aerialcameraman

Digital rebel pics

I have a digital rebel and was wondering what everybody was using as there settings? Reason I ask is because I use all manual lenses and I just bought a 500mm tele. lens for ground shots. The problem i am having is that I use TV setting and will set it at 320 or higher during the sunny part of the day and the picture turn out great. When the sun is setting I have to turn it to sports mode to get the pictures not to be really dark. So when I'm using the 500mm lens it gets to be really dark and is hard to see the pic unless it is a really sunny day. So I ask what is the settings that most of you use on manual lenses. I keep having issues on this camera right at the sunset load or if there is cloud cover.
THANKS

500mm lens . . . uh, pardon me for askin' but, uh, . . . what's the f-stop?

That -may- have something to do with the results you're getting in low light. ;)

If you do a search, you'll find a few suggested settings for daylight conditions. Operating near sunrise or sunset . . . the conditions change so rapidly no real rule of thumb can be given. Using small aperatures isn't going to help things.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Unless i put it in sports mode during sunset and dawn i get a really dark pic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Digital Rebel have full manual settings available? You know, manual control over aperature AND shutter speed?
quade -

Yes, you can set you AV or TV to what you want. I use TV set at 320 all the time. But like I said that works great for the sunny days and when it gets sunset or on cloudy days the pics are really dark unless i use sports mode which i would like to use the TV most or all the time. I had an instance where the sports mode blurred a small part of the pic for some reason. I have not had that happen with TV mode.

You need to go back to the manual and read up on what the different modes are actually doing.

The sports mode is going to -try- to give you the fastest shutters speed consistant with what it -believes- to be an acceptable aperature for depth of field. Long story short, when it gets dark, it's just going to run out of range and produce unacceptable results. For sunrise and sunset conditions, it just may be too dark for what you're trying to do.

Also, by full manual, I meant FULL manual. Not Av or Tv, which still do quite a bit of work for you; FULL manual.

Lemma also ask you, are you talking about freefall shots or ground shots under these conditions?
quade -

I just bought a 500mm tele. lens for ground shots.

500 on a digital camera (x1.6), holy crap. Are you shooting exit shots from the ground?

We shot ground up to exit shots at Bridge Day last year with a 400mm.

Just what "ground shots" exactly are you trying to get with that 500? You may have too much lens for your needs.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I just bought a 500mm tele. lens for ground shots.

500 on a digital camera (x1.6), holy crap. Are you shooting exit shots from the ground?

We shot ground up to exit shots at Bridge Day last year with a 400mm.

Just what "ground shots" exactly are you trying to get with that 500? You may have too much lens for your needs.

peace
lew

What wonderful size lens did Deuce use to shoot those CRW shots of Amy at the Perris DZ.com boogie this year?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

What wonderful size lens did Deuce use to shoot those CRW shots of Amy at the Perris DZ.com boogie this year?

They were of Mar, and I *think* an 80mm.

Ah, yeah. He might have done some with Mar...but I believe he also did some with Amy too. Correct me if I'm wrong. :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'm confused.

You said you're using manual lenses... but then setting the camera to TV and a shutter speed of 320.

That means the camera will attempt to auto-set the aperature... But how does this work with a manual lens?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

They were of Mar, and I *think* an 80mm.

Deuce uses a 100mm for those, a VERY nice lens. I used it a bit on the ground before and took it up for a skydive once. The results are VERY nice (as we've all seen from his pics)

500mm for ground shots seems very long, I generally use my 28-200 lens for ground shots, and the majority of the pics are taken between 80-100mm
I can't see much use for a 500mm unless the landing area is huge and you only want portrait shots from people under canopy or something.

Which 500mm did you buy?

Iwan

Iwan

My bible is "How to select and use Canon SLR cameras" by Carl Shipman (it's out of print but you can find it). I would also suggest
http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canonrebel.htm[url]

if your gonna spend that much money on tools you should learn to use them properly, especially if your moniker is Aerialcameraman:P

Ryan: how are You:
In regards to your question,what settings to use...
first of all, for night time games or any other sports under less than optimun lighting coditions, you want to shoot at the widest possible aperture you can, say at 4.0 (im thinking you got the 500mm f4 with IS or 500mm f4.5 , so again you want to shoot at the widest possible aperture the lens can offer,
otherwise if you attempt to catch the action at any other setting say 5.6 or 8.0 your pictures are gonna come out blurry, because the shutter speed is too slow, also increase your iso to either 1600 or 3200 , that will give you a break, youre gonna get some noise but thats cool, you can deal with that either noise ninja or some other photo enhancing software
if you decide to let the camera do the thinking for you its probably gonna try to activate the flash and since your shootign with big glass it wont matter plus its gonna keep wanting to focus and its just gonna hang because there isnt enough light to focus on.
hope this helps man.
regards
Paul

Keeping it real 22x7

I got the lenses to work like i wanted today. I was just asking a question due to a problem i was having and just needed some advise. I know how to work my stuff that i bought. I just asked..

I know this isn't going to sound like it but I'm trying to help you and I'm not being sarcastic. Give a man a fish.....and all that

That being said. I don't think you do. Basic photography says your issue was underexposure. Since you have immediate feedback you should have turned your camera to manual opened up the the f-stop all the way and then take a pic of something in the same conditions if you have the same prob then step down the shutter speed and repeat until fixed. I actually forgot about film speed until I saw speed formulas post but then again I'm barely hugging one leg on this elephant.

I've heard the magic lantern has really good manuals also