SniperCJ

Tongue switch problem

Has anybody had their tongue switch (Conceptus) affected by high humidity?

Last weekend I came down from 2 jumps with all my stills fired. Checked the switch and as soon as I pluged it in, it started firing shots. Tried a couple of different things and same result.

Went to a backup switch and worked ok.

When I got home I was packaging it up to send to Ed and plugged it in one last time to show my gf and it worked fine.

Also, does anyone have a better e-mail for Ed at Conceptus. I mailed him Sunday and havnt heard from him.

I'll probably just pack it up and include a note, cuz I cant trust the switch at this point.

JC

It is probably one of the newer "un-sealed" switches. I had the same problems with a new one, but fortunately I found an older sealed version and have had no problems.

D

Yeah, my first one lasted for almost two years - then I went through 3 of the damned things in about two weeks. I finally found someone who bought one a couple years earlier as a back up so I bought it from him. That one has lasted over a year and a half. It's a freakin' crap shoot. Some are good - some, not so good. It doesn't take much to make that little plunger on the micro-switch stick.

It is funny,

I have always made my own switches, and I am always diappointed when they quit working on me. This year, I decided to try the conceptus tongue switch. It worked for less than a month (weekends only) and I am extremely pissed off at that company. I spent $40 for nothing, or to have the same problem on my homemade Radio Shack switches that cost me about $3.00 to make. It sucks, you would figure a company that touts itself at being good at something would be able to deliver a superior product than one I can make. I can't even solder that well...

So my solution, I just found a friend of mine is a n electronics guy, and basically solders all day long. I gave him all the raw materials, and he will make me a bunch of switches that are soldered so much better than the ones i made. that should help them last a little longer.

btw, if interested, it is a sub-mini lever switch from radio hack, some 2 conductor wire, some solder and hot glue--to coat the connections of the sub mini switch....

screw conceptus
jeff D-16906

On the other hand . . .

I've been -very- pleased with the Conceptus products.

I used to use the bite switches but after a few hundred jumps I'd eventually bite through it, so, I changed over to the tongue switch and haven't really had any problems expect for when doing oxygen loads. On those, the extra altitude and pressure changes are enough to cause the switch to get stuck in the on position momentarily during freefall. Suck on the switch to unstick it and usually comes works again in a second or two.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

On those, the extra altitude and pressure changes are enough to cause the switch to get stuck in the on position momentarily during freefall. Suck on the switch to unstick it and usually comes works again in a second or two.

Interesting. I've had 2 Conceptus tongue switches and never had a problem with either one of them.

However, just last weekend....first jump (the one I showed you tonight) the switch stuck after opening. I could hear the pictures being clicked off and nothing I did would stop it. Disappointingly, I heard the roll finish and it rewind...while still under canopy.

I never thought of sucking on the switch. IF it ever happens again I'll try that approach. Still don't know why the switch malfunctioned. I used it on the next two jumps (tandems again) and it functioned just fine. Hmmmmm......

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I guess I should.

But I feel screwed already, having spent $40 for worthless plastic. It makes me mad.

The other problem for me is that I had my soldering friend check the continuity of it, and found that is doesnt work. but to check this, he had to rip off the red button. It is gonna be pretty hard to explain to Ed...yeah hey, this doesnt work, yeah i know the3 red button is gone, can you send me another one...

it sucks all around.

jeff D-16906

Get in touch with Conceptus. I had one of the earlier bite switches (the straight ones) die on me, and I bought another. I thought it was having problems last week, so I sent an email to conceptus, and here is what he sent back.

We will replace just about any switch for any reason. If you'll send
them back I'll gladly send you new ones.

He offered to replace even the old one with a new one. I'd say Ed seemed willing to make me, a customer, happy. I'd be willing to bet if you gave him the story, he would send you a new one.

j

got the same thing goin here, and works awesome. but I did cut the finger off of a latex glove, and wrapped in over the switch to keep the slobber from screwing up the switch.

Just a thought. Make sure those are latex free gloves. There are more and more people becoming allergic to latex....nasty stuff.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon