petur

Smoke bracket w. release mechanism

Can anyone post a photo / sketch of a smoke bracket (smoke attachment system to foot) WITH a release mechanism?

Thanx!
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."

Can anyone post a photo / sketch of a smoke bracket (smoke attachment system to foot) WITH a release mechanism?

Thanx!

I've got one at home it's hard to explain so it'll probably require pictures.

Attached is a poor drawing I did of one, basicaly the bracket goes over the top front of your shoe and down the side, a bungee cord goes around the bottom of your shoe and the back and up and over the top of the bracket. A red nylon like piece of fabric is routed UNDER the bungee cord where the bungee comes over the "lip" on the top of your foot/bracket. So basically you pull the bungee over the top of the bracket the cutaway is under the bungee you pull the cutaway it pulls the bungee off the lip and releases the bracket.

lemme know if this makes no sense :)

bracket.jpg

Also remember to use a two foot long cutaway strap and secure it to your ankle with Velcro. That way you will not drop a smoke grenade in the crowd.

During a demo you should not be over the crowd in freefall, and if you need to get rid of the bracket, you will need to get rid of it completly. I feel it is better to KISS.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Also remember to use a two foot long cutaway strap and secure it to your ankle with Velcro. That way you will not drop a smoke grenade in the crowd.

During a demo you should not be over the crowd in freefall, and if you need to get rid of the bracket, you will need to get rid of it completly. I feel it is better to KISS.
Sparky

People do use smoke under canopy ya know, and if you're coming into a stadium with seating all around you'll come over someone at some point.

I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to have the cutway mechanism within easy reach without having to lift your leg to get to it. By having to lift your leg, you may inadvertently set something ablaze that you don't want burning at a time when you need to be getting rid of it.

Help me out here....
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to have the cutway mechanism within easy reach without having to lift your leg to get to it. By having to lift your leg, you may inadvertently set something ablaze that you don't want burning at a time when you need to be getting rid of it.

Help me out here....

This is just my opinion, but by running the release device to where you can reach it without lifting your leg or bending over just complicates it. I designed the bracket you see several years ago and have made 75 to 100 of them. I have had to jettison one just once but it worked without a problem. As fare as a safety strap is concerned, if I need to get rid of it, it is because I want it to go away now.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

How do you cut it away? Releasing the buckles is not sufficiently fast or easy.

The buckles don't have to be released - you pull the 28" cutaway handle (trim to your desired length) which releases the straps on one side of the foot

For the wingsuits I have a grommet stamped at thigh level for the cutaway handle to come through -- there is no bending to release the whole bracket.
If you just want to release the smoke canister in case of fire you need to pull the other cutaway handle which also is 28" (cut to your length)
I personally leave that one right near the canister.

I will try and post release mechanism pics later tonight when I get home

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Okay, now I see the release cables for what they are. But I'd be concerned about them getting pulled too easily. The canister cable swings waaaaaay out. and the bracket cable is only slightly better. I'd suggest if you want them this complex that you but the cables in cutaway housings and hold the end at the bracket similarly to the way the loop on a riser holds the housing. You can pull on the housings and not cutway. I think the same protection should be used in this where you may hurt somebody on the ground without hurting yourself.;)

As to having hight releases. I can see it for wing suit jumps, but for non wing suit jumps agree with above. More complex than needed. Also if you need to drop the canister, just jettison the whole thing. Why bother with two separate releases?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Here are some more pics which might clarify how the release works --- the cables have been pulled all the way down for effect

Also if you need to drop the canister, just jettison the whole thing. Why bother with two separate releases?

Cansiters can catch fire why lose the whole bracket if all you need to do is get rid of the smoke -- its kind of like why not throw away your handles after a cutaway......because they cost money!!!

Here's an example of a KISS engineered bracket.

An aluminum base plate that goes around the heel of your boot. a Velcro strap and a standard QR snap secure it over the top of the foot, and an additional velcro strap goes 6-8 inches above and around the leg.
A quick pull on the loop of the upper strap release the whole thing.

I have a LOT of jumps on this type of bracket and have never had a problem.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

And that is the same basic model that, if not all, near all the US Military Demo Teams use.

I do not think you could go wrong with it in a standard application after all they have hundreds of demos a year combined.

For the Wing suits the other model seams best.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

interesting,but i would not want to be on the ground under that thing after you jettison it.ouch.

I for one would NEVER jettison anything while in the air...

(on purpose anyway...)

If there is a problem with the smoke, with this bracket you have a foot and a half 'handle' to hold it away from your body.

I've jumped with up to 20 pounds of pyrotechnics on this type of bracket, and it's never even so much as shifted on my boot after a terminal opening.

There is only a webbing strap that goes under boot in front of the heal...so there isn't any slipping when landing as with some other types that cover a part of the bottom of the jumpers footwear.

It's aluminum and webbing, with the only ''heavy" part being the QR snap...the whole things weighs less than the M18 that would attach to it.

I've tried nearly every other type of bracket out there and for the demos I do, these work the best...

[url "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8903;
"[/url]HERE is a bracket that would hurt if it landed on ya!;)

The purpose for making these new brackets were primarily for the wingsuit flyers - but we also kept the other disciplines in mind. We wanted to create a cleaner looking and functioning design than before.

I realise there are many other designs out there that work fine but I do feel we have created a work of art that works -- and so far the order numbers have been great --- now the weather just needs to not suck

The purpose for making these new brackets were primarily for the wingsuit flyers - but we also kept the other disciplines in mind. We wanted to create a cleaner looking and functioning design than before.

I realise there are many other designs out there that work fine but I do feel we have created a work of art that works -- and so far the order numbers have been great --- now the weather just needs to not suck

I don't have any wing suit experience...yet, but I can definitely see from the design how it would be a better unit for that application.

It looks to be a well made, well thought out bracket.

I would like to even get with you at some time and go over some ideas for a similar unit that could be safely used for the demo type applications I'm involved with. Something that might easily be converted to use with multiple pyrotechnic devices.

And I agree about the weather...didn't think Texas was supposed get this cold!;)