treetopflyer

lost everything this weekend

Had a ff2 that i loved , pc330 and sony still. A riser strike took it off like it was never on. It took forever to get the ff2 and the 330 is no longer available. Could use some input on the pc1000 vs 42. What's everyone using the most/ vs cost already know what im doing for the stills, but what about thoughts on helmets....can't wait that long again. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.....big weekend coming up and got to be in the air no doubt!

I thought I'd have hell cutting the helmet away if i had to!.I've got the mark on my neck still! It hit far inside left( camera side as you know) and the chin strap did nothing! Losing that helmet honestly, was the farthest thing from my mind......I figured i might lose the still camera but not take my helmet like that! Trust me......it could happen to you and your ff2.

So sorry you lost your stuff! Sucks!

I was surprised that I didn't lose my BatRak when I had an instant opening on Saturday. Just ask quade, who was dubbing video for the SSL competition. It was like toss-smack! My chin hit my sternum so hard it left a big bruise!

In my opinion, if your riser hit your helmet -that- hard feel lucky it took your helmet and -not- your head. :| I feel -very- lucky that my canopy opening didn't snap my neck. :|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

It was like toss-smack! My chin hit my sternum so hard it left a big bruise!

On a Spectre eh? Fun hearing your neck crack isn't it...

Canuck

Yeah, on a Spectre. :S My deployment altitude was my in-the-saddle altitude, too. B|

Actually didn't hear my neck crack. Either my stretches in the morning helped or the sound of the opening muffled the crack.

Either way, I was -so- surprised the I could still feel my arms and my neck moved without pain. I'm so glad that I keep my head in a neutral position on opening, so that it moved with the proper line of physical structure. No twisting or turning the head on opening. Proper treatment afterwards kept the damage to a minimum.

ltdiver

Yeah, on a Spectre.

Was it relined by PD in the past year or so? Literally every Spectre I've seen get relined in the past couple of years open like a bag of shit now. It smacks open even on the first jump back from the factory, after having been a good opening canopy previous to the reline. PD swears they didn't change the line trim, I'm not so sure I believe them on this one.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No, it wasn't re-lined. I bought the canopy last year and it's got maybe 300 jumps on it.

Consulting with a rigger, it seems that it might have been an issue of the slider not being completely up against the canopy during the packing.

I switched rigs for the rest of the day, then pulled that rig out again for Sunday's jumps. It opened just fine on yesterday's jumps. I flinched every time I pulled, though. :^(

ltdiver

My spectre just snaps slightly at the end of the snivel. I'm told that if you have a dacron lineset the openings are much more comfortable.
My velocity knocked me out about 3 weeks ago - it was a bit weird coming round under canopy! Didn't lose my camera helmet though.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Glad you are ok, but this is rather perturbing - my FF2 just arrived yesterday!
Do you have any idea how this happened? Did it rip the right side strap? How large was the hole you made when setting up the cutaway system in that strap? Has anyone heard of this happening before?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

My chin hit my sternum so hard it left a big bruise!
:|

ltdiver

Ouch! Same happened to me one month ago under a Sabre 2 170. I was three weeks down - sore ribs on the front side and distended back muscles. Luckily I wasn't wearing my stills, 500 gr more and I think I could have cracked my neck. I think it was my fault. Probably I was still tracking.

The N-VertigoX stayed on head, though...

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

My chin hit my sternum so hard it left a big bruise!
:|

ltdiver

Ouch! Same happened to me one month ago under a Sabre 2 170. I was three weeks down - sore ribs on the front side and distended back muscles. Luckily I wasn't wearing my stills, 500 gr more and I think I could have cracked my neck. I think it was my fault. Probably I was still tracking.

The N-VertigoX stayed on head, though...

Must have been the week for "instant openings" Mine was caused by the slider not being uncollapsed on one side. I trust the packer -- so we all thought the tab may have caught a crow's feet on the way down ... hmmmm, yeah. Anyway I had an instant opening. Threw my head so far down and hard it broke my new FTN (see attached picture) When I heard the snapping of the composite I thought it was my teeth breaking off (or my neck). I've got one heck of a bruise on my chin and jaw and very sore rib s. Bonehead said that hoped they could fix it. But when do I have time to not have a camera helmet???? Glad we all survived this. Cameras and helmets are easy to replace ... necks aren't.

Wow, Steve! We could compare videos!

I thought, for sure, that my slider must have been still been stowed or something....when I dared to look up I found that it was open and full. I let it ride that way all the way down. I was so scared that -something- must have been broken (on my or the canopy). I kept checking the canopy all they way down, but it was fine.

And yes, my chin and jaw are very very sore, too. As a therapist I keep stretching my jaw to avert a TMJ problem from cropping up. The right intrinsic muscles are much tighter than the left. I had two video cameras on (competition set-up) and the heavier of the two was on the right side of the two top-mounts.

Glad you are ok. Hope Bonehead can help you out.

ltdiver

A bad week for sure. I don't have any evidence except a persistent dull neck pain, stiffness, and somewhat limited range of motion. I think I'm going to be sitting out for a week or 3 at least, and I'm thinking about having it checked out.

Shitty.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

mewhat limited range of motion. I think I'm going to be sitting out for a week or 3 at least, and I'm thinking about having it checked out.

I've had that from a hard opening before.

Its call whiplash and my chiropracter had me back in action in a week. Find a good one and he/she won't bullshit you and try to string out visits and such, they'll just get you back together and on your way.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My slammer was the last jump of the day and nobody thought I'd be back Sunday ... Nobody, but me. I jumped Sunday with "some" aprehension at deployment time, but getting back in the saddle was good for my pysche. I had it checked out by my chiropracter Monday morning. He thinks I'm crazy any way. Gotta love this stuff.

My mistake was choice of gear. I needed to go back to back and don't have a second rig. I had a choice between a Stileto that was one size smaller than what I'm used to, or a Saber-1 of the same size. I chose wrong. My first Saber-Slam(tm). D'oh.

A Chiropractor is a good idea. I'll check one out tomorow. Dave and Steve, thanks for the tip.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Did it rip the right side strap? How large was the hole you made when setting up the cutaway system in that strap? Has anyone heard of this happening before?

This weekend one of our guys lent his FF2 out. While the other guy was ratcheting down the chincup the webbing strap broke.

What I mean is that the grommet pulled through the doubled over webbing.

It is a realtively new FF2 so wear and tear shouldn't have been such a issue.

So it is possible that the force of the riser strike pulled and tore the webbing, taking the whole thing off with not a massive amount of effort.

Food for thougth?????

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

glad you brought that up...i'm insuring or looking to insure my new set-up. THe chin cup attach and cutaway are all fine. nothing broke. like i said before, it hit hard inside the box(cut my neck)so there was no glancing off. the helmet literally came off instantly and i got to watch it . My katana has been giving me one heck of an opening lately.Remember the helmets ride high in the back typically, my head was tilted down somewhat, the weight of the still camera and video and .....BAM!!!
There it went!

Its a bit off topic but.. you should be setting your brakes, kill line and uncollapsing slider yourself. That's what I do.

Most packers I know will not accept responsibility for that (they'll check it sure, but shit happens). This was you'll avoid a lot of trouble.

I've had a lot of bad openings and now I always press my chin against my sternum on opening. It will prevent the neck from overstretching and injury if it opens hard.