Viking

Buying a rig with downsizing in mind.

Do you guys see any problem with buying a rig sized for a 170 but jumping a 190 and eventually coming down to a 150? As i understand it you can go up or down one canopy size without any problems.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

you shouldnt have a problem.but it may be difficult to get a 190 in a bag or container for a 170.what you could try is getting down to a 170 first then buy your gear.and talk to your rigger he or she will be able to tell you more about it and give you relly good tips on what to do.

I don't jump enough right now to feel comfy on a 170. I have flown the 190 and feel very confident dispite not jumping as much as i would like (every weekend!!) If i tried to get down to a 170 using rental gear i would go broke and then not be able to get my own gear. I would rather cuss while packing then have to cuss right before hitting the groundB|

I had asked my rigger if it was OK to squeeze a older 135 (figuring they tend to pack smaller with time) in a container made for a 120. He said I could do it, but it will only strech the material of the container. Kind of like if you buy too tight jeans, after a while they will stretch to accomodate you comfortably. Of course, with jeans, you only need to wash them to get back the original fit, I am not sure if that would be the case with containers, and if that applies to larger containers at all in fact.
But looking at my b/f's rig (made for a Stiletto 120, but has a Velocity 96 in it now, which apparantly packs larger), his rig had to be mended at several parts at the last check. On the other hand, it does have a few years and a lot of jumps on it.

email the manufacturer of the rig you are buying, nobody is better than the manufacturer to say yes its good, no its bad.

I used to put a 150 inside a container sized for a 210 and it was kinda loose but the manufacturer didn't told me anything about it. Just make sure that the closing loop is very tight when you put the small canopy in it.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I have a Wings W-10 which is made to hold a 135-150 square foot canopy. I've put both sizes in there and now I've got a 120 and its fine. I'm not sure it will take the next size down although I know of at least one person using a the same size container for a cross braced 108 (unfortunately, it will be quite a while before I even think about cross braces...). Also packing the 150 left me forever pissed at packing in general....but that's another story.
Double check with the manufacturer.

Jess

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

I just received a new container (Mirage G4) that is size MT. I have a 120 Hornet in it , but because I have a big Hornet logo sewed in to the canopy its packingvolyme is more like a 135 sqft range.

Mirage says a 120 sabre in MT is "tight" . I can assure you that my 120 Hornet is VERY tight.

It was really a pain in the ass to pack the canopy first time. I did it 3 days ago and my hands still hurt. Now its not that bad anymore after the closing loop has been stretched and maby the container isnt so stiff from being brand new anymore. But still it is Tight...

I get some small wrinkles on the sides of the container and its hard as a rock, but it aint too bad. It actually looks pretty good. I even get the three 1st "loop grommets" lining up and the last one is maby 1cm to the side. The closing loop is a bit longer than mirage suggests but I guess its okay as long as the loop is tight and the grommets line up decently.

I guess you have to deside your self if you want to break a sweat everytime you pack your canopy. I yet cant say if my decision to get the MT was good or not. I my self dont mind spending some more time to close the rig, but I am conserned if the container will stretch too much.

Do you think you could give your opinion on my question and not make smartass remarks about someone elses? Thanx :)

Please take what I'm about to say with a huge bolder of salt (after all to some people I don't know very much about this sport), but you should be able to fit a 190 in a container sized for a 170. But get yourself a used 190 that's not super slippery. I am packing a new slippier-than-owls-shit Sabre2 170 with only 26 jumps on it (in a container sized for a 170 and/or a very tight 190) and while I do have a packing technique which works for me, it is troublesome and challenging at times. And as someone still relatively new to the sport, you want to experience successes much more than failures and frustrations. And as far as fitting a 150 in a container sized for a 170, I would think that as long as your closing loop is short enough and your rigger inspects and okays the main tray and dbag. You might be good to go. I know I will be in the same boat with my current setup if/when I decide to downsize to a 150. But only after my rigger (currently Hooknswoop) says it's safe. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

And as someone still relatively new to the sport, you want to experience successes much more than failures and frustrations.

I agree. I opted to jump a PD-170 for that reason. Easier to pack (and it was challenging anyway as I learned to pro pack). I wasn't enthusistic about learning to pro pack on new ZP and I wanted to jump not to jump up and down :S. It fits fine in a container which came with a ZP-150 (Silhouette 150), a Jav J1. The PD-170 wasn't expensive either (used, less than 100 jumps). I'm sure you could get a container that will easily fit both.

I have a Wings W-10 which is made to hold a 135-150 square foot canopy. I've put both sizes in there and now I've got a 120 and its fine. I'm not sure it will take the next size down although I know of at least one person using a the same size container for a cross braced 108 (unfortunately, it will be quite a while before I even think about cross braces...). Also packing the 150 left me forever pissed at packing in general....but that's another story.
Double check with the manufacturer.

Jess

When you are thinking of downsizing and worried about pack volume being to small, you may want to look in to an airlocked canopy (Lotus) or something with a closed off nose (crossfire), they pack up much bigger than thier standard counterparts.

Example I have an MXS made for a 120 stiletto. I had a crossfire 116 in there and it was SUPER tight, I put a 97 stiletto in it and it was Very loose. Yet my 104 crossfire is still tight in the container.....So while I wouldn't go smaller than a 97 stletto I'd have no problems putting a 89 crossfire in it.
Fly it like you stole it!

When you are thinking of downsizing and worried about pack volume being to small, you may want to look in to an airlocked canopy (Lotus) or something with a closed off nose (crossfire), they pack up much bigger than thier standard counterparts.

he ... he ... he ... so does that mean I can put a 150 Crossfire2 in my current container? Cool ... of course not to worry about me downsizing anytime soon as I'm only 26 jumps into my new Sabre2 and it has a lot of zip left in it for me to be learning on (especially since we've yet to experience the high density altitude conditions during the hot summer months). :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

We size rigs like that alot and it generally works out just fine. Some model containers work better than others, and even some size containers are more forgiving that other sizes within a given model of rig. Kelly's Infinity seems to be very well sized for this sort of sizing...we've never had a problem making this work in one of his rigs. We have run into problems once or twice on Javs, but there were some exceptions with the canopy types going into the rig.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

he ... he ... he ... so does that mean I can put a 150 Crossfire2 in my current container? Cool ... of course not to worry about me downsizing anytime soon as I'm only 26 jumps into my new Sabre2 and it has a lot of zip left in it for me to be learning on (especially since we've yet to experience the high density altitude conditions during the hot summer months). :)

More than likely you will be fine putting a standard size 150 in it (190/170/150 = 120/107/97) it is when you want to put a 135 in it that you may have to worry about pack volume.

BTW....I put packed your main when it was assembled and I'm possitive a 150 can fit in that container.
Fly it like you stole it!

Sure,

Why do you hate this guy? You obvious want him to inflict serieus pain on himself! He says he wants a 190 and you tell him to go to a 170..! Sure you said downsizing, but how many jumps before you know a canopy? My rule of thumb is at LEAST 300 jumps and that's not much even...

Nothing personal towards you, but I'm really starting to hate all those ambulance rided and funerals I'm going to latly....
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I would go with the INFINITY and the SABRE2. But you will probably not be able to find a used Sabre2 in any size and if you do you got lucky. There is nothing wrong with the Pilot but it is still so new. You never know what kind of things might come up with a new canopy. I remember when the Triathlon first came out, my friend and I received ours on the same day. We did our first jumps on them together and his blew up mine was fine for another 300 jmps until I sold it. I have talked to Kelly and Jeff at Velocity and they both have said going up one size with your canopy should not be a problem and going down one or even two sizes depending on the canopy is a possibility.
Dom

I am putting a 190 in a 170 bag now and am doing it for the same reason you stated. What helped me is that I used a PISA Hornet and due to the small packing volume of the canopy (south african material is less slippery and packs smaller) I am able to pull this off with relative ease.

Try to find u a used or shelf Hornet or other SA material canopy and you can do the same. The Hornets are no longer being made due to the aquisition by Aerodyne but you can find them. Actually I may be willing to sell you my 190. It has 100 jumps on it. I need to find me a 170 in good shape.

Oz
Motion = Emotion

i didnt tell him to go out and buy a 170! i suggested to him to get down to a 170,when ever hes ready.i by no way would give advice or encourage people to do any thing to get them selves hurt!as for spoken like a true freeflyer you know where to stick that.viking bro jump what you feel comfortable with.