lewmonst

Hooray!! I got my new 10D! Ritz Camera ROCKS!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I got my new 10D, replaced at no cost from Ritz Camera because I had the ESP. If you saw this thread, you know the story...

I just have to plug Ritz here, having the $200/yr warranty on a $1500 camera has paid off. I am not afraid to brake my cameras! Or destroy them completely. Jonathan from Ritz said they are using my old 10D as a advertisement for their ESP program.

Honesty paid off. Karma is good.

I also bought a new Sigma 15mm from Ritz with the ESP, a few more $$ than any online retailer, but the warranty is worth it. I had bought it from b&h last time, no warranty.

BUY FROM RITZ WITH THE ESP! GO BUST YOUR CAMERA! THEY ROCK!
peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I also bought a new Sigma 15mm from Ritz with the ESP, a few more $$ than any online retailer, but the warranty is worth it. I had bought it from b&h last time, no warranty.

B&H does still rock, and they do sell ESP's for equipment.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

B&H does still rock, and they do sell ESP's for equipment.

No, no actually, they don't. They have a Mack warranty which is as follows:

This warranty is an extension of the manufacturer's normal warranty on the equipment for an additional period of three (3) years. This equipment will be guaranteed to operate properly according to manufacturer's specifications or Mack will repair equipment to operate properly at no charge to you (this includes all parts and labor). Such service, repairs or adjustment of this equipment is assured the original purchaser only.

This warranty does not cover equipment which has been misused, tampered with, modified or damaged as a result of accident, water, grit, impact or lack of proper care as indicated in the manual of operations.

Accessories not covered: flashes, batteries, power adapter, digital media, software, LCD (non-manufacturer defects), lens, and additional accessories or other expenses or consequential damages.

bold by me, to emphasize the difference between the Mack warranty and Ritz's ESP.

I have yet to find any other retailer with a warranty as good as Ritz's ESP.

B&H is still a great retailer, and I still buy lots from them as they usually have a fair price and a good reputation. But for the warranty, Go Ritz.

peace
lew

Glad to hear you got the gear back from the tight insurance folks. You can show me next week when I'll be in your neck of the woods for the Verticle Challenge all weekend.

I hope Hamo will be around, my sector capt from Arizona. Say hi and have a few beers...
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

Hey Lew, how did you get them to replace it? Their policy excludes fire from what I found on their site.

---
Our Expanded Service Policy provides your equipment with coverage from almost every possible occurrence (except fire and theft) while you are using your equipment....
---

Just curious how cool they are if I were to bring back a flattened 10D that went in. Thanks.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Hey Lew, how did you get them to replace it? Their policy excludes fire from what I found on their site.

---
Our Expanded Service Policy provides your equipment with coverage from almost every possible occurrence (except fire and theft) while you are using your equipment....
---

Just curious how cool they are if I were to bring back a flattened 10D that went in. Thanks.

They'd be fine with the one that goes in after a jump, however in case of fire it takes some creativeness I believe on someone's behalf if you know what I mean :)

you can probbaly read some of the previous threads re. this camera if you don't know what i mean

---
---

They'd be fine with the one that goes in after a jump, however in case of fire it takes some creativeness I believe on someone's behalf if you know what I mean :)

you can probbaly read some of the previous threads re. this camera if you don't know what i mean

---
---

Just my 2 cents.....why spend $200 on a warranty when you can spend a fraction and just have it scheduled....or itemized on your renters or home owners insurance?

I just added my Digital Rebel and flash card, battery & sigma 15mm on there for a total of $1800 covered. It cost me a whopping $11 per year for this additional coverage. And guess what that covers.....EVERYTHING. I asked the question long ago....."So if I call up and say that I had this camera strapped to my head and jump out of a plane and someone smashes into me and it plummets to the ground, what are you going to say?" and their response was "Where should we send the check?"

Unlike regular renters or home owners insurance that covers things when there is proof of theft or fire or the like, with a scheduled item, you give the insurance company the receipts up front and that's what is covered. So literally, ANYTHING could happen to the item insured and they cover it. As long as you don't intentionally smash it and ask for another one ;)

Check with your insurance company and I'm sure they will say the same thing. And if you don't have insurance........get it! Basic coverage is as low as a few hundred per year. Just ask the crew out at Elsinore....I know a few had coverage.....and I'm sure they are thankful.....

I tried that... But technically it's business property (since I use it to make money) and would have to be covered on a business policy. Even still, for one camera, if I wanted to make a claim, you're still looking at a deductible, which is a $1000 and possible rate increases for any loss claims made. I have renter's through state farm, and they wouldn't even write me a business policy for skydiving equipment. I can claim some of my equipment on my renter's since some of it I don't use for making money... I had a long discussion with the guy about this... And I didn't lie about anything, because adjusters will find out if you violate the terms of the policy, ie, you make money skydiving but say you don't and try to claim the property on anything other than a business policy.

Jason,
read the previous thread, I can't get the fire smell out. I didn't think they'd replace it, but they did. They would certainly replace one that was flattened by impact, that's clearly covered in the policy. I talked to the salesman at length about what i was doing with the camera when I bought it, showed him my helmet and discussed the possibility of dropping it from thousands of feet... He said "Just bring the pieces back in a bag!"

peace
lew

I talked to the salesman at length about what i was doing with the camera when I bought it, showed him my helmet and discussed the possibility of dropping it from thousands of feet... He said "Just bring the pieces back in a bag!"

That's what they told me too when they tried to sell me the insurance on my videocamera.
The only thing they have to be able to read is the serial number of the item that's insured.. it can be completely shattered, as long as they can recover that.. you get paid.

I talked to the salesman at length about what i was doing with the camera when I bought it, showed him my helmet and discussed the possibility of dropping it from thousands of feet... He said "Just bring the pieces back in a bag!"

That's what they told me too when they tried to sell me the insurance on my videocamera.
The only thing they have to be able to read is the serial number of the item that's insured.. it can be completely shattered, as long as they can recover that.. you get paid.

Yep. And even better than that, my camera was destroyed in a fire, which technically they said they didn't cover, and you could not read the serial number on it at all. Like I said when i went back to the store, I didn't have my hopes up for those reasons. In fact, I almost didn't even go back to the store and try, I figured it was pointless, but then I said what the hell, and I can't believe it worked out.

sometimes things work out...
peace
lew

Glad to hear it Lew.

Glad you took the chance and went back to Ritz. I'll certainly remember their actions when asked about where to buy cameras.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Hey Lew, I've also been laughed out of a few insurance offices when I told them I wanted insurance to cover my business. I do BASE jumping videography, photography, and I run the BASE jumping at Bridge Day. It's all part time work, but nobody will insure me. Erie Insurance won't even insure a machine shop who makes parts that go in an aircraft (basically, they won't insure anything even remotely related to flying).
Oh well.....that Ritz $200 deal sounds better everyday for the uninsurable people like us.

Good luck with your new 10D;)
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Hey there, sorry a little slow in the response...jury duty yesterday B|

Anywhoo, I just hung up with my insurance company. On my overall policy I have a $100 deductible and on scheduled items, there is NO deductible. And yes, that is the $11 per year for the $1800 in canon & accessories.

Also, to your point....or someone's point above, while I jump all the time, I am still a weekend jumper and this is NOT my profession....i.e....I do not generate my income through using my skydiving gear, camera, etc....so for me, skydiving and freefall photography is just considered a hobby. Sure there is the occasional coach jump or published photo, but they are not paying the mortgage.

So with that said.....I'm gonna stand by my statement that scheduling equipment on your home owners or renters insurance is a good way to go....and cheaper........for the weekend jumper anyways.....

what insurance carrier do you have?
what's the policy do you have that you add scheduled items to? (renter's? homeowners?)
what's your overall premium per year or month?

$100 deductible - that's it? That's surprising. You must be paying for a phat policy.

I'm still looking for a good business policy to cover my stuff.
peace
lew

I've got Amica. Not sure if they are nationwide or not, but they have been pretty good so far. Also, it's a home owners policy.....well....actually.....it's kind of between a home owners and a renters since I own a condo. It's more like a renters since there is a master policy for the association of condos itself.

Anywhoo, I've got the items scheduled on that. It's a pretty good deal. I believe that the policy is up to $30K in personal property, plus $20K for the dwelling (that's the odd part....the master policy will rebuild your condo from the "studs out" they call it. so the dwelling coverage is for stuff like flooring, sinks, counters, etc....), and the scheduled items aren't included in these totals.....they are additional payouts if a claim was to occur.

The policy runs me around $340 or so per year. Not sure exact # but not a bad deal for piece of mind. Like if my rental car with rigs and camera gear was broken into, it would cover that loss. Just hope I never have to use it......

Simple answer, have you ever experienced an increase in your homeowners insurance? Have you ever had to make a claim?? Most insurance companies I've dealt with in my years as a homeowner don't take lightly to claims and it has always shown in my premium. I'm all for the coverage, I would honestly look to other avenues for it is all.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --