skinnyshrek

Laptop or desk top

What would you guys recommend? the computer won't be that mobile. If i go anywhere i take the camper with me. What software would be best to edit videos. And how much am i looking at spending? I need speed and efficiency as you know how it is with tandem peeps.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

What would you guys recommend? the computer won't be that mobile. If i go anywhere i take the camper with me. What software would be best to edit videos. And how much am i looking at spending? I need speed and efficiency as you know how it is with tandem peeps.

What are you trying to accomplish exactly.
I take my Laptop with me everywhere and can burn CD's of stills rather efficiently -

If you make a leader and a trailer, and sequence your video - a laptop should be fine for DL and Burn - 5 minutes of prep and get on the next load - hand the video off when youget down and start the process again.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

As you know clint, where i go the camper goes. I think a laptop would be cheaper and better i just wanted to see what was more efficient. I can put 1500 dollars in a desktop and keep it in the camper. Not that a fly anywhere. Just what software is out there

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

true, but since space is an issue and He doesnt seem to be very computer savvy I dont think upgrades aregoing to be in the fore front of his mind.

(is that the frontal lobe:D)

For editing purposes even todays computer(in 5 years) will be able to handle the load.
My photos

My Videos

true, but since space is an issue and He doesnt seem to be very computer savvy I dont think upgrades aregoing to be in the fore front of his mind.

(is that the frontal lobe:D)

For editing purposes even todays computer(in 5 years) will be able to handle the load.

Right, my computer knowledge isn't up to speed. It would be cheaper to get a desk top but i was just concerned with the editing software i will use. I could also get 2 dvd burners with a desk top. Space isn't really an issue as its a huge camper.

wait a week or two and buy a computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (to be released on July 27th)

Use Adobe Premiere Pro 2 for editing. Get 2x 1GB of RAM modules & 2 fast internal hard drives (60-100gb for the system drive, and 300+gb for video storage)

Don't buy a laptop if you don't need one, the Hard drives are much slower to conserve power and lower capicity to conserve space, not good for DV video editing but workable, probably not workable for HDV editing.

The desktop will be cheaper and probably more powerful.

Don't buy a laptop if you don't need one, the Hard drives are much slower to conserve power and lower capicity to conserve space, not good for DV video editing but workable, probably not workable for HDV editing.

The desktop will be cheaper and probably more powerful.

We edit/composite/output from laptops every day for broadcast or distribution. DV, HDV, and even off-line HDCAM edits. Premiere, Avid, Vegas, Edius, etc. all run great on laptops.
HDD's can be just as fast these days, 7200 RPM drives have been available for nearly 3 years in laptops. Drive options are somewhat smaller, given that 120GB is about as large as you can affordably stick into most laptops, although Sagars and others are sticking in triple 7200's for half a TB in a single laptop. The weight will break your back though.
Vid cards for video editing are every bit as up to speed for laptops as desktops. If you're a gamer, it's a different story.
I don't recommend internals for laptops, heat becomes an issue, and the added weight causes the carriage to fail early. Use Firewire for external work, and the big benefit is that you can also easily transport a project from place to place or just carry the laptop.
Screen resolutions on laptops are also now at the 1920 x 1200 stage if you want big, but again, weight is a factor.
Desktops aren't much faster, and in many cases, desktops are now slower. Industry dev is heavy in laptop procs and parts, as desktops don't change much in size.
Used laptops are always a great option if you can find a trustworthy source. In about a month, we'll have 30 K37 Sony VAIOs for sale after we finish our certification tour for Sony Vegas software, if you're interested I'll post a link in Classifieds. They have 100DB HDD's, 1 gig RAM, and are being used for DV and HDV, both formats playing back full framerate and full rez. They also have built in DVD burn for +/-R DL media. You can pick up a brand new model for around 1700.00 at CompUSA or similar, with a faster proc.

with the dual core processors in laptops now a days they are really very fast and efficient.

My next computer system upgrade will be a desktop... but I just got a laptop over the summer... :D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

7200 RPM drives are fast enough for DV and possibly HDV, however most laptops come with 5,400 or even slower hard drives. you can get HD's for desktops up to 15,000 RPM (although 7,200 should be ok).

yes you can buy 7,200rpm drives for laptops but they are fairly new, not avaialble on all laptops and you'll pay a premium. the same things applies to graphics cards - high end is available for SOME laptops but at a premium

120GB may be enough if you don't store much on the system otherwise you'll have to lug around an external HD and power brick, not to mention the extra cost on top of your Laptop cost.

desktops are now slower.

quite a bold statement, i don't belive you are correct here.

Laptop's have come a long way, and if you NEED portability the trade offs are probably worth it, however if one of your primary uses is digital video editing, and you don't need the portability then a desktop is the way to go.

if you go to Alienware or some other high end laptop maker i'm sure you could get something capable of editing HDV comfortably, but you are talking about big $$$

BTW i have a 18month old Laptop that i use for video editing. I bought it because i needed the portability. I'd much prefer to have a desktop when i'm at editing at home. My next PC will be a desktop, and i'll buy a small light laptop to use when travelling (but not video editing).

desktops are now slower.

quite a bold statement, i don't belive you are correct here.

Taken out of context as you've quoted, of course it's a "bold statement." I said, "In many cases, desktops are now slower." And that's true
For 1.5k$, you can't buy a desktop as fast as as fast as a dual core, AMD proc laptop. not yet. And 7200rpm drives in laptops aren't anything new at all. Have been using them for at least 2.5 years, I've got an old P3 that even has a small 40GB drive that is 7200.

if you go to Alienware or some other high end laptop maker i'm sure you could get something capable of editing HDV comfortably, but you are talking about big $$$

No, I'm not talking about Alienware or anything else other than a CompUSA-available computer. Not BOXX, not Sagers, not Alienware(who use Sagers shells anyway) not a Ferrari/Acer, or other custom build. Standard, off the shelf systems, for HDV. Period.
Have you edited HDV? Do you understand the bitrate of 1080 HDV is exactly that of DV? (25Mbps) Same with size of file. It's all about the HDI, codecs, and workflow. DV=13GB of storage per hour. 1080HDV=13GB storage per hour.
Additionally, several of us here are editing 4:2:2 HD (not HDV) on a standard, off the shelf K37Laptop, which is not at all a custom build laptop. about 1500.00 at your local computer store. Again, it's all about HDI, and management. (If you can't do this, it may well be a result of PP2.0, it is more bloated than any app other than Avid Liquid. Good app, but hell on procs)
Sure, we love using our RAIDs in the studio when we're not traveling, but when we travel, our projects don't sit idle. We travel with them. And we finish our work for our clients on them. And burn proofs for clients from them.

HDV: what you need to know .

And at 4800 or 5400rpm, those drives are perfectly competent for DV regardless. With a thruput of 3.62MBps, the drives have oodles of horsepower beyond what DV requires, even for compositing.
BTW, there is NO PC desktop sub 2K that can touch my MacBookPro 2.16 at the moment. That'll change soon, but for the moment...It's the most powerful computer in it's class and in it's price category.

My comment was meant to relate to "In many cases, desktops are now slower." I still don't believe that this statement is correct. I can see that the way i quoted it looked like i was trying to take it out of context but i wasn't, so don't get your knickers in a twist.

Have you edited HDV?

no i don't have a HDV camera.

Do you understand the bitrate of 1080 HDV is exactly that of DV?

Yes, this does not mean that the same number of read and writes are made when editing HDV.

The point I was/am making making is that you will be able to get a better price / performance ratio with a desktop, this is what the poster was actually asking.

Instead of trying to defend and prove you individual points try stepping back and looking at the bigger picture. You may be the local "DV Expert" but sometime other people know what they are talking about too.

For what its worth, I own a Sager laptop and have had nothing but problems with it. The thing overheats, the shell cracked, it gives me problems constantly, and hate the fact that i purchased it.

I like the ability to be portable so will probaly buy another laptop it just wont be a sager.

Your going to get more power cheaper from a desktop, they don't have to spend money to make it small or trade off weight for power. Don't get me wrong, I think there are many great laptops out there that are good as desktop replacements, I just think you can get more for less in a desktop.

For what its worth, I am a full time computer nerd with a degree and everything, working in the IT field.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Well i am lost on all this computer savvy talk. How about you come out to the farm i will buy the equipment and your jumps all week-end and you can show me how to use the equipment.lol It will be worth it long time for me. All i need is a simple way to burn pics and transfer video to a dvd format Nothing to hard i guess for the computer wizzes. Also, maybe while your there do an intro so i can use that on the dvd

I was dubbing my tandem videos on my laptop for a little while, but its take a lot longer to do. Average from start to finish, was a bout 20-25 minutes. Granted you dont have to actually site there the entire time, its a lot of running back and forth. Figure 5-6 minutes to capture, then another 5 - 7 minutes of editing. Then at least another 15 minutes for it to render and burn. i would just rather sit down and spend 6-7 minutes dubbing on a mixer than running back and forth every 5 minutes to click something. I just switched back to a linear system and just keep my laptop for stills.

mm ok how much for the airfare? llol I am serious. I want to learn as much as i can to make a good video for the customer. Whatever it takes. By all accounts i am thinking maybe a desktop from what you guys say. Just let me know what to buy and you can teach me how to use it.. I am serious:)

I'm not a fan of the Sager's either. I use the BOXX system for some work, but prefer either the Sony or the MacBook Pro for most work, just because they're nearly 5 lbs lighter. Depending on the model, the Sagers are just too loaded/heavy for the cases, IMO.
SkinnyShrek:
What you need are these features:
1-1394/iLink/Firewire port. 6 pin is best, but rare on PC's.
2. P4 proc
3. Gig or more of RAM, but a gig is just fine for most uses.
4. Hard drive of at least 80 and preferably 100 gig. Figure 13 GB per hour of video, so that leaves you at least 4 hours plus of video storage after operating system, application space.
Everything else is gravy. More than one USB 2 port is great. Manual audio control is great. PCMCIA/Cardbus slot is great. built in wireless is pretty important to me, but maybe not to you.
FWIW, Walmart has HP laptops meeting all the above requirements for less than 700.00. Similar system in a desktop without monitor is 549.00.
Once you get to around 1500.00 in pricepoint, laptops and desktops are pretty close in price/performance. Once you get above around 2500.00, the laptop performance drops off, and desktop performance begins to significantly rise.
As mentioned by someone else, a linear system might be faster for you than non-linear for tandem vids. If you had an app that would allow for template building of videos with walk-in/walk-out segments, library cuts, and overlays, that would automatically fit edit points for you based on capture length, then NLE is faster, but it would take time to set that template up and script it.
Sounds like you've got someone good you can personally interface with at the DZ, and that is *always* a better option if you've got the resource.

BTW, if you can make it to Orlando, I'll be there doing an NLE certification course on HD in a couple weeks, would be happy to spend time with you. Maybe we could hit Deland after? ;)