DSE

What is wrong with this pic?

When I was over the center not everyone was in/one guy low. As we approached 6k, I backslid, intending to drop down to catch the deployment of one of the girls. By the time the low guy got in, I was too far back to comfortably return to the middle.
Aside from the perspective, the angle is too extreme? I'm not comfortable getting down closer than around 25' above the formation. Any suggestions on how I could better have gotten this shot without going lower, or do I simply need to learn how to dig deeper into the formation?
I could put on a longer focal length, but then I'd lose the speed, and this was fairly close to sundown.

Well, all I can figure is that there ar eno boobies in the picture. THAT's whats wrong with it.

As far as catching the deployment:
-Aren't you supposed to take the center?
-Did everyone track and she open higher so you could deploy safely under her?

The picture looks fine to me, though.
My photos

My Videos

Well, all I can figure is that there ar eno boobies in the picture. THAT's whats wrong with it.

As far as catching the deployment:
-Aren't you supposed to take the center?
-Did everyone track and she open higher so you could deploy safely under her?

The picture looks fine to me, though.

yes, of course I generally take center. However, this gal didn't have any pix of her deployment, so she dumped at 4K, taking the center for herself. That still left me plenty of room for vertical separation.
Nope...no boobies. Sorry to disappoint. I'll post em' next time I see em'.

Pic just looks weird to me. Would have been a much better shot had one of the positions not gone low and spent so much time fighting to get back up.[:/]

The question is, what are you attempting to "get"? There is nothing wrong with the shot per say but if you want a more "in the moment" shot, you will have to get closer to the formation at some point.

Instead of trying to explain it, I've attached pictures of a guy who is "pretty good";) at getting the kind of shots I think you're after. He's the other cameraman in the shots taken by none other than JP aka "Deuce". See if the pictures help answer the questions I think you're asking about where you need to be in relation to the formation.

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I don't have a problem with getting as low as Deuce is in that shot, so long as I'm on the outside, and yes, that last shot helps me envision what I could have done differently. Had I dropped faster and back outside, I'd have gotten a better angle.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant exactly that. Had I dropped faster and backslid further, I could have had a similar angle to McGowans. I was focused too much on getting the 'over the top' dead center shot, but wasn't able to, given the short time formation. All in all, I'd have been much better off going for the lower angle anyway. I could have gotten in for more pre-deployment shots of the central subject, could have gotten better angles of the base as the others tracked off, etc.
Thx for the input.

I agree with Scott, What are you looking for. If you look at the bottom picture of the 4 he posted, you get 2 outlooks on the same formation but from entirely different angles, obviously they wanted different thingsand had a different thought on how to get them. If you were interested in the opening shot of the primary subject then the formation footage was extra and you could have been planning a opening shot all along and been in the position that you felt would give a beter result?????? If you wanted to highlight the subject then a lower position with a more head on angle to the subject, or maybe the same low position (outside the formation slightly higher) but looking at or the subject jumper from the side. Either one would /might give what you were looking for separate then a "overall formation" top shot

Maybe I am missing someting on the first shot over Toole (I think that is the DZ) that you were looking for. The low jumper, if not the subject, was only of issue to be aware of their location for safety..

I guess I am not 100% sure what your asking..... The top shot was nice though of a 9 way

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

What is wrong with this pic?

Perhaps the pic looks awkward to you because eventhough this shot was taken near sundown, there appears to be the illusion that the sun is over head because you can see a shadow on the ground near the top of the photo, but sunlight on the ground near the bottom of the photo. This shadow seems to be from the clouds, but since it's sundown, I'm assuming it's a mountain. The majority of the divers are positioned over the sunlit area of the ground, however the divers themselves are not lit by the sun from above. One might assume that this is yet another shadow caused by the clouds, but again, since it's sundown, they are probably "above the sun." Regardless, this lack of sunlight on the divers allows the light from your flash to become more apparent, thus causing the light from the flash on the divers to be inconsistent in contrast with the sunlight on the ground. It almost seems like a greenscreen shot, with inconsistent studio lighting, and a great key but with no depth. Does this make sense or am I over examining this photo.

I just wanted to see if my obsevations helped. I'm not a still photographer so I'm sorry I can't give any practical advice.

Best Regards
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

so then the 9 way did complete, as the 'low person' eventually did dock.....

nothing wrong with the pic, except the formation is non symetrical...
If you had closed on the left leg of the base person with the green and blue stripe, on the main closing flap.....;) it could have accomplished 3 things.....
1 the formation would be balanced
2 you'd be looking right AT the person whose opening you wanted to capture.... (which by the way you did nicely anyway)
3. the others in the formation would have had a chance to pinpoint YOUR location, just prior to tracking away...

i like to jump with RW types who are alert enough to take into account where the Cameraman might be,,, come " time to go..."
less experienced types, who might even be well excited by the size of the dive they've just completed, often fail to think about where the
camera person is..... and a quick turn, semi agressive track, and trigger happy deployment, could put them and YOU in jeopardy.....[:/]
might be better to "flirt with the burble" above, than it is to drop down level or get below, just so as to avoid , a sudden "head on " scenario, as people turn and track...
jmy:)

I think the angle of the shot is just fine.. its all about what you are looking for in your photo.

As far as getting steeper above it, if that's what you want just do it. It's a bit weird at first, but just slowly let yourself sink down on it to get closer and steeper..
You'll feel the air getting dirty (the burble coming off the formation) and stay right there.. that will probably be as steep and close as you can get.

For me with photos.. there is no "incorrect" angle really, it's the story you want to tell, just like with video.

I just look at what the picture is for:
do you just want to show a nice photo: no wrong angle possible, you are being creative
use for a record: make sure all the grips are in there (so either steep above, or steep below with all the grips visible)

It's an endless list really.. I like the shot, It shows the formation, over the dropzone where it happened.. so there is a story there...

Iwan

When looking for a specific shot, I find that ground preparation, conversation, and dirt diving is important. Also the experience level of the jumpers and your familiarity filming those jumpers may be important too. With a well rehearsed jump, choreographed to leave you a safe place to catch your shot, and predictable jumpers, in the best case scenario your shot may be as hoped. However, when a jumper is not in their slot as planned or altitude becomes a concern, I recommend that you do just as you did and get the best safest shot possible. When jumpers want you to get a specific shot, they have the responsibility to be where they are supposed to be. Perhaps after landing, a debriefing and identification of concerns could lead to another plan and another jump.

It's a FTP as far as I know and if I remember correctly, he'd had it a while when those photos were taken and those photos were taken in 02. Chances are Mike has modified it to fit his needs.When I see him next week I'll ask him about it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING