skymama

Slink Riser Covers

For all of you who might not have seen the article in Skydiving Magazine, I just wanted to pass the word that PD is providing slink riser covers free of charge "while supplies last" for people who have the soft link riser connectors. The article says that the SRC's are meant to keep the slider from descending over the toggles as the canopy opens, and avoid friction to that area that can cause wear and tear. They will also be including SRC's with every new order of soft links.

The number to call at PD is 386-738-2224. I made a quick call this morning and spoke to a very friendly woman who said I should get them next week.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yes, thanks Andi! I had to wait on hold for a bit probably 'cause Sunshine was taking too long. :P

This is exactly the kind of setup I want on my risers. I'm really happy with PD for sending them out for free.

Skydiving is for cool people only

Thanks, Sunshine and Jess. :$ When I first read about the offer, I immediately thought of Holly, and if the SRC's might have made a difference in her accident so I wanted to get the word out. From all the good things that people have said about her, I think she'd probably like knowing that because of her death, she's going to end up helping a whole bunch of people be aware of this safety issue and maybe save some lives.

And I agree with you, Jess, in applauding PD to providing the SRC's to us for free!

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I immediately thought of Holly, and if the SRC's might have made a difference in her accident so I wanted to get the word out.

Me too. That's why I'm changing my setup. The hypothesis of what could have happened in her accident is entirely possible with my gear, too. So I'm making some changes.

I think she'd probably like knowing that because of her death, she's going to end up helping a whole bunch of people be aware of this safety issue and maybe save some lives.

I think so too!
Skydiving is for cool people only

What happened???

A much loved dz.commer, FreeflyHol, died a few weeks ago in AZ. The entire thread is in the Incidents forums, and here's the direct link to what the hypothesis is from that thread. [:/]

Hi all!
Actually a better number to call PD at is 386 738 2224 - that is the main number (so it shouldn't ring busy unless we have all snuck home early for the weekend :P).

Also, since we have had a few people call wondering if you can install the SRC's and still take the slider down - the answer to that is NO.
Once the SRC's are installed, the slider will not come down below the risers (it can sit just at the very top where the covers are installed).

Have a great weekend everyone!
Blue ones,
Kolla

Blue Skies Magazine

Thanks, Kolla, I changed the number, I was just going off what was in the magazine. I hope you all don't mind me posting the thread about it. I just thought it was so great that the offer was made.

Also, since we have had a few people call wondering if you can install the SRC's and still take the slider down - the answer to that is NO.
Once the SRC's are installed, the slider will not come down below the risers (it can sit just at the very top where the covers are installed).

Ok, so the slider will just sit on the SRC's, right? Also, what keeps the SRC's from sliding up the lines??? Can somebody post photos of SRC's? There is nothing on PD's website... :S

There is a picture of them in Skydiving magazine. We will hopefully get a picture of them posted on the PD website as well. Basically, the SRC's fit over the tops of the risers, then the slinks are routed through both the SRC's and the risers. So, no, they can't go up onto the lines.

Well I guess that ends my debate since I pull my slider down on every jump on all my canopies. [:/]
Fly it like you stole it!

Thanks Skymama! I just called and got my order in. That is one thing that bothered me about getting slinks was that the slider would sometimes come down over my toggles and I'd have to screw with it to get the slider up and over the toggle keepers and above the slink. I was almost thinking about going back to rapid links just for that reason alone. Now, I can have the best of both worlds. Thanks for posting that info!!

I do have a question about the design tho...although it is quite trivial and I will still use them. It appears that the keepers are pretty rigid on the base. Is it going to affect the stowing of the risers at all in the pack tray, or do they collapse neatly ?

-- Matt

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Our web master will be posting pictures (the same ones that are in skydiving magazine to show what they look like).
In the meantime... you can imagine a pilgrim hat that sits on top of the riser, that is roughly the shape :)Keep checking the website - it should be on there soon (to start with the easiest way to find it would be to look under the "hot news" section).

The slinks are then threaded through both the riser and the SRC (slink riser cover), so the cover can not move up the lines.

Blooos!
kolla

Blue Skies Magazine

I don't mind pulling my slider down, but I don't like the loss of vision it causes. I also like to have all the time under canopy to fly, and to set up for the swoop.

I just put them on this past weekend. They work great, but, my slider tends to move up just above the slinks, and rub on my lines. I have tried loosening my chest strap to the max, and keeping it tight, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. It would be nice to have something at the top of the SRC's that you would have to pull the slider grommets past, and would hold the slider down on the SRC's. It would work kind of like the tabs on a collapsible slider. Any suggestions Kola? If I can't fix this problem, I will take them off, as I don't want to ware out my lines.

If I have time, I just might get out the sewing machine and try to "rig" something up. Possibly just a simple stiff piece across the top, like the bottom one, but not quite as stiff.

Blue Skies,
Wags

before releaseing the toggles pull the slider all the way down to the "V" in the risers. loosen the chest strap and voila! if it is below the toggles then once you grab them the slider cant go back up unless you let go of the brakes.. make sense? thats what I do anyways.. then I roll the slider as tight as I can and pull it behind my head.. only takes like 4 seconds and you can steer with your harness to help set up which you are doing everything else..
-yoshi

But like I said, I don't like the loss of vision to the sides with my slider behind my head. It also takes more time to pull the slider down over the Mirage velcroless toggles. They are a bit bulky, and I don't want to release a toggle when pulling the slider down. But if I can't get the SRC's to work without my slider rubbing on the lines, they will come off.

Just a little hint for anyone putting them on, the "power tool" from Para Gear makes it a LOT easier to get the slinks on after the SRC's are installed.

Blue Skies,
Wags