jumpergirl

Old round parachute circa 1974

Ok The mini-system i have, came with 1 1/2 shots. I figured out how to use them the first night i was messing with the rig. God talk about the possibility of an uneven release!!:o

I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Well... My Lord, when I asked for someone to feel free to jump in, I didn't think that someone older than Curly Roe and me combined would show up.

Thanks for the class. I'm fairly confidant we called the R3s, single shots also... pull once and they were supposed to be gone. Well... that's what they said. :P

Thanks, Mark.

Well... My Lord, when I asked for someone to feel free to jump in, I didn't think that someone older than Curly Roe and me combined would show up.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!:D:D
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

R2: I can only guess, from what I read in Poynter. I am unfamiliar with the R2 and the single-point R2-squared. Uses the load-bearing parts of the Capewell system.

I had R2s. They didn't look quite as slick as the R-3's. They were nylon tubing (pilot chute bridle cord) stuffed to be bulky. Bent in half at the bottom of where the male capewell piece fit into the female, and the top of the tube stuck up. Hold in place with an elastic. Like everything else cool in those days, they had velcro on them.

Worked really well. If you didn't maintain the elastic part, you'd end up with the tubing sticking out and flapping in the wind, and the hookup between the capewell halves dependent on the lousy elastic.

It wasn't hard to cut away reasonably evenly. And that was all that was really necessary.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy,

You're crackin me up. I remember those little plastic tubes flappin in freefall and me in freefall thinking, "Someone thought this was a good idea?" 3 Rings were "new" and I thought, "Anything's gotta be better than this." And, here we are 20 years later!!

Thanks... I wonders if the tykes know how much experience is in this little room?

Say hi to Curly -- I used to jump with him when he was in Houston. I was Wendy Nordstrom then. I think we were in the same AFF ICC, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy...

The pilot chute (if you have one) normally sits on a kicker plate; a little piece of metal whose sole purpose in life to to give the pilot chute a good launch, and then fall off and be replaced.

I got my kicker plate back from my first cutaway under my Pap. We found it in the main....and that was in a belly mount with a C-9 for a reserve... and with J-1/Capewells/ Shot and a halfs.....Sport Jump #5.... I guess I was in a big hurry to get the reserve out because the Pap was a wad of crap for WAY too long.

Amazon

Oh and as a post note.. I remember seeing those modified J-1's with the Velcro retaining stuff....scared me to death...and when I was young and stupid I was fairly fearless and not easily scared

You seem to have accurately noted the makers of the equipment, perhaps you would find it appropriate to contact them.They're still in the book or you might try Parachute Pages. Com for any address updates..
good luck......It's good stuff and one might suggest you do not let it get out of your sight for there are museums that might pay alot if you were to part with it.

"With old 2 shot capewells a cutaway was out of the question"

Not at all, I saw plenty of cut aways 25 years ago ;)
I did one myself with 1 1/2 shot Capewells and chest mounted reserve without PC at around 1000 feet and had to hand feed the reserve lying on my back. Takes a little time so... :D was in a inflated reserve for 3 seceonds before hitting ground B|

You may have seen" plenty of cut aways" but you did not see any with 2 shots.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Seems to be a bit of a mixup on nomenclature here.

The lines that pull down the apex are called "Centerlines". The "Crownlines" are the lines that go from where the canopy is pulled back down to the pilot chute.

A Pap was my first main, made about 100 jumps on it, and still have it.

Crown lines: run from the crown of a PC-class canopy up to the pilot chute bridle, hence the name. Typically made of Type 2 suspension line sleeving (stuff we frequently use for main closing loops now), since the primary function is to provide a load path from parachute to pilot chute, and probably not required if you free-bagged your main.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Free-bagging any round parachute is a bad idea.

A little tension goes a long way to keeping the canopy neat during inflation. Isn't there an FAR that states minimum release strength for the Velcro or break tape that is supposed to connect a direct deployment bag to the top of round mains?

At a minimum you should have a 1" X 6" (I forget the exact dimensions) strip of Velcro connecting the top of the crown lines to the inside of a direct bag type static-line.

Viking,,what ever you do,, DO NOT sell that rig,,keep it forever,,its a connection between you,Dad and jumping. With a riggers help you can safely jump it in another rig,,and its a hoot ,I made 75 on a red-white-blue one in '78. its a must do...good luck!!
wally
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

A little tension goes a long way to keeping the canopy neat during inflation. Isn't there an FAR that states minimum release strength for the Velcro or break tape that is supposed to connect a direct deployment bag to the top of round mains?

§ 105.47 Use of static lines.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may conduct a parachute operation using a static line attached to the aircraft and the main parachute unless an assist device, described and attached as follows, is used to aid the pilot chute in performing its function, or, if no pilot chute is used, to aid in the direct deployment of the main parachute canopy. The assist device must—
(1) Be long enough to allow the main parachute container to open before a load is placed on the device.
(2) Have a static load strength of—
(i) At least 28 pounds but not more than 160 pounds if it is used to aid the pilot chute in performing its function; or
(ii) At least 56 pounds but not more than 320 pounds if it is used to aid in the direct deployment of the main parachute canopy; and
(3) Be attached as follows:
(i) At one end, to the static line above the static-line pins or, if static-line pins are not used, above the static-line ties to the parachute cone.
(ii) At the other end, to the pilot chute apex, bridle cord, or bridle loop, or, if no pilot chute is used, to the main parachute canopy.
(b) No person may attach an assist device required by paragraph (a) of this section to any main parachute unless that person is a certificated parachute rigger or that person makes the next parachute jump with that parachute.
(c) An assist device is not required for parachute operations using direct-deployed, ram-air parachutes.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Seems to be a bit of a mixup on nomenclature here.

The lines that pull down the apex are called "Centerlines". The "Crownlines" are the lines that go from where the canopy is pulled back down to the pilot chute.

A Pap was my first main, made about 100 jumps on it, and still have it

Thanks for the clarification....but considering I have not touched a Pap since 1977.. am not a rigger.... and did not jump since 1981 till March of last year.. things do get a bit fuzzy...

But hey.. I would REALLLLY love to find my old BLACK dyed B-4 surplus container with my red and black PAP... and the Belly wart with the alternating white-orange C-9 that I got to ride 2 times because I was not the greatest packer back then when it came to all the lines ( center-crown-steering) that had to be stowed just right.

[reply
But hey.. I would REALLLLY love to find my old BLACK dyed B-4 surplus container with my red and black PAP... and the Belly wart with the alternating white-orange C-9 that I got to ride 2 times because I was not the greatest packer back then when it came to all the lines ( center-crown-steering) that had to be stowed just right.

Hi Amazon

LMAO very funny thread plus the guy's picture is priceless (not making fun of you dude), I'm glad to still be around to see this attitude. Mini system, pap, reserve suspended just below the capewells. Thats first class stuff. Never could afford the container system "back in the day".

The golden knights knew how to pack the PC type canopies and they didn't like to waste time packing. They needed to be jumping:)
We watched them pack one time after that stowing center-crown-steering lines, no problemo.B|

500 jumps on rounds no equipment mals. Me a little light weight happy camper:)
Gotta love those knights:D

R.I.P.

Lots of cutaway talk earlier in this thread about pulling the wire loops in 1 1/2 shots with your thumbs. I once rode a streamered PC longer than planned while working on getting a gloved thumb up through one of those rings (I got the other one first try). A better plan (I was told later) is to bring both hands downward while going for the rings with all four fingers on each side. That way you're four times as likely to engage the rings first grab. Anybody else heard this advice?

Lucky for me, I guess, I finally got both thumbs in the rings and never needed to try the "preferred" method on 1 1/2 shots after that.

Bravoniner

Lots of cutaway talk earlier in this thread about pulling the wire loops in 1 1/2 shots with your thumbs. I once rode a streamered PC longer than planned while working on getting a gloved thumb up through one of those rings (I got the other one first try). A better plan (I was told later) is to bring both hands downward while going for the rings with all four fingers on each side. That way you're four times as likely to engage the rings first grab. Anybody else heard this advice?

"Back in the day" knew a guy who had a mal used two fingers to pull his cable loops rather than his thumbs. Said he had a problem removing the two fingers from one one side the cutaway.:(

He told us he wouldn't do that again :)
Now with the all the experience and the internet we don't have to repeat each other mistakes.;)

R.I.P.

Lucky for me, I guess, I finally got both thumbs in the rings and never needed to try the "preferred" method on 1 1/2 shots after that.

Bravoniner

Viking,,what ever you do,, DO NOT sell that rig,,keep it forever,,its a connection between you,Dad and jumping. With a riggers help you can safely jump it in another rig,,and its a hoot ,I made 75 on a red-white-blue one in '78. its a must do...good luck!!
wally

------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, Do NOT sell.

I sold all my old gear years ago. My wife refused to sell hers. It has been in the attic for over 25 years.

I pulled it out last month and checked it all out. Everything was as she left it 25 years ago( with the exception of all of the rubber bands were dry rotted in the main and reserve).

Well after a good inspection, repack and some minor maintenance it was ready to go.

I jumped it two weeks ago and what a Hoot!!

Most of the people there had:

-Never seen a round.

-Never seen shot and a halfs.

-Never saw a chest mount reserve.

-Never seen a spring loaded pilot chute.

There was much speculation from the current generation:

-Would it work?[:/]

-Would I land in the same county?:$

-Would I remember how to do a PLF?:o

They have heard all the horror stories from the old days and I did look like something out of an old museum but.....

...after a stand up landing.... in the peas...many of the old myths and stories were put to rest.....and.....ROUNDS ARE FUN!!!!B|

Boy am I glad she did not sell:)
GW685,D3888,C5052,SCS843