skymedic

making your own freefly pants???

As I am an aspiring rigger, I'd like to practice my sewing by making my self some freefly pants. anyone have any idea's or tips for me. such as paterns or something along those lines???

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I went to a local fabric store and took a sewing class for garment sewing. It was well worth it and I learned a lot of tricks in a short amount of time that I probably would not have learned in years. Also for poly/cotton fabric for freefly outfits I have found some really awesome colors and patterns at Wal-Mart. I took a pair of both freefly pants and jumpsuit to the class and they showed me how to make them the same way.

A design I'm making (I've started them, just haven't finished them, stupid school taking up my sewing time), is taking a pair of BDUs, took the outside seam out and am adding fabric. Sort of like a strip on FireFly pants, but this will give me the ability to balloon out the cuffs. Then pleating and sewing those cuffs (unfinished cuffs) into a nice 2" cuff with 2" velcro closures. I also cut all the pocket buttons off and replaced them with velcro (1" wide), that and am sewing a Jack the Ripper on the front right leg. I also made a sweet belt for the pants that I'm going to sew down to keep it in place...its made out of 1" wide webbing (not rig webbing, but from a sewing store) and a plastic-snapping closure (don't know the real name for this, but is the basic closure that is flat, with the two side prongs that insert along with a center guide prong into a recieving closure).

I'm tempted to make a protrack pocket with some extra material so I have a secure location for H&Ps when I don't wear my helmet (sometimes).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've now made 4 pairs of pants, for mens pants I use McCall's pattern 9583, and just add extra length at the bottom of the leg for the elastic (I've done the velcro thing and it was more work than it was worth). I can't find the women's pattern that I used but it was a simple jeans/cargo pant pattern that I adjusted for length and ankle width. Hooknswoop has a tandem master version with cordura on the knees and butt and lots of pockets. Tequilagirl and I have the chick version with a cordura butt and tiedye ankle material.

Hancock fabrics seems to have the best selection of poly-cotton around here and cordura and binding tape I got threw para-gear. We used E-thread since that seems to stand up the best.
Fly it like you stole it!

just get a pair of baggy cargo pants somewhere. If it has bottons cut them off and put velcro on. simple....cheap...and easy!!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

just get a pair of baggy cargo pants somewhere. If it has bottons cut them off and put velcro on. simple....cheap...and easy!!

I like this solution! (guess I'm just lazy :P)

I admire those who like to sew (men included, AggieDave), but I just don't have the patience or stomach to sit down and just sew.

I actually dated a guy a few years back that loved to create and sew skydiving stuff. It was GREAT! He was quite talented, too. One camera suit he modified to have long pant legs or shorts (depending on the season) and he'd just take the legs off or on depending on his mood.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I like this solution! (guess I'm just lazy :P)

I admire those who like to sew (men included, AggieDave), but I just don't have the patience or stomach to sit down and just sew.

I actually dated a guy a few years back that loved to create and sew skydiving stuff. It was GREAT! He was quite talented, too. One camera suit he modified to have long pant legs or shorts (depending on the season) and he'd just take the legs off or on depending on his mood.

ltdiver

You know when making the pants sewing is the easy part. It takes me hours to design, cut the pattern, piece it together, and adjust everything so it fits together right. Derek probably does a totaly of 30 minutes sewing. :S

I'm too lazy...I'll get my mother to make me a pair.
I can't sew for shit.

My mom's good at that sorta stuff.

Moms are great, aren't they?!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Mom's are great, aren't they?!

ltdiver

That they are!

She made me a pair of pants that I took for a ride on the weekend. They didn't blow up, so thats one point in her favour. ;)
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

You obviously missed the whole part about the reason I am making freefly pants. It is not that I need them. I have a great JumpBubble freefly suit that I love and that works great for me. I dont want to buy cheap pants or have my mom sew them. I am trying to learn how to improve my sewing skills and this is a way for me to do it and also end up with a product I can use. I want to be a rigger and I know for a fact that sewing will be my weak point as I know equipment inside and out....

anyway thanks Cat for the patern idea.

Question though...why was the velcro hard? on my jump bubble I have the two ply wrap where the hook stuff is in the middle and two layers of pile on the outside. I know this would be difficult but wouldn't just a simple sandwhich of one layer each be ok? also how difficult is the elastic?

also Nightjumper thanks for the idea of classes didn't think of that.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Question though...why was the velcro hard? on my jump bubble I have the two ply wrap where the hook stuff is in the middle and two layers of pile on the outside. I know this would be difficult but wouldn't just a simple sandwhich of one layer each be ok? also how difficult is the elastic?

Elastic would be super easy to sew. If you're gonna be making more than one pair of FF pants, do elastic first. With elastic you can sew the hem of the pants almost all the way and just leave a hole big enough to run the elastic through. Then you sew the elastic ends together and stitch the material closed. After doing elastic, attempt the velcro. Making velcro cuffs will require a bit more time, thats why i don't bother with it.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Well I didn't like the way da'kine did it where they just sew the hook to one side (only half the hook is sewn down) then you lay the loop on top of that, then wrap the rest of the hook velcro that is just flapping on top of it. Now I like the sandwich idea, but I didn't like seeing the top part of the hook velcro, so I made it so it was covered by material on both side. It looked good, but by the time I get to that part of the pant, I'm ready for them to be done. [:/]

I have the same attitude that you have, although I am confident in my sewing skills. I also saw no reason to spend $250 on a FF suit when I can make my own for $50. It took a couple of weeks, but well worth it. My best advice is this...
Look at someone else's suit for the tricky parts: velcro, cuffs, zipper, etc. Measure some of your loose fitting clothes, and add inches where you think that you might need it... I added about 10-12 inches to the length dimensions of my loose fitting chords. Lay out some fabric and draw the lines. I took the basic shape of each panel from other clothes. If you can sacrifice a pair, rip the seams on a pair of pants and look at the basic shape and freehand you pattern.
I actually cut out and pinned a pattern out of soome cheap material, sewed it, trimmed the excess, ripped it apart, and now I have a good pattern that I can reuse. I had to make some adjustments when it was done, but it turned out great. My buddy copied the pattern and made himself a nice suit too. It was a great experience, and I learned alot about my machine. If you have any questions let me know!

Good Luck!
...FUN FOR ALL!

All this talk of making pants reminded me of a friend of mine.
He wanted some solid baggy pants for inline skating so he got hold of a US-mail bag. Laid on it down on the floor, and his wife marked where to cut out. She then sewed where she had marked and cut away the excess and the pants were done. They already got holes for a waiststring.

Don't know if this will work well for freeflying pants, but the material is probably cheap.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thats what I (read 'Mum') did.

We cut an old pair of pants, added a bit in the length, and a bit for bagginess and made them up.

The next iteration is going to be longer, and not as baggy. We're also going to try to pleat the cuffs.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Pleating the cuffs is not hard. If you look at a freefly suit, there is only four pleats per cuff. I ended up making four equal pleats. I started with the split already sewed (?) and put em on, folded, pinned, and sewed a straight line across the bottom. Make a rectangular piece for the cuff with velcro, sew it on the pleated section (capturing the pleats with in the cuff, and you are done!
...FUN FOR ALL!