AndyMan

Stainless rings and flexing risers.

Last weekend a course director and master-rigger told me that it is unncesary to regularly flex risers when the rig is equiped with stainless rings.

Is there any truth to this?

The logic as explained was thet the stiffness in the risers comes from nickel plating wearing off the rings, which isn't an issue with stainless.

Thoughts?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Interesting idea...I haven't heard that. I'd like to see some more info on it though before I stop flexing risers...

It certainly can't hurt to flex them, regardless!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I have a back pack under my bed that has the stiffest "risers" I have ever seen...no stainless, no nickle. Webbing, or any polymer fabric that sits in any given position for long periods of time will develop some memory (or stiffness).
...FUN FOR ALL!

I'd be interested to hear Bill Booth's opinion on this one, but my guess would be that's false - nylon will take a good set if it's kept in one position for too long, especially with temperature changes. Nickel plating hasn't been around for too long in skydiving, but part of the idea was better resistance to having the coating wear off - I think they used to use cadmium plating, which did wear off.

In either case, I'd still flex my three-ring nylon regardless of what the rings are made of. I'd just rather not chance that not working right when you REALLY need it.

Besides, it's not like it's a hassle to do, it takes 2 minutes tops.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Even if the cadmium or nickel plating does not wear off, sand can still contribute to riser stiffness.
Even without chemical contamination, any nylon left alone develops creases and takes a "set."
I will continue to flex my 3-rings everytime I remember.

While you're flexing the ring attachment webbing on your 3-ring risers, don't forget the white locking loop. A "stiff" loop could be a much larger problem than stiff webbing, because it's further along in the mechanical advantage chain. Riser webbing does get a little stiff from just sitting around, but getting wet, especially with salt or dirty water, and then drying while still hooked up, can really stiffen things up, especially the white loop. So when you disassemble and flex your risers, don't do it with dirty, sweaty hands. Cadmium and nickel plating does rub off on riser webbing, but doesn't seem to be a problem. Don't forget to wipe down your yellow cutaway cables with a silicon lubricant sprayed on a paper towel. This is the most important thing you can do to ensure an easy cutaway.

I buy and sell a lot of gear, in my opinion not enough folks are flexing their risers at the three ring point, they are taking a set and on cutaway easily lift the rig with reserve off the ground and in some cases require shaking to get loose. This should be some part of safety day, have some way to put your risers above you suspended then try to cutaway, some people may be shocked.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/a039/Parachutes/P1010700_zpsbfb21f55.jpg