davidfreefly

NEED HELP WITH WIDE ANGLE LENSES

hi friends.

I have a question. i need a wide angle lens for tandem.

which is better choice?

Kenko .5
Liquid.45
Blue eye. 45
Diamond sealth .5

the best price is kenko... but im afraid with fogging.
Is foggin a real problem with kenko?

Any tips:S

why do you say this?
Most people on my DZ shot .43

it seems each and every brand has different measuring and sizing system. All cameras are different too.
The Sony .6 I was very happy with it (combined with a PC8).
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

i don't do tandem video with it but, i've been using the diamond .5 for some time now and i've had no problems whatsoever...fogging or otherwise. it's been terrific.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Which lens you use depends on how close you fly to you tandems. I know people who fly with a .03 who truly need to be flying with a .03 because when they are shooting the tandem I could touch their nose because they are close. I also know people who shoot tandem videos who use a .03 lens because they think thats whats cool. The problem is they fly so far away from the tandem pair the the tandem looks small in that wide field of view.

My recommendation to poeple who are learning to shoot video is to not use a wide angle lens at all, if you are flying 6 or more feet away from the tandem pair the standard lens on most video cameras will do just fine and also provide a better video. As your skills improve, if you find that you like flying closer to the tandem pair start with a .05, and when that isn't wide enough move to a .45 or a .3 Thats just my suggestion, for what its worth.

Which lens you use depends on how close you fly to you tandems. I know people who fly with a .03 who truly need to be flying with a .03 because when they are shooting the tandem I could touch their nose because they are close...

Funny story along those lines, as I have almost always jumped a very wide angle lens (.3 or so) with tandems...
Long time ago was filming tandems at a dz I was visiting in texas. They were jumping a porter, which at the time I was not familiar with at all. First or second tandem I make a little contact with them on exit, but we get separation, get stable, and I take my position in front of them. During the freefall the TM notices my camera had been knocked crooked by about 45 degrees from our previous contact. Fortunately he is aware enough and I am close enough that he just reaches down with one hand, grabs my bracket, and rotates it back to level!B|
Miami

hi friends.
Blue eye. 45
Diamond sealth .5
:S

I'm ot shooting tandems any time soon, but I tried to get the Diamond Stealth and they were on a crazy backorder,. .. Got the Way Cool Blue Eye and I think it's a pretty good lens, no complaints with it here.. The video looks pretty good. I also got the protective cover that they sell with it, which fits over the lens (like a filter, but it's not) ... I like the idea that the actual lens is protected when it's jumped.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi y'all, Just my observations. When i was looking for my 1st w/a lens i tested both the Kenko 0.5 and the Sony 0.6.
I was surprised to find that the Sony 0.6 had a much wider field of view than the Kenko 0.5, which really confused me...:S

Anyway's i bought the kenko as i'm a newbie to flying camera and it seems to give nice results!! :)
Blues..

"swooper 24/7, 365!"
ME on Myspace
My Project playlist

ok thanks for the tip!

My main doubt now is a kenko .5 or a xdream optics .5 from germany

Money makes me doubt.

Would notice any difference between this lenses. kenko costs about 35 € and xdream 99 € (im afraid with foggin) would the kenko fog more than the xdream??

I'm a huge fan of the Sony .6

In my personal testing, I have found it to be a wider lens than any of the .5 lenses you have listed. Also, it is a very low hassle lens as you can use the infinity setting with it, and the picture quality through it is superior to that of any of the single element lenses (IMO).

I had a Diamond .3 for a weekend, and then promptly sent it back...

Canuck

You should choose your video lens to match up with your still lens. You want both cameras to have the same field of view so that your stills come out framed the same as your video. For tandems I use a kenko .5 with a 28mm fixed lens on my still camera. These lenses match up almost perfectly.

As for fogging issues, if the conditions are right you are going to get condensation regardless of the lens you are using. There are anti fog products out there that will help with this. Cat Crap seems to be the choice of many photogs here.

Skydive Radio