Katieatasc

SPECTRE OR SABRE2?

I WENT FROM A SPECTRE 150 TO A SABRE2 135. NOW I AM LOOKING TO BUY A 120. SO MY QUESTION IS IF I WANT SOMETHING TO HELP ME PROGRESS IN CANOPY PILOTING WHICH WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE? IN THE FUTURE I WOULD LIKE TO START LEARNING THE BASICS OF SWOOPING. BOTH ARE GREAT CANOPIES, BUT WHICH WILL BE BEST ALL AROUND?? ANT SUGGESTIONS?[:/]

According to your profile, you have 135 jumps. Why do you feel you need to progress to that small of a canopy so quickly?

On another note, please don't type in caps, it makes it seem like you are yelling. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I won't address the downsizing scenario (for fear that the canopy nazis will jump on me, plus I've never seen you land). But I do know that I like the Sabre2 canopy because it's a 9 cell as opposed to the 7 cell Spectre. The Spectre is a good canopy, but the Sabre2 will glide further and surf more.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

my weight is 115pd. 135 out the door. thoughts.

With a Sabre2 135 the wing loading will be 1:1, which is fine, it's all I can say, I don't have enough experience to advise anything.

If you want to learn how to swoop do it on the 135. The 1:1 wingloading will give you a decent swoop but more importantly it will force you to fly the canopy to its limit but still give you a lot of safety margin. You will be able to pull yourself out of mistakes with the 135 that you might not with the 120. Also the 135 will be much easier to resale thatn a 120.
Finally, if you look at the profiles of most top swoopers they spent hundreds of jumps on canopies loaded at 1.0 to learn the proper techniques before downsizing.
Chris

GREAT ANSWER CHRIS! I agree, fly your 135 until the cows come home. Not only is it safer, but you will learn faster because you can make the little mistakes at that wingloading that you can recover from. On the 120 you will have to be a lot more conservitive and it will take longer to learn because you can't afford to make the mistake on it.
Dom

I am a low time jumper myself so I am basically repeating what some more experinced guys have told me. From the advice I have gotten it is best to take a canopy and fly the hell out of it. Learn everything you can about flying it before you try something else. It takes more than a 100 jumps to do that.

My first Canopy is a Spectre 170, and I love the hell out of it. I've flown a Sabre 2 210 and was also impressed. My plan is to put 300-400 jumps on my spectre before I start looking around. Who knows I might even keep it longer than that.

i would say stay with the current canopy and learn it first.

then once you learn how to do carving turns and land this parachute where ever you want, then it might be time to get a smaller canopy.

and i have another question for you, if you still have to learn this size canopy (135) why do you have such a small reserve (pd 113 is what you have in your profile)?? i am not bashing you or anything, i just am wondering why you have a reserve that is smaller than your main. it doesn't make too much since to me (hell, i wish i had a bigger reserve, but my container won't hold it). and again, i'm not bashing you or anything, i'm just asking a question.

later

SOMETHING TO HELP ME PROGRESS IN CANOPY PILOTING

Allways better to start on 7 cells.. You can learn more lower speed flight maneuvers. Fly slower. Learn to hold longer. Work on accuracy better. Learn how to land a 7 cell well and 9 cells is a snap. 7 cell canopies like the Triathlon and Spectre are a different beast than Sabres.

Master the 7 cell and when you actually do have to use your pd113 your chances of handling it well will go up drastically.

My reserve is a pd126. I use to fly a Diablo110. Although the Diablo was a VERY HIGH performance 7 cell canopy it still has the thin line bottom end 7 cells are known to have. Hope this helps..

Rhino

hey Katie, it's Chrissy from Michigan, I just recently went through the downsizing process myself and another thing to keep in mind is that a 120 square foot canopy loaded at 1.1 reacts at a higher performance level than say a 190 sq foot canopy loaded at 1.1. Since we are lighter than the typical guy, they don't usually take that into consideration when giving advice about canopy size.
Sporto and friends are invading ASC in a couple of weeks, hopefully I will get down there at some point to get some coaching.

~La La Gang Member #2~

Chrissy! How are you baby! I'm excited to hear you might come and visit. We'd have fun. Yah, I'm flying a 135 right now. I'm having so much more fun on it than my spectre. You can be so much more aggresive it seems. I've discussed a 120 with the boys and it seems to be an o.k. idea in a couple more jumps. Just thinking ahead you know. Let me know when you might be here. Bring MaryKay along too! No wine this time!!!

I've been great! I am sure you know your own ability and I think the people you jump with might now a thing or two about caopies ;) So have fun with it, I just started to enjoy flying my canopy, ever since I got my Samurai. I'll let you know when I am thinking of visiting, things get so hectic at the end of the season with Rantoul and Richmond at the Bridge. And definately no wine!

~La La Gang Member #2~