Samb

20D FOCUS SETTINGS - 20D users

Sam, Alot of people set there focus on Manual and just shot of infinity, I've seen alot of good photos with those settings. Personal unless I use the auto focus setting. I've always had good luck with it. Try both and see what you think. Unless your shooting something thats moving all over the sky IE wing suit flights I think you'll be happy with the results of either setting. Let us know what works for you.

Freefalle,

I use manual focus. You know that you're going to be a certain distance from your subject, so what you want is everything from that point to infinity to be in focus.

Read up on it here http://www.vividlight.com/articles/2314.htm it explains how to setup your camera and lens to make this work for you.. I haven't been very happy with autofocus in freefall.. If I press the trigger, I want that shot, and not have to wait for the camera to focus on the subject I am shooting...

I have the same set up and use:

AF
Shutter priority
Partial metering
Multi-shot

This is a shot using these settings:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Personal_Galleries/skydog&image=Tom-Picton.jpg&img=&tt=

Seems to work fine for me. The only real difference is the FPS rate slows to about 3fps when using auto focus.

I have used AF and MF and to be honest have no problem with either, but do prefer AF.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

I'm using a 10D and the same sigma lens. I pretty much use AF and have had no problems with. It depends on what you are shooting, the lighting, and what you want out of it. I've been switching back and forth between AV and TV, mainly using AV and manuel focus at the same as to keep my depth of feild constant. Unfortunetly, I haven't come up with what works best.
my pics & stuff!

Seems to work fine for me. The only real difference is the FPS rate slows to about 3fps when using auto focus.

I have used AF and MF and to be honest have no problem with either, but do prefer AF.

Bryn

Bryn, very nice light on that tandem photo. I wish I could shoot everything at sunset like that.

I mostly shoot Autofocus with the 20D and have been very happy with it. I shot manual with the same lens on the 10D. As long as the subject is fairly centered and obvious in most of the frame, I have no problem. I'll use AF for students, 4way or anything where there is one main subject. If there are going to be multiple points of focus, then I would go manual focus and predetermine the distance to the subject I want to focus on so the camera isn't indecisive. In AF, I can still get 5fps if I hold my switch down. Even with AF, the camera will focus for the first frame, and lock the focus for all the continuous frames for as long as I hold the switch down. I've shot 45+ in a row like that, just for kicks. If I know I'm moving, I just let up off the switch and it will AF again the next time I hit the shutter release. There's only a slight delay if the camera is not sure what to focus on, ie, two subject on either side, one close, on far... Otherwise the AF works very well and very fast. I like that with AF I can get more of a variety of shots from varying distances. But that's just me. I still get an occasional out of focus shot with AF. In fact, JP went up as a second camera with me recently, him on MF with a 10D and sigma 15 and me with AF, 20D and sigma 15, and we both had a couple out of focus shots from the jump. He set MF for primary, about 4 feet away, so when he backed off and shot secondary, the student was out of focus. Whereas my out of focus shots were just a couple random shots throughout.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Hi lew

Just curious if you have tried the 20D with the various auto focus modes i.e. AI Servo - AI Focus - One Shot etc. If so, do you have any preferences or noticed any differences?

I haven't yet played with these in line with the Sigma lens, so am interested in hearing if anyone has.

As for me and auto-focus, it's all I have used since switching from Pentax to Canon. The 2 (older model) Pentax cameras I used seemed to work best in manual, while my Canon(s) seem to give me better results in auto.

I think the lens probably has more to do with this than the camera though.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Appreciate the feed back.

I'm using mainly the Sigma 15, but once in a while throw others on for the "play / creative times" so will give it a try on them as well.

Thanks

Fuzzy

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

I've got the exact same setup. 20D with a 15mm Sigma....it rocks....

I typically shoot TV - shutter priority around a 400 speed.....depends on the light / day / subject. But the focus that I use is the AI Servo. If you hardwire your switch you can get it so that it thinks the button is always half way down....in other words the lense is always focusing on the subject. The down fall here is that if you point away for a second at the ground or blue sky.....the camera focuses on that and when you point back at your subject.....you might have a few blury shots while the focus catches up to what you are shooting......but the AI servo is the way to go. On the Rebel 300D you can ONLY find this in the sports mode.....which is a bummer cause then you loose control of shutter speed / apature.....

Here are some shots from this past weekend.... all taken with the 20D. In fact if you look at the properties of the images you can see the EXIF data which tells you the camera settings....

It is possible to trick the Rebel series into AI Servo from AI Focus, which is available in all modes. If anyone is interested I will find the link. It involves forcing AI Servo (by say, acquiring a moving subject in a creative mode) then keeping the shutter button halfway down (by hardwiring the switch as you have done).

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Yeah, I've fooled the 300D into staying in AI Servo mode.....but let me tell ya....it's a pain in the arse while on a plane with the camera on your helmet. There is a forum on yahoo groups that has writen a hacked version of the firmware for the 300D that bring out some of the hidden features....however they were never able to get AI Servo to be on all the time with the flick of a button.

Thus......upgraded to the 20D......cost a lot more....but man....soooooooooo worth it!!!!

Here is the "hacking" firmware website USE WITH CAUTION! This could result in turning your camera into a paper wieght.