YISkyDive

How to get "deep blues?"

I goofed with it quickly in PS elements and this is what I got without having it look over done. On a higher quality file with out the posting restrictions here, I am sure it could look even better.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here's a 60-second shot at it. That's a tough picture to begin with. For your basic tandem work, just play with the camera. For the ones you want to keep, a little PS wouldn't hurt.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Manual exposure setting to make the sky dark blue,
flash (in these cases a powerful one), RAW for better details and color range, and good quality lenses. (15mm Sigma f2.8, Canon 15mm f2.8, and Canon 14mm f2.8)
The camaras were only Digital Rebel an Rebel XT.
20D, 30D won't provide a better picture just lot more... But the 5D would!
BlueS! -Laszlo-

I'm am trying to solve this problem and I am desperatly trying to track down a technique I saw that might acomplish it.

I was watching a computer GEEK photoshop show on TV. The one trick the guy did in CS was open 2 pictures to the work space. One was of an oil painting of a seascape and the other was a completely different scene, a digital picture. He choose a few settings the equivelant to "copy attributes" of the oil painting and applied them to the 2nd picture, the digital photo.

The end product was that the digital photo was changed into what looked like the exact (and I mean exact) style of the oil painting as well as all the colors, hues and shading. It was incrediable, right down to the brush strokes.

I can not duplicate what he did and not for lack of trying. If you could find an awesome picture with deep blues and vibrant greens for the gound, this same effect could be accomplished with a minimal amount of effort.

It was from an older show but I was able to track it down as far as here CLICKY

without knowing more specific details I'm not sure I can make too much of an educated guess but... I would imagine that the individual was applying the color maping of the oil painting to the photograph.

its a fairly straight forward process and is interesting to do it to make b&w toned images...

http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/SampleToning/

of course like I said though I could be wrong... ;)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Thanks for the reponses everyone.

I'll mess with manual settings- but I dont fly a flash-- I use a rawa and have not really set it up.

Glass is on the list to get. And from the sounds of it a "filter" of some sort (except polorized) isnt the way to go.

thanks for the help-

I'll play with my 300D some more this week on some jumps.

-Dave.

180 shutter. f/22. iso 80. (No reason in my opinion to go higher ISO unless conditions call for it to be necessary.

Is there a fill-flash to brighten out the face? I'd never tried going to those extremes because I figured you'd lose the faces.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I did use a flash. One problem with automatic, if you have a dark subject (like the tandem) and the camera exposes that properly, the background will be washed out. I control the background with the camera settings, and the foreground with the flash.
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

I looked into this and ended up buying a Photoshop Plugin called "Velvia Vision" from http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/vv. I've attached what it did to the tandem opening that was posted earlier. It's a tough sky to improve and I've overdone it a bit to illustrate the effect. I've had fantastic results with other images.

You can get basic with your saturation-boosting, but there are Photoshop action files out there that will automate film stock emulation. For example, I have an action file that turns any old image into a "Velvia" image. If you apply it to anything short of a RAW file, though, it looks awful.