Dumpster

If You Were to buy a camcorder TODAY.....

I'm not sure why you're so convinced the CX has problems for wingsuits if you've never flown one?

Cause Jarno says it does.

The footage Im looking at is high-speed flying shot by cameras on stands (sticking out from the body). And the people watching over my shoulder didnt notice anything wrong with it.

But being an anal-retentive-pixel-pushing-nerd, I tend to look at this stuff a lot more detailed (and full-screen on a 30 Inch monitorB|) then 90% of the end users.

Even having seen the issues, I was about 3inches removed from ordering a CX12 when the new CX105 was announced. The issues Ive had with moisture (even with a camera in a good enclosed D-box) over the years with tapes and/or the cameras itself during jumps are no match for the ease of use of digital media and the much faster processing time.

No matter how much you sugarcoat it...if you spend a full day editing at a boogie/event (like the swooping vids you do often Saskia) you are spending most of your time actually capturing the footage.
Just a quick copy saves soo much time.

And doing a full boogie video (like Im doing now for an event I did a while ago) and having 4 hours of tape to capture...thats 4 hours spent waiting for stuff to download..which could be done within half an hour...

Once you go fully digital (which everyone will have to at some point) you'll never want to go back.
So far my experiences have been editing stuff for others and doing non-jumping videos. But its the future...tape sux;)

So does OIS...and glad to finaly see some cameras that also solve this (be it with slightly worse lenses and having to wait for them more than a few months...or so it seems..)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

the importer here mentioned end of fabruari 'for sure', but when I asked about it maybe being later (march/april, like DSE mentioned) he didnt sound to convinced anymore..

Hoping to get some more details on that one..
Now that I know which camera I want...they throw me a new curveball...do I want a silver, black or red version...

I think Ill take the RED ONE..;):D

hmm..dont know if that nickname is what influences the delivery time..B|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The HDR-CX100/HDR-CX105 is one that looks pretty good. HD, EIS, 30mm lens threading, all solid state to memorystick, unlimited 2.3mp stills while recording video, 240 frames per second maximum record speed, very lightweight/small. Feb/Mar.

The HXR-MC1 is an HD camera with a separate video head. Video section goes on your head, recorder goes in your jumpsuit or wherever. Also HD, solid state etc. I think that's Feb as well.

unlimited 2.3mp stills while recording video

it's really coming... one device for both video and stills:)I'm sure the next model after this one (I guess another year) will have even higher res. unlimited still capability while records HD video.
Will be a "neck saver" for sure.:)

>it's really coming... one device for both video and stills

Well . . . sorta. I have an HC5 that I use for RW, and it can take up to three 2.3mp still pictures while recording video. Picture quality through the video lens is pretty poor. It might be OK as a "better than nothing" option but it doesn't compare to even a point and shoot.

Please excuse me if my thought is way off point. I am currently reading my way to being informed regarding camera work. My thought is with HD and high quality video capable of being Blu-Ray worthy would it get to the point where frame grabs are just as good as consumer level point and shoots for stills? I understand at the professional and expert amateur level separate cameras are needed.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

The technology is there now to do it. It's not cost effective to put good/better glass in front of a video system.
If web-pix that are slightly washed-out are OK with you, then yes...screengrabs or stills shot while recording video will be fine for you.
If it's bigger than say...1000 x 500 pixels, the image will not be impressive.

What lens are you using?

I originally got some high-end low-profile skydiving lenses (0.5 and 0.3) to use with my HC5 for BASE, but after watching the footage on a good HD TV, I now jump bigger heavier lenses even for BASE as the picture quality is so much better.

I went to a Century 0.5 for tandem vids and Century 0.3 (BabyDeath) for BASE and have been much happier with the picture quality.

That said, when I want stills I use my trusty old 20D instead.

If You Were to buy a camcorder TODAY..... To be used to video flying - What would you get?

I can't say but it might be a good thing if you will also check the Camcorder Ratings of various brands. Examining the expert reviews might give you an idea which one is suited to your needs. Many who did it said it's cool.

Hope this helps.