davidpanal

What can I do when I do not jump to earn some money in the DZ?

Hi everyone. I do not want to sound like money hungary person but we all know how much we spend, so my question is when I do not have tandems to do video what can I do in the DZ to earn some money, is it ok to take photos of students landing or other things then show them if they want the photos, I do not want to embarrass myself, so please can you give me some advice. Thank you

If your not in the air shoot the ground photo's of tandems and other students for sure i do that every weekend .But you gotta be snappy about it ,i catch the students in the moment .Easy sell! Even when i don't have a paying video i still go up in the plane and climb outside and shoot all the exits of tandems or students and i can always make enough to pay my slot and then some..

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

What do you mean $100 for one photo?

if they are buying a digital copy on a cd you have to charge for presumed "lost revenue"..
if you were to sell them a copy for 10 bucks then they can go and make as many copies as they like at wal mart or wherever for way less than your time or work is worth.

do some research on your licesensing agreement. i dont think anyone wants to just give thiers away... but then again, you are asking all this on the dz.com so...

Thanks for the compliment!
No I don't print until they say I going to buy it.
Belive it or not most of the cases it's enough to show them the photo on the cameras LCD screen.
But lot of the customers want to see the picture on the computer display (I can do that too...)
I attached my very primitive agreement, I still need to actually ask a lawyer to make it better...
But it's still better than nothing.
And as I type this respond I just got a call from Wallgreens where some old guy who bought a picture from me 2dys ago wanted to scan it and reprint it. Walgreens wouldn't do it without my written release since I put the DZ logo, my name, the DZ's web address, and my web address into the picture (check out the bottom left corner of the image).
On an 8x10 print I make them smaller and semi transparent, so it won't ruin the photo....
...he has to buy the extra prints from me.
Also some smart asses come back to me like: "OK let's make it offical...Then how about the model release?"
I just tell them read the DZ waiver you signed already! (make sure whereever DZ you operate at the waiver contains a model release section too).
I hope I helped, good luck!
-Laszlo-

I would ask the DZ you are at for their blessing, and plan on cutting them in on the profit. Most places of business don't let other people just walk around making money on their customers without prior arrangement (and a piece of the pie). And for good reason. It is their overhead, their advertising, their liability, and their customers you are making money off of. Make a plan that cuts them in and present it to them first or you could find yourself unwelcome at "your" own DZ.

And ditto to everything Lazlo said. Don't let someone effectively buy unlimited rights to your shot for $20. BTW, I've bought two photos of myself from Lazlo while I am working video.

A good % to start with is 100.

then, start bargaining for your share.:D

Maybe it's just me, but if the people who are landing did not pay for video and you are NOT CUTTING IN ON THE DZ's BUSINESS by doing so, you will have no problems selling pictures of landings etc.

if they freak out you can take a million pictures show the subject the picture you want to sell then give them a business card with your website on it.

they can purchase the copy there.
(although, its the impulse buyer that you really want to sell to)
My photos

My Videos

Here at Z-hills I give a buck per picture to the DZ. So I charge $16 for an 8x10, I keep $15 for myself.
Remember this is actually a very good advertisment for the operation. People watch the video a few tomes and that's it. The $15-20 picture most likely will be on the wall even years after the jump. I have lot's of feed back already since I've been doing this for a couple years now. Jumpers hang their pictures up at work (like banks, doctors waiting rooms, and etc.) where many people can see them. And as I said earlier, I also put the DZ's logo and web address into the picture's bottom corner. It works!
Most DZ operators are realizing the potentional of free or cheap AD in the landig photos.
-Laszlo-

I give a free 8 x 10 print with each photo video package sold .Put my logo on the print and people go crazy over them .I believe it is the best advertisement there is . Like Laszlo has pointed out .I am trying to get a log made up for the dz i work at with the web address and ph # incorporated into the logo for each print .But all i have for now is my logo which has my web address and is linked to the dz for now. The dzo is seeing this as being some awesome advertisement .It excites people seeing the photo .

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

It's funny to hear you guys talk about how the DZO is understanding what good photos can do for the advertisement of the dz. I printed up bout 10 13 x 19's (TDM's, AFF,) and had them foam backed and laminated all at my expense, then took them to the DZ to help advertise the jumps and still's service and couldn't have any wall space to hang them up (yes there was open wall space).:S So let's just say I don't do those kind of things anymore and won't offer any help for free advertising anymore at my expense or add the dz logo/website to any images, unless it's mine. To bad more DZO's don't see the value in what we do.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Do 'SPEC' jobs. Jump with all the tandems and AFF students, video them, tell them to stay around while you quickly edit the dvd and then show it to them and the chances are a family member/friend or themselves will buy it, if they do not buy it sell it for a reduced rate.

Speak to the owner of the dz about doing this. It may bring his tandem video sales up percentage wise. Organize a special price for your loads to do this or pay the price you have to, every one that sells he gets a cut, your slot gets paid for and you get cash.

I bet you in the end you are making more money than the slots you are paying for and people do not buy them. Our dz went from 50% video sales to 75% sales doing this.

To pick the right people you get the ones with their parents their or grandparents, once they all weatch it you just simply say 'the dvd is here with manifest if you would like to purchase it, ask nicely and you may get a reduced rate'.

Do not offer the dz a percentage on this, you ask them to tell you the cut they want.

The owner here will think that either way, you fill the empty slot on the plane up and he gets that cash or you fill the empty slot up, he gets that cash and he gets extra cash from someone who opted out on video.

Let the customer opt out on the video before you jump with them or you will piss people off.
When you are getting ready to get in the plane just say you are doing a video of them to up your skill level or something. Say to them to stick around for 15 minutes to watch it after in a friendly way. After they have watched let them know they are able to purchase it , maybe even there and then say they can have it for 25% off depending on the vibe you get from the customer. If the video is good the chances of them buying it will be good. Once people actually see them on camera and how good it is with music they want it.

Again do it with landing shots but be professional about it, organize it with the owner of the dz and have a nice monitor to view the photos on. Sell them for 10-20 bucks. They will more than likely buy one or two. You can get a nice canon pixma A4 printer for around 100 bucks.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store