DSE

HyPeye

After seeing the ads and chatting with Trunk, I got my hands on the HyPeye. Anyone else using one?
Used it today on a helmet with no post/ring sight, and it really impressed me, because with how bright it is, I was able to gaff it way off to the right of my eye and still have enough light to see it.
Kinda thinking about using it without the ring sight for a while, since I'm shooting fairly well back from the RW groups.
YMMV, but I like the device, FWIW.

One solution is to take a Cameye and put new LED's on it. Every part of a Cameye would be easy to reproduce except the button with the little circuit card in it (I wouldn't know how to make that part, at least).

I don't really have an issue with my Cameye's brightness though, when it all comes down to it. I can see it in freefall if I need to.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I was wondering about that, didn't know if anybody was using it yet. Brighter sounds good, but I really like the button on my Cameye.

I know a lot of guys like em', but find myself very glad I've not drilled my helmet. In a "professional" shooting environment, it's rare that the cam is stop/started like is done for competitions (as if I'd know, I've not shot any competitions) or shooting tandems. We let the cam roll from just prior to exit til hitting the ground. you never know what you might catch on tape.
McGowan and some of the others say they don't like the button because of riser strike issues and the fact the button fails first. That's another reason, I suppose. But for me, it is more about the fact that I don't stop/start the camcorder anyway. In fact, skydiving is the only extreme sport I'm shooting that "allows" me to start/stop the cam. Everything else requires both hands.:)

In a "professional" shooting environment, it's rare that the cam is stop/started like is done for competitions (as if I'd know, I've not shot any competitions) or shooting tandems.

What makes you think that competition camera flyers or school camera flyers aren't professionals? ;)

(Y'all might want to think about rephrasing that the next time.)

Anyway . . . I've used the CamEye since they first came out and the ONLY issues I've ever had with them had more to do with the way the Sony LANC socket is designed than the unit itself.

My "guess" is that the HyPeye will have a similar issue if mated and demated on a fairly regular basis.

My further "guess" is that, like the CamEye, the HypEye does not -require- that the camera be operated by the control button but can probably be started and stopped via the camera record button.

On the CamEye, you -can- mount the button portion inside the helmet and not use it at all if you don't want to. Granted, at this point the CamEye becomes "just" an indicator, but that may, in fact, be all you want!

I'll let y'all know what I think of the HyPeye when I lay my hands on one.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What makes you think that competition camera flyers or school camera flyers aren't professionals? ;)

I knew someone would bust me for that comment, and meant no disrespect for it. However, you also can't get a union ticket for shooting RW or freefly outside of broadcast or film (Even though they should) Anyone getting paid to shoot anything is a pro, arguably. At the same time, being paid doesn't assure quality, either.

I'll be curious to read your opinion of the HyPeye as well. So far, really liking it. I don't use a ring sight most of the time, and like that this can be farther away from my eye and still visible. I'm considering modifying an old Mindwarp to hold this in the actual helmet itself, just for giggles.

Guys,
If you have any questions about the HyPeye I will gladly answer them in this forum. Deuce, I do believe I showed you a early model HyPeye during the holiday boogie this year, but nice try with the sponsorship :P.

Oh and if people want to try it out. I'll have a few at Rantoul for demo purposes.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

Maybe it is where I live, but I have never really found a need to have a brighter light. I have always been able to see it when I needed to, and for the most part i just check the light on my cameye before I climb out. If its too bright i just put my hand to my ringsite and I see it real quick.

Meh, dunno. I guess I just don't know if I like the idea of a "brighter" light shining directly into my eye while im skydiving/shooting video.

The lack of a button is nice though. I have no real need to use the button because of how my helmet is set up.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Brains, I'll send you out a replacement right away. Our return policy is lenient and since we are in the states, the time to get a replacement is typically around 3 days. The Hypeye is encased in epoxy so it generally takes a lot of stress to make it fail.
There is more to the HyPeye than just the brighter LEDs. For one, you don't have this narly switch to mount on your helmet. A lot of the camera cases have the switch accessible. For me and a bunch others, controlling the camera from there is just as easy as an external switch. Plus the HyPeye is less expensive than the Cameye II.
HYPOXIC

Hey Trunk--

How's it going bro? I really dig mine too. I wasn't using the button on my CamEye so mounting the Hypeye was a bit more comfortable and it's nice and bright. Now take a couple days off from making them so we can get our jump on! :P

--Keith
Arizona Drive 4-Way VFS - www.DriveVFS.com

couple of thoughts came to mind as iread though posts thought I would share them

1. if it is bright enough I a will have trouble seeing cam eye I am wearing sunglasses or tinted face sheild and can slip the LED inside it

2 if the buton fails cut wire in front of and behind it wire matching wires back together and you have a hype eye ( have never tried this it is theory )

3 hype eye is way over prced for what it is come on guys it is a light on a three way mini plug at least with cam eye you can pretend it isnt a 200% markup

4 I am working on making a pigtail to plug into the camera that can be taped in place with a seperate lanc plug on it so that you dont wear out the port on your camera may do this with A/V out also will post plans if it works (had issues with PC5 on side mounted L braket the vibration over a few years wears the port to big making cam eye fade in and out )

all in all they are both very handy tools but rember the best system is the one that works ofr you and if you forget to turn the cam on the best light in the world may not help (though have turned cam on in freefall a few times )

2 if the buton fails cut wire in front of and behind it wire matching wires back together and you have a hype eye ( have never tried this it is theory )

The "button" contains a few ICs and what not and is essential for the function. Then again, if the actual button fails, it will still work if one doesn't try to cut the wires...

3 hype eye is way over prced for what it is come on guys it is a light on a three way mini plug at least with cam eye you can pretend it isnt a 200% markup

Personaly I find it hard for someone to make such a niche product that cheap, no matter what it is made of. In this case there is an IC in there somewhere for it to work and someone has written a program for the IC.

Search the net and you can find the protocol that is used in the LANC port and even someone's PIC processor based design of a "hypeye" device. Just the parts cost 1/4 of the Cam Eye II when I looked.

FYI: There is actually 12 electronic components, a microcontroller and a 2 layer pcb that makes up the HyPeye display. It is a lot more than it seems and that is one reason why its so neat. Trust me acquiring the parts, designing, writing the code, building and testing one on your own will cost way more than the $50 sales price.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

FYI: There is actually 12 electronic components, a microcontroller and a 2 layer pcb that makes up the HyPeye display. It is a lot more than it seems and that is one reason why its so neat. Trust me acquiring the parts, designing, writing the code, building and testing one on your own will cost way more than the $50 sales price.

-Trunk

Screw the testing, designing....parts alone on small scale, plus the code, would cost double the retail price on a mass scale. Monstrously more if you were building small scale.
Heck, we build a small USB box using fairly standard parts with one small industry standard ROM, and it's not terribly profitable at 30 points over cost when you consider the cost of the programming alone, without the design and mold. Toss in small sales numbers, it's a tough market. I'd submit the professional video market offers more users than the skydiving market.
Trunk, your product was very impressive at the Xtreme Sports show. Maybe you're not aware with a touch of heat shrink and silicone, the Hypeye can be used in an underwater housing for kayaking, etc?

Screw the testing, designing....parts alone on small scale, plus the code, would cost double the retail price on a mass scale. Monstrously more if you were building small scale.

The design and code for a HyPeye like device is available on the net, so one doesn't have to spend time on that. I checked out what the parts would cost me and it was a 1/4 of what the CamEye II would cost me. So it is not that expensive and I might have made one if I had access to a PIC-burner, but it wouldn't have been as pretty as a CamEye nor HyPeye and the small saving would not have been worth it for me. I also stumbled over a new in box CamEye II for a good price... :)

The design and code for a HyPeye like device is available on the net, so one doesn't have to spend time on that. I checked out what the parts would cost me and it was a 1/4 of what the CamEye II would cost me. So it is not that expensive and I might have made one if I had access to a PIC-burner, but it wouldn't have been as pretty as a CamEye nor HyPeye and the small saving would not have been worth it for me. I also stumbled over a new in box CamEye II for a good price... :)

If you're just doing it for the fun of saying "I did it myself" I completely agree. The moment you take something on as a fun project vs considering your own cost per hour, you can't begin to rationalize dollars. I want tools that work, that look good, that fit my flow efficiently. Most of all, when they fail I want a phone number I can call and bitch to, instead of looking in the mirror and cursing myself for spending 20 hours at less than minimum wage when I could have bought it cheaper/better.;)

Quality and functionality are important, but placing blame is priceless.