Dokeman

Digital Rebel Wide Lens

I have a rebel and need a wide lens for it. But I have no idea what to get. I dont know if they are adjustable like my stock lens, but i want something a little bit wider that my kinko .43. Any suggestions. There are a few people that use the adapter lens and I think the picture guality suffers to much. And price is an issue, dont want to spen an arm and a leg and I want something that would be compatable with future cameras if possible

I have not done extensive homework- but with a little but of work you can get a Zenitar 16mm on 10D which i guess means it could work on a 300D.

There was a thread I made a week ago asking this exact question- and there where some replies in there.

have a look- its a few threads down.

I am in the same boat as you. I have not jumped my 300D yet- but I am trying to match it up to a .42X, and basically till I get money, Iam screwed.

The stock lens and a .42 on a 300D apprently works- but when you want to click off a shot it helps if you move back a little. This is per my boss at the DZ whom also flies a .42 on a PC101.

The review the above poster gave should help a lot- but if there is one thing I learned from all the threads I read- pay for good glass.

Like others said- sigma 15mm is widely used lens, but it has a price tag.

I think when I get some change and get an ROI on all my cameras and helmet I will get that lens.

my boss (and other on here) said it should match up with a .42 alright.

your other option- though slightly more difficult- is to step up to a .45 or even .5. This would require a sight for sure- but you could match your camera around your rebel and not the other way around.

I have the Sigma 20 which I use for sunset loads or cloudy days............at F-1.8 it's a great buy....I don't know what they are going for now but I got mine 1 year ago for around $325 at Ritz. For tandems I usually use the kit 18-55 lens, it takes grat shots and you can't beat the weight.

On the low light- how bad is the rebel on sunset loads?

If you use manual settings does the blur issue disipate? (with the stock lens)

Im really worried about sunset loads because of problems I read about- by my plan was too switch too M and turn up the ISO at the cost of noise.

If I were you I'd at least take a look at the Canon EF-S10-22mm before I purchased anything. It's a sweet lens that weighs 13.6 oz. Has a 77mm thread on the front allowing the addition of a filter if you want and has "0" barrel distortion in my humble opinion. It's an expensive lens compared to the Sigma 15 (which I've also owned by the way and is a nice lens, but too much distorition for my liking) $650'ish vs. about 469 but personally I think it's worth it.

You may want to check some lens reviews out here also

http://www.photozone.de/active/news/index.jsp

I'm in the same boat. I recently bought a Canon Rebel XT (my first still camera for skydiving) and want a wide angle lens. I've shopped around on B&H and read peoples advice on these threads but to be honest I don't know the first thing about lenses and what all these numbers mean. I want something I can put filters on and that isn't rediculous in price. I don't know what any pros and cons about what mm size is what and what that means or this F1.8 thing. I'm not doing professional tandems or anything, I just want to take good pics with friends with a wider angle. Please help!
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Any good lens is going to cost you. Just remember you can have the most megapixels in the world and if you use a shitty lens your pictures are going to look like shit. There is no getting around that, the lens itself is as important if not more so than anything else besides knowledge. For all you "newbies" to photography I highly recomend that you find out what an "F-Stop" and all the other important "basic" terms mean.

By the way to answer the question above an F1.8 lens will let more light in than an F3.5 for example, however the wider that apeture is "F number" the less depth of field you will have.

I'm lucky, I grew up living and working in a family photography business so this comes easy for me, I understand how foreign it can be, but it really isn't that difficult "technically speaking" to take a good picture, it's the creative ability or having an eye for it that sets the best apart from the average, and that in my opinion really can't be taught!

Pat

I'm in the same boat. I recently bought a Canon Rebel XT (my first still camera for skydiving) and want a wide angle lens. I've shopped around on B&H and read peoples advice on these threads but to be honest I don't know the first thing about lenses and what all these numbers mean. I want something I can put filters on and that isn't rediculous in price. I don't know what any pros and cons about what mm size is what and what that means or this F1.8 thing. I'm not doing professional tandems or anything, I just want to take good pics with friends with a wider angle. Please help!

My advice is to read up on what the mm thing and the F1.8 thing is it will help you bigtime once you start using the camera..

Taking photos is a bit different from doing video.. with video you just slap the camera on your head and go for it.. for photos, you're going to have to get yourself somewhat familiar with how cameras work, and what the different settings mean, even if you're not gonna do it like a pro..

just my 2 cts buddy.. let me know if you have any questions..

the mm thing.. that is the focal length of your lens.. what is focal length..

The F1.8 thing, that's the maximum aperture for the lens.. what is aperture

Read up on these my friend, these were teh top hits on a Google search for these terms..

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions..

what does the f/2.8 mean? why the different lenses for ground and air? What does the mm size mean?

You might also be well served enrolling in a local community college's (or regular university :P) Digital Photography course... you can learn a lot about lenses and such as well as develop a basic understanding of composition. (rule of thirds, etc...)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I took a look at the sigma 15mm lens online and it looks like a good buy. However, someone recommended to me to take some shots with a circular polarizer filter and it seems from the description that the sigma 15mm won't really allow for that. I guess since everyone else is using that lens, nobody else is using any kind of filter. Does anybody else use filters? If so, what is a good lens like the sigma 15mm that will give the option for using filters?

And just to make sure, the sigma 15mm will fit the Canon rebel XT right?
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Do a lot more research and educate your self on the workings of the camera before you start to jump it. Stills are not like video where you turn it to Auto and you are good to go. There is constant adjustments that need to be done to get ideal results and if you don't know what needs changed your photos will suffer for it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com