functional, FF Friendly, and propbably the best customer service in the industry. In my opinion, everything else is just details that complicate the situation.
When i buy my Sabre2 this fall and i need a new container, i'm going to give Mike a call.

Blue Skies,
=========Shaun ==========

They are simple, straightforward, clean, functional, FF Friendly, and propbably the best customer service in the industry

Before you start thinking that this is a Dolphin bashing, consider the fact that I too also own one... and actually like it for what it is...

But the bottom line is that both of the rigs he's considering have better riser, pin, and bridle protection than the Dolphins do... even the newer Dolphins.

And they're not much more expensive...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

the Infinity is really plain.....

Either way, you're getting a good, safe rig. Pick the one YOU like.

hmmm maybe we can get Jeff to post a picture of his Infinity. Its far from 'plain'. As with any rig its as 'plain' or as 'wild' as you design it..

mine is pretty tame in comparison to Jeff's but i'd never call either 'plain'

the Infinity is really plain.....
reply]

hmmm maybe we can get Jeff to post a picture of his Infinity. Its far from 'plain'. As with any rig its as 'plain' or as 'wild' as you design it..
mine is pretty tame in comparison to Jeff's but i'd never call either 'plain'

I've always found Infinities to be really sleek and sharp looking. Certainly it depends on your color scheme and what kind of logos and stuff you want on their, but I've seen some really "pimped out" infinities. Jeff Bell, the new Team Xaos Rigs, etc... I would never describe them as plain...

:)

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty Ford Clinic. -Patsy

So Badger someone about posting some of the less 'tame' examples...I'll post some pics of mine this weekend..

I hadnt even thought about the Xoas team rigs..i see them so often it blurs together...

those arent exactly 'plain' either. of course you can see to land at night with Jeff B's rig on...;)

Between the two I say Wings...
I like the Wings, and they have great customer service.

- Infinity
because the reserve flap design & reserve pilot chute seems to be equal like on the Vector 3.

If you like that about the Vector....Why not just get a Vector?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Between the two I say Wings...
I like the Wings, and they have great customer service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Infinity
because the reserve flap design & reserve pilot chute seems to be equal like on the Vector 3.

If you like that about the Vector....Why not just get a Vector?

Maybe because the internal riser protection on the Infinity is superior to the Vector (and better looking IMO), the harness is more comfortable and it's less expensive?

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Maybe because the internal riser protection on the Infinity is superior to the Vector (and better looking IMO)

Maybe they are both your opinion? I like the Vectors design better.

the harness is more comfortable

Again, I like the Vector better, so maybe this is just your opinion as well?

and it's less expensive?

this is a valid answer.

But you get what you pay for in my opinion.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just go to their website and you will see some not so plain rigs there. www.velocityrigs.com

who said they were plain?

Not me.

I just asked if it is possible all his answers (Other than cost) are just opinions?

I think the Vector is the best engineered rig out there...One trip to the factory is all it took for me to think that. Now this is just MY OPINION (thats why I put "I think" in this paragraph).

So if you want something that is "like" another rig...why not just get that rig?

I never did like the Infinity...but I am an east coast jumper, and there are not a lot of them.

I don't like Racers or Dolphins either...That does not make them BAD...I just don't like them. And I will never claim that my reasons are FACTS...They are just my OPINIONS.

Here's the breakdown.

The great thing about Infinities is they have the behind the scenes engineering and quality control that make the rig work so well- and make it safe- without a bunch of extraneous visable devices that make you feel better but don't do anything.

You might wear a Vector 3 or a Mirage G4 have extra stripes and flaps that make it look more complicated...

I guess it just comes down to the personality type. Do you go for understated style, function and quality? Or do you go for quality (Vectors and Mirages certainly are) but at the same time want everyone know you spent a lot of money on your rig?

:P

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty Ford Clinic. -Patsy