bogwarrior

3 Chip camera : What one to buy

Does anybody who posts here own a 3 chip camera. I want to buy something that will give good results in particular when i burn the video on a DVD. Four way will be my main job, so lens advice would be helpful as i understand that the lens´s work slightly different than regular PC type cams ?

Any tips would be most useful.

Sony vx 2100.
Very nice camera and light weight for a camera of it's size.
I just got one for films, not for jumping, but it would fit real nice on top of my FTP and weight wouldn't be an issue if centered right, still would have room for flashes ect.
I would jump mine if I didn't have 3k in it, but like it so much I have thought of finding a older vx 2000 on ebay to jump, but don't know if the 2000 is as light as a 2100.
If you can afford to spend the money and not worrie about losing one,go for the 2100. The best price I have seen for one is butterfly out of NY, where I got mine, the camera alone was 2168.00. Ritz was 2999.00 as well as most other places.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I dont know what you guys think or if anyone can offer real experience, but my line of thinking goes like this.

If I was producing footage that was going to be used for broadcast (uncompressed), then I would invest in a three chip camera.

If I am producing footage that will then be compressed to MPEG and burned to DVD, the degradation in quality negates the need for a 3 chip camera.

This thought process allowed me to upgrade from film to digital (EOS500 to EOS10D )

These are just my thoughts does anyone have any thoughts??

By the way, I use a HC30 and I cant tell the difference on DVD between that and a PC330. I know the 330 is not 3 chip but it does have a Megapixel sensor which the HC 30 doesn't.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The main reason for getting a 3ccd is so that i can provide broadcast quality to a number of TV stations who my company will work with over the coming months. I was just curiuos as to what was best in skydiving terms for this and reckon 3 chip is the point to work from.

If I am producing footage that will then be compressed to MPEG and burned to DVD, the degradation in quality negates the need for a 3 chip camera.

I disagree. I can't speak to all 3-chip camcorders, but I can speak to the VX2000.

The chief difference with adding CCD's is that it improves color responsiveness. It does not add to the resolution (or number of pixels), or any other tangible benefit.

With the VX2000, color response is absolutely beautiful when compared to my PC120. Sunsets come alive, pink jumpsuits stand out, and blue skies just look gorgeous.

WIth the PC120, and every other one-chip camera I've seen - colors just look flat and washed out compared to a 3-chip.

The difference is not lost when converting to DVD, and will even survive a conversion to a low-bandwidth download.

If I had the money to burn, I would jump a Vx2100 in a heartbeat even without a broadcast contract. Hopefully some day I will have the money to burn....

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The main reason for getting a 3ccd is so that i can provide broadcast quality to a number of TV stations who my company will work with over the coming months. I was just curiuos as to what was best in skydiving terms for this and reckon 3 chip is the point to work from

I presume you are talking about the ffu5, from what your website talks about? well if so from what I have seen and considering your jump numbers ( if true, though I doubt very much ) you should forget about a 3 chip and save the money and go and get coaching on 4 way video flying techniques, because your videos are really bad, and if any media company was to broadcast them it wouldnt bring any grace to this sport ! If you need a real camera flyer for commercials, go hire one, but don't volunteer yourself!

Why is it people always have to have the best of everything but forget the basic formula?

I don't think it's three chip, but one of the camera guys at my dropzone just started jumping the Sony HDR-FX1. the new Sony HD video camera.
The video of that thing is absolutely mind blowing!

I've heard the VX2100 does pretty well too, but if I would go for a camera that size, I'd go to the HD video camera.

Does anybody who posts here own a 3 chip camera. I want to buy something that will give good results in particular when i burn the video on a DVD. Four way will be my main job, so lens advice would be helpful as i understand that the lens´s work slightly different than regular PC type cams ?

Any tips would be most useful.

First off, the Lens and the CCD are two separate items, but are the two main items that contribute to the quality of the video recorded by the camera. Lens by far the most important one.

On the subject of CCDs, I would choose a good 3-chip camcorder over a good one-chipper any day, for generally less "stairstepping", often a little sharper picture, more saturated color, better ability to render good skin-tone and foliage greens, better ability to handle color balance and saturation in shadow areas, and better ability to show color in colored lights against dark backgrounds.

I was shooting at the weekend with a SONY DSR-250P and the quality was amazing, especially in low light, although I woudn't reccomend mounting one on your helmet.. :P

That said, you can really improve single CCD footage in post with some colour balance, saturation and gain.

As for "broadcast quality" it is if a broadcaster will use it. The requirements for an acceptable news clip are VASTLY different from those for an entertainment show, a documentary, interview show, etc. For news almost anything goes as long as the content is compelling.
If your intent is to get a production "on the air" it is worth a phone call to the broadcasters and post production houses in your area to find out what is ‘broadcast’ quality in their world.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I dont know what you guys think or if anyone can offer real experience, but my line of thinking goes like this.

If I was producing footage that was going to be used for broadcast (uncompressed), then I would invest in a three chip camera.

This thought process allowed me to upgrade from film to digital (EOS500 to EOS10D )

These are just my thoughts does anyone have any thoughts??

By the way, I use a HC30 and I cant tell the difference on DVD between that and a PC330. I know the 330 is not 3 chip but it does have a Megapixel sensor which the HC 30 doesn't.

Buzz

DV from a camcorder is always 3.5Mbps, so just burn at that bitrate to maintain the original quality.

Unless you're starting with very high quality source video, your DVD will not be even comparable to commercially authored DVDs, DV does falls short, color-wise, though with a 3-CCD camera and good lens, you can be in the zone if you know your stuff.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Hi,

I got a HC1000 in the end ( will prob get another model in the next months as this was an expensive month for me so i could not get the one i wanted which was the VX although the PC1000 is getting good initial reports. )

Anyway, i was pleased with the results. Colours were much richer especially when put on DVD. I would agree that the quality of the wide angle lens is very important , to the point i almost feel a single chip with really good quality glass is the same as a 3 chip with a mediocre one ). I am awaiting good wide angles from a supplier at the moment.

A guy who works here in Lillo , Nils Predstrup is about to get a PC1000 , so ill be watching that with interest , as this cam has 3 cmos chips and not 3 CCD´s but has the advantage of being so much smaller.

Cheers
David