wadebaird

Lens for 350D?

I plan on buying a Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D) here shortly and was wondering what lens others have used.

For video I have a PC101 which has a focal length of 50mm. I am using a .43 conversion lens which equates my video camera out to about 21.5mm.

Since the 350D has a 1.6 multiplier due to the sensor I figured I would need 13.4mm lens. Therefore I believe I will be happy with a 14mm or 15 mm lens.

However my initial searches found lens prices anywhere from $500 to $1700. I guess I could live with the $500 price tag (I would rather find somthing cheaper :P) if really necessary but the only ones I found for that price were fisheye lens. I don't think I would be very happy with the fisheye as the obvious reason of how the pictures would turn out.

So what I am asking is what experience have others had?

What focal length lens do you use?

Are you happy with a fish eye?

What is a "Aspherical" lens? Is it like a fisheye or do the pictures turn out normal?

Is there a specific brand / place that you have been able to find an economical lens?

Thanks alot in advance for the replies.

Sigma 15 mm fisheye . new they are around $449.00 maybe try e-bay
there isnt much of a fisheye effect with it ,because of the focal length being 1.6

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Aspherical is a special lens where there is an element that tries to correct and bending due ro the fisheye effect.

For an Intro lens you can get something cheaper to play with while you learn the camera. IO have a Sigma DC 18-55 that I'm using for Ground stuff and for freefall too. It cost me $100. I'll replace it once I learn the camera and still have a ground lens.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I plan on buying a Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D) here shortly and was wondering what lens others have used.

For video I have a PC101 which has a focal length of 50mm. I am using a .43 conversion lens which equates my video camera out to about 21.5mm.

I wouldn't believe the math. For example, my PC105 manual claims a 35 mm equivalent of 50 mm. With my Kenko .5 lens, the math says I should be using about a 16 mm lens on my Digital Rebel. In practice, I find that a 24 mm matches fairly well.

Your best bet is to borrow an 18-55 or similar lens and see what matches.

http://www.kievcamera.com/camera.php?ID=15

is nice.

So is my Sigma 14.

I spent over twice as much on a Sigma 15mm than that Zenitar costs. Is it that much better? If so, why?

I can't comment on the optics, I have seen some amazing pictures with the Zenitar..

The big difference between the 15mm Sigma and the Zenitar is that the Zenitar is a fully manual lens, where the Sigma is an automatic lens.

>>the Zenitar is a fully manual lens<<

It will do auto exposure (stop down metering) in Av mode with most Canon bodies.

Just set a relatively narrow aperture for good DOF, focus at HF distance, throw it on Av, choose an ISO that gives reasonable shutter speeds, and blaze away.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

It will do auto exposure (stop down metering) in Av mode with most Canon bodies.

Just set a relatively narrow aperture for good DOF, focus at HF distance, throw it on Av, choose an ISO that gives reasonable shutter speeds, and blaze away.

Wow. I understood almost none of what you just said.

Guess that's why I spent the extra $280 on the Sigma[:/]

>>stop down metering<<
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/#what

>>Just set a relatively narrow aperture for good DOF<<

Higher aperture numbers mean you are shooting through a smaller hole. The smaller hole results in more depth of field. You know how in some pictures, it seems like everything from the foreground to infinity is in focus, and in others only the subject is in focus, and the background is blurry? The former were taken through small holes (big aperture numbers) and the latter through large holes (small aperture numbers).

>>HF distance<<

Search the web for a hyperfocal distance calculator. It will make you a better photographer.

>>throw it on Av<<

Aperture priority mode. You set the aperture on the lens, and the camera picks a shutter speed that gives a technically correct exposure.

>>choose an ISO that gives reasonable shutter speeds<<

You want a fast shutter speed to freeze action, but you want the lowest ISO you can use to get the best quality prints. One of the real advantages of digital is the ability to select the ISO without changing the roll of film in the camera.

>>and blaze away<<

Bite repeatedly on the funny-looking thing in your mouth. ;)

www.jumpelvis.com

Quote -- >>HF distance<<

Search the web for a hyperfocal distance calculator. It will make you a better photographer.

How do I set the HF distance
the stock 18-55mm lens that came with my Canon 350D\Rebel XT does not have any indication of what distance you have the lens focused too.

I understand that the HF of my camera with the focal length set to 18mm is about 2025mm, how wouldd I go about setting the focus to this distance??

Thanks
Jeremy

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers

Thanks for the explanation. It helped.

There's so much more to this than video. With video I just pushed the button on the side until the little picture of the mountains showed up and remember to turn it on before I climb out. As long as the TM turns them into the sun everything comes out great.

This still camera comes with a whole new language. Fstop metering hyperfocal aperature iso dof..... It's enough to make your ass hurt.

Can anybody recommend a good book for a beginner?

I know I'm just a skydiver with a camera right now, but I really want to be a photographer.

One of the things we have lost as photogs with the advent of high quality zoom lens is a distance scale for the focus ring - you would need a different scale for every focal length. Soooo, we have to go even lower tech. If you use a HF calculator to determine that at f/8 your HF distance is 2m, you AF on something 2m away and then switch the lens to MF and don't touch the focus ring anymore.

Brent

www.jumpelvis.com

I bought a 15mm Sigma lense and for my digital rebel and couldn't be happier. I bought it on this site and the shipping was fast:
http://www.tristatecamera.com/...mp;search_method=all

Beware, the link you posted was for the Sigma 15mm lens with a Sigma mount. The link for the same lens with a Canon mount is http://www.tristatecamera.com/LookAtAll-1wvvusc1-SIGAF15C-1-00260073-0-store.php.html

- Dan G

Your best bet is to borrow an 18-55 or similar lens and see what matches.

the 18-55 is the one that comes whith the cam unless you buy only the house(atleast in this part of the world).

any who has experience using this cam in the BASE envioment? which lens and which flash?
Cheers:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber