kevin922

Smoke Question....

hey, i can't seem to find this information. I did a birdman smoke jump this weekend and this is the 2nd time i've done it with poor results. The smoke ("skydiver smoke" from paragear) just really performs under par. You pull the pin and on both of them the smoke really doesn't start putting out until way after you pull the pin, and the volume isn't that great. I've found another company who makes smoke cannisters much like the skydiver smoke and they advertise that it is a 60 second burn with 40,000 cu/ft of smoke. Does anyone know the cu/ft rating on the paragear smoke?

Are you jumping colored smoke or white smoke? White seems to show up considerably better in most circumstances. It also burns a bit cooler and would be a bit more kind to your gear. The colored smoke has a tendancy to get pigment on your jumpsuit and canopy during deployments.

In either case, smoke gets more spread out in freefall/tracking than under canopy, you might try popping two canisters and seeing if that works for you.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Okay .. called paragear, it's 30,000 cu feet. The cans i found are 40,000 cu feet and are 32.50 compared to the 28 or 29 that paragear sells them for. My birdman suit is red, and the ones i've jumped have been red so it's been okay with my suit the small amount that does get on blends in.

My bracket (from jim wallace) does have room for two cans.. i just hate making a 70.00 jump out of an otter :)

I would buy one of these cans of this 40,000 cu foot smoke but it costs 20 bucks "hazmat" plus the standard shipping rate.. so it isn't worth it.

Kevin

A 10 LB bag of flour cost 1.97 and leaves an extremely big trail--slice the bag with a razor blade and duct tape it closed with a handle to pull it open as you go. May not be so great for birdman it it is fun for everything else. Duct tape the bag to your leg.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

A 10 LB bag of flour cost 1.97 and leaves an extremely big trail--slice the bag with a razor blade and duct tape it closed with a handle to pull it open as you go. May not be so great for birdman it it is fun for everything else. Duct tape the bag to your leg.

And how long does that last ??

Are you jumping colored smoke or white smoke? White seems to show up considerably better in most circumstances. It also burns a bit cooler and would be a bit more kind to your gear. The colored smoke has a tendancy to get pigment on your jumpsuit and canopy during deployments.

In either case, smoke gets more spread out in freefall/tracking than under canopy, you might try popping two canisters and seeing if that works for you.

what Paul said, I turned everthing from my knee down green on one demo.... never did come out of the sneakers....

Superior Skydiver Smoke may not be the brightest or most glamorous, but it as far safer than most of the other smoke cannisters available.
All of the military smokes leave nasty stains on your gear. And some of the military smokes are just plain dangerous. For example, if you ever encounter military smoke with the letters "WP" on the outside, do not touch it! A far wiser move would be to run away screaming at the top of your lungs! White phosphorous is truly nasty stuff! The label it hazardous materials for good reason.
Far better to be bored with Superior Skydiver Smoke than trying to douse your flaming leg because you chose the more glamorous military surplus smoke.

hey, i can't seem to find this information. I did a birdman smoke jump this weekend and this is the 2nd time i've done it with poor results. The smoke ("skydiver smoke" from paragear) just really performs under par. You pull the pin and on both of them the smoke really doesn't start putting out until way after you pull the pin, and the volume isn't that great. I've found another company who makes smoke cannisters much like the skydiver smoke and they advertise that it is a 60 second burn with 40,000 cu/ft of smoke. Does anyone know the cu/ft rating on the paragear smoke?

I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if I repeat anything already said.

Get the smoke right from the manufacturer. I have had good results that way. the smoke performs just fine.

Superior smoke signal is who it is. they are 30,000 cu/ft

Who is the 40,000 cu/ft?

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

understandable problems with top burn smoke designs.
the problem is because the smoke compounds are ignited from the top and burn down like a candle.
we are working on a solution for your smoke.
we invented the flame-less m-18 and we are now working on a specialty smoke cartridge for sky diving.
these smoke cartridge will be revers core burn smoke grains.
they work just like a solid rocket propellant motor used in missiles they ignite from the back and burn to the exhause port and burn from the center of the smoke grain to the out side,this keeps heat to a min.
this design allows us to use schedual 40 pvc with out harming the casings.
this also allows us to produce a smoke grain in the weight of 10 to 12 ounce solid smoke grain and use a huge 5/8 core.
with this configuration we can get 6 miniuts of smoke in 60-90 seconds. or 250,000cf of smoke in just 60-90 seconds.
very high valium.
liberty team will handle these when we complete the finnal testing but we are working on it for sky diving.
more details are on our web site www.flamelesssmokegrenades.com

And some of the military smokes are just plain dangerous. For example, if you ever encounter military smoke with the letters "WP" on the outside, do not touch it! A far wiser move would be to run away screaming at the top of your lungs! White phosphorous is truly nasty stuff! The label it hazardous materials for good reason.

HAHA! I agree that Military smoke stains your gear...We jump smoke all the time and we use M18 smoke grenades on an ankle bracket with quick release. My black jump suit has green, red, and yellow stains on the leg and the white stripes on the grippers are now PINK!

We also find that the "slag" or chunks of debris that comes off the smoke will burn your suit or rig if you are trying to backslide.

The white smoke screen stuff burns SUPER hot and one of our guys suffered some impressive burns on his leg through a cordura suit.

We have jumped the skydiver smoke, and while it is not as impressive as an M18, it is safer, cooler, and we do not worry about burning the canopies or jumpers with it.

My opinion, use the skydiver smoke, it is not as impressive, but it is safer, and that is one less thing to worry about
"This is better than sex, and cheaper too!"