weegegirl

camera screws

It's side-mounted with an L bracket. I had one of those screws with the big black plastic knob. It just made it easier to deal with when you have gloves on or are in a rush. But I think you are right with the 1/4" screw. I guess I'll just go by the hardware store.

But if anyone knows where to get one of those black knobby deals, let me know!!

the thread is "quarter-twenty"...

jt

Yes, 1/4" OD and 20 tpi. The depth of the threaded holes on cameras can be problematic too. They're usually fairly shallow which makes length of the selected screw critical. Too long, and you won't be able to get a clamp on your hardware. Too short and you won't have any engagement. At best you'll get 2-3 threads engaged if you're lucky, but with such a large coarse thread and a small load, it's fine.

On my CCM plates I had to grind my countersunk screws down to just the right length.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I went to True Value and bought a hex head screw that is 1/2 inch long (thread distance).

I also bought a black plastic knob that the hex head fits into very tightly. The knob is 1/3 inch thick by just under 1 1/2 inch across with scallops around the outside edge. It works pefectly and is very easy to get a grip even when I wear thick gloves.

I made three of them for less than $7.00 total.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I went to True Value and bought a hex head screw that is 1/2 inch long (thread distance).

I also bought a black plastic knob that the hex head fits into very tightly. The knob is 1/3 inch thick by just under 1 1/2 inch across with scallops around the outside edge. It works pefectly and is very easy to get a grip even when I wear thick gloves.

I made three of them for less than $7.00 total.

Now there's a shock... you buy hardware from a hardware store and you get it at a fair price. :D

Buying it anywhere else is like buying Dytter batteries in a gear store... overpriced by like 4 times at least.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com