ifell

Music?

This was discussed before, I'm pretty sure within the last year, so you should be able to find it on search. That being said, a couple of the negatives I can think of off of the top of my head are:

1) If you listen to it in the plane, you might not hear some valuable information (landing direction, jumper separation, "hey, the wing's on fire. let's get the fuck out.").

2) In freefall, it could potentially be a distractor from all the shit you need to be doing to save your life.

3) What, falling towards the ground at over 120 mph is so boring for you that you need music to accompany it?

On my jumps right now, I'm generally so focused on trying to fly my slot (and having a shitload of fun doing it), that I doubt I'd even remember having music on in freefall. I'd suggest leaving the iPod on the ground and focusing on improving your freefall skills until you are the absolute shit, but that's just my opinion.

Don't. It's a safety concern - I don't want anyone with me in freefall or under canopy who's distracted let alone by something as stupid as an mp3 player. If you feel you need the music while skydiving, maybe you need to find another sport... In the plane, while less of a problem IMO, with your jump number, again, don't. As a sidenote, if it's an ipod with a harddrive it can't take flying very well let alone jumping.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I tried it once on B.A.S.E. jump with an old Sony Walkman (anyone remember those?)

But there was once a true multimedia skydiving application. Back in 1995 Ben Conatser, the Perris DZO, was perplexed about why weekday business had fallen off so dramatically.

But being a smart guy he figured out what it was and fixed it . . .

NickD :)

I tried it once on B.A.S.E. jump with an old Sony Walkman (anyone remember those?)

I used to OWN one of those.

Thanks, Nick - I feel old now.:P
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Skydiving with music is probibly not a good idea but I always listen to music when I am speedriding. Not on launch I like to hear my canopy open but turn it up once I am flying. For me it keeps me from thinking too much and lets me ski and fly like I know how to and when I get scared I turn it all the way up to block out my thoughts and let the body do what it knows how to.

I jump with my Nano on every wingsuit skydive.
Almost always have.
I listen with both earbuds on climb to altitude, and remove an earbud for the jump so that I can hear my Optima clearly.
Volume is low, earphones are sealed, so I don't hear the wind in the ear that has an earbud.
Can't imagine wearing them on anything but a wingsuit jump due to short time and louder wind.
IMO, it's a decision that anyone with more than 500 jumps should be allowed to make without people giving them grief. Fewer than 500....I don't think it's a good idea.
FWIW, with the volume set low, I can hear (and have had conversations with) other people under canopy.
For some of us, music accompanies virtually everything we do......

IMO, it's a decision that anyone with more than 500 jumps should be allowed to make without people giving them grief.

And it's my decision to not jump with you if you do. With all the canopy collisions these days, I'd not want to be in the same sky as someone with an extra (useless) distraction.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

IMO, it's a decision that anyone with more than 500 jumps should be allowed to make without people giving them grief.

And it's my decision to not jump with you if you do. With all the canopy collisions these days, I'd not want to be in the same sky as someone with an extra (useless) distraction.

And therein lies the point of disagreement. You feel it's a distraction; I feel it's an enhancement. Dozens if not at least a hundred studies have shown that concentration, dexterity, awareness, and comprehension can rise when music is part of the activity, depending on several factors. For me, having an earbud in one ear playing a specific genre of music isn't a distraction in the least. Quite the opposite, actually. To the contrary, static/mononoise (wind) has been proven to be a significant distraction.
I don't feel it's something a newbie should be doing.

You're obviously welcome to choose to not jump with me, yet I'd invite you to prove me wrong vs an unintelligent gut reaction and a blanket statement. The citations and supporting data are voluminous. Remember "Iron Eagles?";):D Music is the soundtrack of my life, and I chose music that enhances those scenes that come with piloting a wingsuit and responsibily use the equipment with which I experience that soundtrack.

Holtz, Robert Lee. Music and the Brain.
Watkins, Terry. "Is Music Neutral?"
"Noise." American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
O'Donnell, Laurence. Music and the Brain. 1999.
Carroll, Robert Todd. "Mozart Effect."
McCraty, Rollin. "The Effects of Different Types of Music on Mood, Tension, and Mental Clarity."
Florentine, Mary. "On the Behavioral Characteristics of Loud-Music Listening."
Lesiuk, Teresa. "The Effect of music listening on work performance."
Weinberger, Norman . The Mozart Effect: A Small Part of the Big Picture
Hargreaves, David, Mark Tarrant, and Adrian North. "The Effects of Music on Helping Behavior."

>>For me, having an earbud in one ear playing a specific genre of music isn't a distraction in the least.
I used to tell my parents something like that when I was doing my school homework in the 1960s.

They were right and I was wrong . . . ;)

NickD :)

Interesting that this comes up today.

On those rare occasions that I take the wingsuit off, what I'm usually doing is a high clear and pull (out the door at 13,500 and under canopy before 12,000). I particularly like doing it on the sunset load - and I like it even more when I'm the only one doing it. The feeling of solitude and a chance to sort of casually stare off at the sunset at 9,000 feet can't be beat.

Anyway, yesterday, I did one of my high clear and pulls on the sunset load. I brought the iPod up and listened to music during the whole canopy ride. I wasn't worried about canopy collisions (since the nearest canopy was 8,000 feet below me). I suppose, in theory, I could have worried about air traffic - but I'm told that often approaching planes aren't heard anyway. There wasn't any chance of being hit by someone from the next load, since jumping was done for the day.

Particularly with the music, the whole experience was sublime.

So while I'm not up to Spot's comfort level with wingsuiting with them (particularly since Spot flies a wingsuit with music much better than I do without), I'm also not ready to create blanket rules that I won't jump with others if they do.

With my experience level, I wouldn't do a normal (RW/Freefly) skydive with music. And personally, I'm not comfortable doing a wingsuit jump with music - I like to hear myself screaming.

But sometimes, just sometimes, the additional risk is worth the reward.

I guess that like a lot of stuff about this sport, it depends.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Just recently got a flash based mp3 player (NOT an ipod, Cowon D2) and a pair of Shure E2c headphones for all kinds of activities (tunnel mostly, still to be tried), and found it to be nice and working well on the ride to altitude. I always pack it up around 10k to get ready for the jump. I dont think I would really register music playing during freefall and I support it being an added distraction under canopy in a pattern.
There are enough unaware canopy pilots out there already to have people copy that habit.

On a 12k hop'n'pop or a C206 load I dont see a problem, but in a crowded pattern...? Better not.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

On a 12k hop'n'pop or a C206 load I dont see a problem, but in a crowded pattern...? Better not.

I concur. Bear in mind that I live at a King DZ where I'm always last out, and by far....last to land, and never in the pattern with anyone.
Boils down to my original post. Some situations don't warrant the risk, just as some individuals don't warrant the risk. I waited til around 900 jumps to start wearing them with any regularity, and again, I only wear them on wingsuit jumps.

I suppose, in theory, I could have worried about air traffic - but I'm told that often approaching planes aren't heard anyway.

True, at least in my experience, I have had a plane zooming past me around 40 feet away at the same height I was on. I only heard it when it was about to cross my flight path. (I flew crosswind, and the plane downwind, heading straight over the DZ.) :S

This was discussed before, I'm pretty sure within the last year, so you should be able to find it on search. That being said, a couple of the negatives I can think of off of the top of my head are:

1) If you listen to it in the plane, you might not hear some valuable information (landing direction, jumper separation, "hey, the wing's on fire. let's get the fuck out.").

2) In freefall, it could potentially be a distractor from all the shit you need to be doing to save your life.

3) What, falling towards the ground at over 120 mph is so boring for you that you need music to accompany it?

On my jumps right now, I'm generally so focused on trying to fly my slot (and having a shitload of fun doing it), that I doubt I'd even remember having music on in freefall. I'd suggest leaving the iPod on the ground and focusing on improving your freefall skills until you are the absolute shit, but that's just my opinion.

I think music can be helpful in relaxing.
I definitely think it can help me relax; hopefully it doesn't carry any real physical risks?

One of the things I still can't get out of my head is "WHAT IF THIS" "WHAT IF THAT". Head just talks about "what ifs" too many times without shutting up. Music can be helpful imo.