GPSJane

Putting a camera on my helmet for the first time

Hi

I am considering putting a camera on my helmet. Just wondering about everyone's views on whether to use a mount or a box?

My helmet is a Velocity from Skydance and I bought it because I knew I'd want to put a camera on it but now I realise that I should have bought a Bonehead or something that has boxes. Ok, they do make camera condoms but I am not sure this is as good as a box.

Also, what do you think about a sight?

I am really scared about hook-up points and since I'm not that experienced and it will be my first time jumping with camera I want to make sure I cover all bases.
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

id say if you're worried about it...dont do it. if you're thinking too much about it on the ground you're going to think too much about it in the air. distractions when falling towards the ground are bad with low experience. but hey..do what you want. the USPA says you are an experienced jumper.
what!?

The search will yield you a lot of answers. From an initial standpoint, you have about 100 jumps to go before you want to consider putting a camera on your head... at least as far as the USPA and most reputable camera flyers are concerned. I take their advice.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I prefer a box, as it provides better protection for the camera, and generally has fewer snag issues.
As for a sight, I prefer a "paper asshole" stuck on my goggles over the dominant eye..... it has no snag point;)
Please discuss this with your S&TA and the experienced camera flyers at your DZ.

One of your other threads is asking if you can go onto your belly while learning to sitfly. This points out that you have not got the basics of flying on your back yet as well as showing that you are trying to learn freefly.
You should not be putting a camera on your head yet.
One thing at a time, no point hurrying injury.

Learn your backfly, then learn your sit and then worry about a camera helmet.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

go to skydivingmovies
check my malfucktion (vid called helmet entanglement)

this was caused by...
-1 snagpoint
-inadequate hardware
-a little technical mistake

All this after a "relative" "lot" of experience...

Please stay safe.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

First, don't jump a camera and save yourself a ton of money!!:)
Second, FF2 makes a bad ass helmet that is reduces snag hazards and makes camera flying a lot better.

Third, have someone show you the dot on your goggle trick. It's free and works great, plus you don't add the snag hazard onto your helmet.

Fourth, talk to camera fliers at your DZ and get advice from them. They will probable give you shit about your jump numbers so make sure you are ready to fly vid.
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

I downloaded that video and watched it. There were a few people who picked up on the glaring error.

Sure crap happens and the lines got tangled in the ring site but once on the ground, you can see where it bent the crap out of the sight arm. I don't know how they do it over there in Europe but here, when they sent me my mounting bracket, they also supplied the nylon screws.

Just like on my farm, that is called a shear pin. Too much pressure and that is where it is designed to break. From what I see in the video it looks like the screws used were the metal ones instead. I can even see the type of screw head that was used.

*Note, do not do what that person did. Not a great mod in my opinion.

My helmet is a Velocity from Skydance and I bought it because I knew I'd want to put a camera on it but now I realise that I should have bought a Bonehead or something that has boxes.

You can put a box from Bonehead on your Velocity.

I am really scared about hook-up points and since I'm not that experienced and it will be my first time jumping with camera I want to make sure I cover all bases.

What's the rush? Why not wait until you feel that you are "that experienced"?

What's the rush? Why not wait until you feel that you are "that experienced"?

Because everyone "wants it now" eh Lisa?

Soon AFF students will be wearing cameras...

_
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…