cameramonkey

beware of internet cam/video sales

Just saw this and started reading. Thought it would be a good thing for those of us here to know about.

http://thomashawk.com/2005/11/priceritephoto-abusive-bait-and-switch.html

So beware... there is a reason some places are so much cheaper than the others... Its better to pay a little more and know you are dealing with someone reputable. the money you save is worthless if you get screwed.

just my .02
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Pretty much, my rule is, if the internet company has a New York or New Jersey address on their site, or no address at all, I refuse to do business.

In 1998 (birth of the .com buying world) I was burned on a laptop... Ordered one, never came, charged to my credit card. Called them back. Laptop was out of stock, wanted me to buy a much more expensive model...

Last year my brother purchased a car stereo online with his new credit card number for a new account. I saw the retailer and I yelled, "New York, Don't Do It." He never got his stereo, and ended up with a maxed out card of fraudulent charges, and the only people he gave that number to was the store...

So, this story is sadly not new news...

There are a few good retailers in the NY area, you just have to know where to shop. Dbuys.com has sold gear to many posters on here with great results as one example.

Good point, but you don't find the trustworthy ones by searching google or pricegrabber.:$

I will look at dbuys.com, as I am looking for a new sony.;)

B&H is great... bought my Nikon F100 and a ton of other stuff there over the years

Dbuys is good too, I bought my PC1000 from them although they do call you to "verify" the order and try and sell you a bunch of junk you don't need.

I haven't had a single problem with either of them.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

When I was doing photography pretty seriously, I dealt with 3 vendors that always did exactly what they said they would do:

Calumet Photo

B&H Photo

Adorama Camera

I'd add NewEgg to the list for digital cameras and electronics, too, but their camera stuff tends toward consumer-level stuff.

You can't go wrong with any of the outfits listed above.

shall
B|

I'd Second his Newegg recommendation. I have NEVER had a hard time with them.

The one time I DID start to have a hard time, they corrected it quickly. I had an LCD monitor arrive and die within a week. Monitors/LCDs are replaced only with a reference code from the manufacturer's tech support department confirming its a warranty issue. Until you get that, Newegg wont talk about a return. After they gave me the number to the company, I called, and called, and called all afternoon... and it was always a fast busy (indicating line/trunk problems). I called Newegg and explained, and after trying for themselves, they waived the requirement and isued an RMA. Alot of companies would have just said "sorry its our policy, I guess you'll have to wait for the line to start working again".

Year to date, I have run about $15,000 through them for work equipment. Even with bad orders, they always correct it quickly.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Many of these retailers whose names have been thrown around - are not authorized dealers. Which means ZERO factory warrenty support. If you want that warrenty - you will likely pay near MSRP. I have knowingly bought plenty of grey market imports. But I knew the deal - I dont think everyone realizes it.

Happy Holidays - and smart shopping.
D'Bo

I disagree... I bought my PC-110 from Dbuys, broke it, sent it to Sony and they repaired and it was back in my hands in 2 weeks. They never asked a second question once I enclosed a copy of the reciept. Granted that was 2-3 years ago...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think that may have been more of a fluke over sight. Or not?

But I know most manufacturers do not support products sold through unauthorized vendors. Whether that policy is enforced or not, or if they catch it, is a different matter. But that becomes an issue of playing russian warranty roulette with what likely is some expensive hardware.

I buy most of my stuff used - so Im normally screwed one way or another if it poops.