billvon

GoPro Hero

Bill! Really? Search? ask a local ;)?

I've used one a lot for handcam on tandems and a couple helmet mounted for wingsuit etc. I've also used it moutnain biking and some other fun stuff. It's great for web, play, but that's about it. Check out my facebook videos.

Also, I suggested we use them at the school rather than a larger/heavier camera for handycam...

be cool,
karen

http://www.exitshot.com

Ok, got it last week and had the opportunity to test it during the Elsinore 2-way scrambles last saturday.

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J93mzy7gXQ

And here are my impressions:

Overall: Loved it!

I mounted the camera on my fullface RW helmet with one of the curvy double tape mounts that comes in the kit. I'm satisfied with the variety of mounts the kit offers. It is also nice to know that you can purchase the other kits from the manufacturer (I plan on buying the suction mount for my motorcycle and to stick it to the wing of the airplane to film some exits).

You can't even feel there's something there, so light it is.

Operation is pretty simple and straight forward.

I liked the image quality and the colors and contrast. The wide angle is perfect for AFF instructors and coaches. I've heard a rumor in Elsinore that Perris bought a couple for wrist mount on tandems that don't want a full video treatment.

Opening the waterproof case after a jump is difficult, I think because of some pressure buildup or something like it.
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

I was worried about the mount. So it was OK with the included stuff, eh? Interesting. Got mine in and am about to mount it on my helmet. Going to put another mount on my camera helmet and use it as a backup.

:)

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

A rigger friend of mine made an adaptation with one of the helmet mounts they provide. The one that has one strap on each side. He replaced the two straps by one long one, and I used it around my belly for some 4-way footage.
I was worried that with the small area underneath the mount, the camera would flip with the wind force and film my belly, but amazingly it was stable all the way. Very nice point of view. The velocity openings looks even more dramatic on that perspective!
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

I have been thinking about picking up one of these, not only for skydiving but motorcyling, ground launching, water sports, etc... I plan on getting into video someday, maybe not tandems so much, more for just fun.
The question I have for some of you more experienced folks is, what do you think of me mounting one on a helmet with me only having 120 jumps? I would not be trying to do any serious video at this point obviously. Would you consider this not a wise decision? I believe I am a little advanced for my whole 120 jumps since all were done within less than 9 month ago. 70 of which were within 2 weeks down in Eloy recently. Anyway, I will probably buy one regardless (for other stuff), but really wanted some of your guys' opinions about this before I show up at the DZ with one. In addition, considering the price, I am sure there will be quite a few newbies like myself showing up at the DZ with these cameras this summer. It might good info for many others to read.

Thanks,
Justin
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

>what do you think of me mounting one on a helmet with me only having 120 jumps?

In general a bad idea. I'd wait until at least 200.

>I would not be trying to do any serious video at this point obviously.

This, in a way, is another warning sign for me. It's akin to the "I'm going to downsize but be REALLY careful and just land it straight in" thing. That, to me, tells me someone is going to get a new canopy and not try to learn how to fly it (how to turn low, how to turn in the flare etc.) And being in that position - having gear that you're not 100% sure of - can lead to some very bad things, because often problems find jumpers when they least expect it, not when they have agreed with fate that it's OK to have problems now.

A camera is a little different in that you don't need it to land. But I still think you are better off waiting until you have a few hundred jumps and then getting some good instruction on how to do video. There's a lot to it, and you can't 'avoid the risk' by pretending you don't have a camera on your head. Issues (like messing with it just before exit and forgetting to check your PC, or wanting to turn your head towards something interesting to "get the shot") will inevitably come along, and you are better off (IMO) having the experience and training to deal with them well.

I appreciate you being honest and giving me your insight. I have no problem with waiting, it sounds like the smart thing to do. I also, definitely think getting some instruction on how to do video from someone experienced before hand would be a good decision.
At the rate I am jumping and will continue jumping at, I am not very far from 200+.
Thanks again,
Justin
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

Like BillVon said, really not a good idea. Have you read the sticky yet?

dragon2, thank you for the recommendation! Just read through sticky. A lot of good info there!
www.theflystyle.com

Done a few jumps with mine now and think this is a great fun little gadget.

I'm impressed by the quality of the stills. It's no digital SLR but good enough for having fun with and a lot cheaper. For people not wanting to do serious stills (tandem's etc) the pictures are easily good enough. I've attaced a few. Note i've edited out the blacksopt on the sun.

The video also was better than my expectations. With all the included mounts you can have a lot of fun experimeting with it. You could stick it on almost any helmet so could save yourself from buying a new helmet for camera jumping.Here's some i took with it mounted on my legstrap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebIlc_Oa3M8

Overall i really like this little thing and can't wait to use it some more.

Some videos I've made using it.

Helmet mounted, facing both forward and backwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J93mzy7gXQ

Belly mounted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STgWpoGgtEk&feature=channel