BMFin

Airlocks ?

Just as an aside:

Germain
November 12, 1996

------------------------------------------------------------Valve apparatus for ram-air wings

Abstract
This invention describes a ram-air type inflatable wing that is resistant to deflation. The inflatable air wing includes a plurality of cells disposed between the top and bottom skins of the wing, with at least one valve positioned within each of a plurality of cells. Each valve generally inhibits deflation of the cells when the air pressure inside the cells is greater than the air pressure outside the cells and permits the cells to inflate when the air pressure outside the cell is greater than the air pressure inside the cells.

Brian quotes Jalbert's patent (#3749337) in his patent; so he knew about it. I don't know if it's my computer, or the USPTO, but I can't view Jalbert's patent. Go and check it out for yourself if you want Brian's patent
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Just as another aside (if I may):

For official reference: http://www.bigairsportz.com/germain-airlocks.pdf

Fun note: The actual patent certificate issued to Brian is hanging in our shop in Z-Hills. :)
If you want to read about pros and cons, check out the reviews on the Big Air canopies in the Gear section of dropzone.com.

With regard to cell pressurization... One of the things we observe in airlocked canopies is that the airlocks helps to deter or dampen oscillation or breathing of the canopy.

As for rangling an airlocked canopy after landing, there is a technique where you get the canopy to fly on the ground on its top surface and it stays put, even in the nastiest of winds. All the discussion about the "air mattress" after landing should tell you something about the how the airlocks work, don't you think? ;) The method is describe in the Big Air Sportz Owner's Manual.

If you're going to Rantoul, come by and see us and ask one of us to show you a "convincer." They're very cool.

Andy

[email protected]
Big Air Sportz, Inc.
www.bigairsportz.com

do you really think an elliptical canopy is appropriate for someone with 20 jumps

From Big Air web site:

Keep in mind, however, that the slightly shaped planform utilized in the Lotus is absolutely minimal. The Lotus is, for all intents and purposes a rectangular planform, with a little shape to omit wrinkles and reduce the toggle pressure

I have not read the entire thread. I jump @ 5000' MSL in mountainous terrain. I have flown Stilettos for the last 4 years. I think airlocks are a great idea, and demo'd a Sam 120 last year. It was a great canopy. I still like my Stiletto more. I jump near dust devils, mountain wave shite, and just about any type of turbulence that one can experience in the U.S. My Stiletto has yet to lose more than an end cell on occasion. NOT TO SAY THAT IT CANT HAPPEN!!! Just my experience.

I really love my Vengeance! I have had no trouble collapsing the canopy after landing and the packing is like any other canopy I have packed. My only consern is how much it will float after a cutaway.

The wing seems very rigid even in hard turbulence, I load it at a little over 1.5.

Hope my input helped...

/Toby

Actually if you use the following technique, being dragged is no longer a concern:

Airlocks After Landing:

There are many schools of thought on the topic of walking in wind with an airlock canopy. Although many methods work well, there is one way that has tested well in most conditions. Here are the steps:

1) As soon as you are on the ground, release one toggle. This will send the canopy into a turn. As you do this, lean your body weight upwind to tension the lines. This will quicken the response to your input.
2) When the canopy if facing the ground, let go of the remaining toggle. This allows the canopy to fly into the ground.
3) Take a step forward toward the parachute. The canopy will then float on its back, with the nose facing you. There will be little or no drag at this point, which allows you to stand still for a minute and rest from your jump.
4) Do not stow your toggles or push the slider back up just yet. The cupping action of stowed toggles will increase the drag of the canopy, and pushing the slider up in this configuration will form an inflated wall that will be hard to walk with.
5) When you are ready to walk in, separate your front risers from the back risers. Pull the front risers away from the canopy, so as to tension only the nose of the parachute.
6) Next, grab all of your lines in this offset configuration and push the slider back up to the canopy and loop the lines in one hand. By tensioning the leading edge only, you end up changing the shape of the wing from a wall into a tube. Tubes have less drag because the air passes right through them.
7) Flipping the nose of the canopy to the top seems to help keep the air from re-entering the wing. Without a constant influx of air, the pressure in the wing will gradually drop as the outside air presses against the inflated mass. By the time you reach the packing area, most of the air should be out of the wing.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Next, grab all of your lines in this offset configuration and push the slider back up to the canopy and loop the lines in one hand.

Thanks for posting this procedure, Brian. I normally keep the slider behind my head until I get to the packing area, but I doubt that will make a difference.

I heard a rumor that the Lotus is available in a 210 size. But it's not listed on your website. Any truth to that? I like recommending them for students that are interested in airlocks, but some of them want larger than 190 to start.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I will build a Lotus 210 personally if one is ordered. We are productionizing the new size at PD shortly. If it works with the production department, we'll be offering a Lotus Student with F-111 ribs to ease the packing. We'll post its release if and when it goes through.

The sizes will most likely be: 210, 230, 250 sf
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com