Icon134

ring sight question...

Ok, I read an old discussion on mounting a ring sight and in the thread there was a suggestion that a ring sight be mounted over your dominate eye.

My question is that I don't have seem to have a dominate eye. As such does it matter which eye I mount a ring sight over? (I do understand Paralax problems)

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

If you haven't been able to figure out if you have a dominate eye, then it shouldn't matter how you mount it. I think most people mount the ring sight on the right side cause the camera is on the left and you might have something stick out into your camera's picture.

I'm right handed, but I'm left eye dominant. Sucks when I shoot skeet, cause I need to put a piece of tape over my left eye on my shooting glasses. And I do mount my ring sight over my left eye. I use the articulated sight extender and use all the sight's post to get it over my left eye.

get a sheet of paper, make a small hole in it (dime size or so) and hold it in front of your eyes (like a feet or slightly less away)
find and object which is 5 (or more) feet away from you and look at it through the whole
close right eye
open it, close left eye
most likely you will see the object only with one of the eyes - which is your dominant eye

I've never found a huge importance in using the ring sight with your dominant eye. I am left eye dominant but have always used right eye ring sights with no problems.

The method I had been taught to figure out eye dominance was to focus on something in the distance, then bring your thumb up at arms length to block that from view (it should appear as two thumbs as you are focused out in the distance). You will only block one of your eyes...so close one eye at a time to see which eye you are blocking, and that is your dominant eye.
Hope this helps...
Miami

I keep both eyes open when flying mine most of the time anyways though..

The corollary to this being that sometimes you don't have both eyes open? I don't know what the official recommendation is here (I'm a new camera flyer myself), but I really wouldn't recommend anybody skydive with one eye closed. I don't see what the purpose would be either.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I don't know what the official recommendation is here (I'm a new camera flyer myself), but I really wouldn't recommend anybody skydive with one eye closed.

Neither would eye because it does limit the amount of information about your surroundings.

That said, I know of at least one -excellent- camera flyer that only -has- one eye.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What would happen if someone was to put a ring sight over they're non-dominate eye?

When they get back to the ground, they will wonder why their video is off center. They'll recenter the ring sight over and over and it might ALWAYS be off.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Neither would eye because it does limit the amount of information about your surroundings.

Eye think you made a Freudian slip! :D

That said, I know of at least one -excellent- camera flyer that only -has- one eye.

Obviously a unique situation. But it still supports my point - for him I would definitely not recommend closing one eye. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

but I really wouldn't recommend anybody skydive with one eye closed. I don't see what the purpose would be either.

Sigh..... B|:P;)

Actually, don't archery pro's close one eye to increase their accuracy? ;):P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

What would happen if someone was to put a ring sight over they're non-dominate eye?

When they get back to the ground, they will wonder why their video is off center. They'll recenter the ring sight over and over and it might ALWAYS be off.

Hmmmm......:P:D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Well, as long as you have the sight lined up right it isn't much of an issue. If you mean the compound shooters with magnifying sight, mechanical release and funny glasses with lenses in it... That's just cheating. :P

E

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."