DSE

LANC control

I've been given the greenlight to talk about controlling non-LANC camcorders, as there have been so many questions.
You'll shortly see a new control system that provides more than just an indicator of camera on/off, connected via the AV/D link of the Sony camcorders.
Contrary to an earlier post, this is NOT LANC in another connector. It's entirely a different protocol, and is much more complex and less cut/dried like LANC is. However, due to it's complexity, it can perform much, much more than mere start/stop/indicate.
The underwater housing manufacturers have been working through this connection for over a year, and it functions very nicely. There are some issues related to skydiving, and those are being addressed by the developer of this control.
I for one, am very excited about what this new control brings to the table, as whether you're shooting 4 way, tandem, or freeflying...it offers SO much more than the typical controls have offered.

It'll have a "Talent" knob too. We're still discussing a "Suck less" knob feature.

Then there is the option to mount a target on your tandem student's forehead or the ass of the key on a four-way team. The device reads the target via IR when the camera op is within a 100' range, and swivels the camera to the target, thus assuring no more missed shots, assuming the camera flyer never sinks low on the student or the formation. That'll cost you extra though.

I'll pay for the "Suck Less" feature, I'm interested to hear if the "Get the shot every time" feature is standard or not. Also will this be treated as a performance enchancing substance and will be tested for at Nationals or does it still not show up on the screening tests?

Further is it availble in NTSC and PAL versions? :P

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Also will this be treated as a performance enchancing substance and will be tested for at Nationals or does it still not show up on the screening tests?
:P

Since they're gonna have to reconfigure video rules for competition anyway...:) They just might as well figure this into the mix.
Not just PAL and NTSC (actually, it somewhat is a relevant question;) but it'll do SECAM and NTSC-J, too.
I'm currently beta-testing the suck-less option, and so far, it's not working. In fact, after this past week at Eloy, I found that it might cause suck-more. Flocking with some of the guys from this community...either they were beta-testing the suck-less, or I was truly sucking more.

Hi, as an owner of a camera with no lanc and no rec light [:/] I'd like to ask some questions.

You'll shortly see a new control system that provides more than just an indicator of camera on/off, connected via the AV/D link of the Sony camcorders.

Is shortly something like a month, 6 months or a year? Do you mean the A/V OUT connector, DV connector or something else? (read this as: "will this work with my hc28") Does it matter is camera is PAL or NTSC?

However, due to it's complexity, it can perform much, much more than mere start/stop/indicate.

Will there be a simple and affordable product with start/stop/indicate functionality too? Any ideas about the price?

I'd appreciate any details that you can disclose.:)

Doesn't matter if the camera is PAL or NTSC, inside the only difference is the imager and clock.
Any camcorder that has a D link on it will work.
Start/Stop are but two of the expanded functions of this really cool concept that all the cool cats will want/need.
price, TBD, but skydiver-affordable. Maybe we can get whuffo's to foot a bigger part of the bill.
Durability, more durable than LANC, IMO.
shipping...can't say. I know, but can't say. they're holding my SCARLET hostage if I tell.

Any camcorder that has a D link on it will work.

What is that? My camera's manual doesn't say anything about D link?

It is the A/V adapter socket that is shaped like the letter "D".
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

This has both a power indicator light and a record indicator light, but I think it might be a little too big to mount on the old ringsight. It is a step in the right direction, though and with a little soldering, might be able to drive an led on a cable.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665304384&tab=Features

Remote Commander for Camcorder RM-AV2 $49.99
Remotely control primary functions of your compatible Handycam® camcorder with this convenient remote commander for tripods.

Take control. The RM-AV2 provides remote control over the basic functions of your Handycam camcorder, including Record Start/Stop, variable-speed Zoom, Power, and Photo Capture. Clips directly onto your tripod's handle for easy access.
"A/R Remote" connection type for controlling Handycam camcorders

Clips directly to a tripod handle

Controls the basic functions of Handycam camcorders:
Record Start/Stop, Zoom Tele/Wide (variable speeds), Power On/Off, Photo Capture

Porch attachment for storing

1.5m A/V remote connector cable(Band attachment for unity)

A cam is ON/OFF of the power supply at the mode of the standby state

cool, that must be what dse was talking about.... Now just wait for your favorite cameye... :)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Thanks for the info!!!!
But there's even a better item on this very same site.
RM-VD1 Remote Commander
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=11034776&storeId=10151
The remote what we were dreaming about for a long time.... This is connected to the LANC and allows to take pictures while you're recording since it contorls the photo function as well.
I guess it still needs some rigging though to make it functional.
I'll order one and try to make it "Work".
Baybe after this we can use the same divice for both video and stills in the "Tandem World"
-Laszlo-

:)Other options shall soon make themselves known to you, but there is always that pleasure of doing it on your own.

I know you can't spill the beans yet, but you are such a tease and you enjoy it.:|:D
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity