sky-pimp

What features do you want when buying a camcorder?

OK i know we have had the
'what camcorder should i use'
question lots of times but what i want to know is

'WHAT DO YOU CAMERA FLYERS WANT, what is important to you when making that investment ??
size ? DV in/out ? Mini DV ? Lanc port ? etc . any features you want to see

If i can get as much feed back as possible it would be much appreciated and hopefully beneficial to our community once i have finished collecting all the info i can .

thanks guys :)
YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

It is very benefical that people answer this thread in great detail. Sky-pimp has an amazing contact and over the past years has bought many many excellent condition sony cameras into the skydiving scene at the most affordable prices.

I hope people contribuute to this thread instead of just telling him to do a search.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Just by the question, I'm curious how "the whole community may benefit."
DV is dead. Mini DV *is* DV. LANC is effectively dead. Questions about HD, file-base, storage, Xfer of data, wireless video Xmission, form factor, encoder, glass would perhaps be more future-looking?
My list?
~Low MTF
~High bitrate encoder (20Mbps or faster) MP4
~High bitrate encoder (35Mbps or faster) MP2
~High speed CF or MSDP
~Zoom wider than 28mm (based on 35mm comparison).
~Progressive imager
~Framerates of 60p @ 1920 x 1080
~x.v. color
~HDMI output
~Port to digitally Xmit data when within 2' of the computer (automatic). Must be high speed.
~37 or 52mm lens mount threads
~Optical ND filterset
~EIS or better, user-selectable stabilization
~Large memory buffer for slow motion recording (at least 3600 frames vs current 360 frames)
~OLED screen
~profile memories (one-touch and everything about the camcorder is set for the jump, ie; zoom, focus, colorspace, framerate, exposure)
~Low profile -due to focal length/width of HD, it's unlikely we'll see narrow, but tall camcorders for a long time if ever. Making the camera more low profile for top mount would be my own next priority.
~14bit internal processing
~EVF in addition to LCD panel
~Dual-stream record to web-friendly size/format
~mxf containers
~powered I/O
~external mic input
~$1200.00 USD or less

SD video? haven't shot a frame of SD in about 3+ years, and the manufacturers have developmentally phased it out....

I don't really have much to add to what DSE said, all I am interested in anymore is HD in as high quality as you can get in a small form factor and light weight. Like DSE said tape is pretty much dead and solid state recording is the future. I currently have an HC5 and don't ever see myself going back to SD video. My next camera will most likely be a solid state camera. I prefer not go with first gen cameras so I didn't get the CX7. I prefer to let others be the guinea pigs.;) Oh and at less $1000 would nice.

Direct access to features trough real press buttons instead of the stupid touch screen. As it used to be on cameras in the late '90s. I wouldn't mind to pay the extra $ either If colud have a small video camera
(up to date standard HD quality like HC9, CX7) with the features of my good old VX2000. A true professional video camera in a size and weight of the consumer camera. (Technically it's possible now days).
Can you really make this happen? Do you have the connections and the infulance to push Sony or any other manufacture to make this happen? That would be awesome!!!
-Laszlo-

I think you will find going by what he sells is that he is trying to find out what cameras he should be purchasing from his supplier at very good prices to then sell to the community at better prices that one would find usually.

I don't think he is redesigning the camera.

If he is then he is alot more connected than i thought from the communication we have shared.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I am not a "real" camera flyer, I just make some of my jumps with a camera on my head. I have a 60 minute cassette in my camera, and when it is at its end, I just rewind it and use it again. Only purpose of the videos is briefing and debriefing students or fellow jumpers and myself.

I am not interested in all the quality stuff, or the fancy features.

I am interested in a camera that produces video, is lightweight and small. I want a new one to fit in my existing camera helmet without too much trouble, and I'd like the thread size to be 25 mm so I can keep my wide angle lens.

And of course it must be unbreakable and cheap. :P

blue skies,

http://myjumps.blogspot.com/

I am not a "real" camera flyer, I just make some of my jumps with a camera on my head. I have a 60 minute cassette in my camera, and when it is at its end, I just rewind it and use it again. Only purpose of the videos is briefing and debriefing students or fellow jumpers and myself.

I am not interested in all the quality stuff, or the fancy features.

I am interested in a camera that produces video, is lightweight and small. I want a new one to fit in my existing camera helmet without too much trouble, and I'd like the thread size to be 25 mm so I can keep my wide angle lens.

And of course it must be unbreakable and cheap. :P

Amen! Sounds like a dream camera.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I don't really care what type of cable/connection is used (firewire would be nice). The CX7 has no method of recording from another source, which means I have to lug around my laptop or another camera with input recording.

thats the one thing that made me stop and think about the cx7, I really would have liked to have been able to copy from other skydivers at the end of the day, without lugging around a laptop.

I ended up ordering it anyway, but really wish that had been included

Direct access to features trough real press buttons instead of the stupid touch screen. As it used to be on cameras in the late '90s.

Actually, what would be better would be user programmable function buttons. There's no way to put enough buttons on a camera to access all the functions they pack into them and no matter which ones do have buttons they will always the wrong ones for someone.

Let the user pick the functions they want quick access to.

SkydiveAllegan.com

Just by the question, I'm curious how "the whole community may benefit."
DV is dead. Mini DV *is* DV. LANC is effectively dead. Questions about HD, file-base, storage, Xfer of data, wireless video Xmission, form factor, encoder, glass would perhaps be more future-looking?
My list?
~Low MTF
~High bitrate encoder (20Mbps or faster) MP4
~High bitrate encoder (35Mbps or faster) MP2
~High speed CF or MSDP
~Zoom wider than 28mm (based on 35mm comparison).
~Progressive imager
~Framerates of 60p @ 1920 x 1080
~x.v. color
~HDMI output
~Port to digitally Xmit data when within 2' of the computer (automatic). Must be high speed.
~37 or 52mm lens mount threads
~Optical ND filterset
~EIS or better, user-selectable stabilization
~Large memory buffer for slow motion recording (at least 3600 frames vs current 360 frames)
~OLED screen
~profile memories (one-touch and everything about the camcorder is set for the jump, ie; zoom, focus, colorspace, framerate, exposure)
~Low profile -due to focal length/width of HD, it's unlikely we'll see narrow, but tall camcorders for a long time if ever. Making the camera more low profile for top mount would be my own next priority.
~14bit internal processing
~EVF in addition to LCD panel
~Dual-stream record to web-friendly size/format
~mxf containers
~powered I/O
~external mic input
~$1200.00 USD or less

SD video? haven't shot a frame of SD in about 3+ years, and the manufacturers have developmentally phased it out....

I want one tell me where to get it B|
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I'm really looking forward to the Scarlet. Chances are, based on my existing/previous experience with RED, I won't buy one, but it is certainly interesting.
it WON'T be a tandem vid camera, no matter how it's sliced. But...
Hey Brooke, I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours;):):P

durable...
reliable...
under 750USD

i used a few sony camcorders which had good input capability and bypass... the trv series of mini dv.....
...So bypass,
for the purposes of updating real old jumping footage,,, i e vhs tapes... these sony models allowed me to input via the jacks from a player deck and then record onto the mini dv tape and even output simultaneously via firewire to the computer...

It let me record old VHS tapes ( GASP!!!!:o:D:P,,,,,) direct onto dvd via the computer.

i'm a believer in the lanc benefit, and also liked the old button switches, both for record mode and in playback editing mode.. real easy to use and to get to...:|
oh well.... touch screen and /or remotes seems the way of today..

hmmm other "wishes" ??:)
maybe some color!!! bright colors, or interchangeable inserts, of different colors???
an easily removable handstrap,
another type of access cover for the various ports, so they aren't flapping open in freefall,

a better and stronger threaded front end at the lens areas, ( i've snapped one or two plastic ones, while using a big or heavy lens) [:/]

a zoom capability, which is mouth-operated, maybe via, an inhale/exhale tube. hell i'd spit out my still switch to go to a tube, which will let me zoom the camcorder, say, while under canopy.... (sighting, will be crucial then.. )

an owners manual in plain english and NOT some translation.....and with an index which has everything i might ever want to look up...

and lastly....;):)ANY lift ticket, at ANY dropzone, where i may go...B|
( Ok,,,, let's limit the printer to one or two a day...)... i'm not greedy......;);)

jimmytavino
a 3914

scr scs nscr

My PC-350 though has a hand strap I can remove and re-fit at will. First camera of... 4 (I think) where I can do that - the others all needed to be cut or otherwise butchered.

When I use the camera in a non-skydiving environ it's nice to be able to put the strap back on.