fundgh

CamEye II and Freefly

Is it nice to have a Cameye in your helmet when freeflying with a camera on your head (ie - not professional photo work, just messing with video)? I am ordering a Rawa, and I am just wondering if it is worth it to put a cameye in it. It seems like a cool feature to have, are there any drawbacks?
...FUN FOR ALL!

I personally dont think it matters what kind of flying you are doing, the assurance of knowing your camera is turned on is worth the money for a cam eye.

JMHO it beats asking the guy next to you hey is this thing on or screwing around with a mirror to look for that little red light on your camera.

The first time you miss the video of that kick ass skydive because your camera wasn't on youll wish you spent the damn 55.00 for the cam eye.

But thats just what I think.

get it. there are no drawbacks on it. I have turned my camera on at the step and on exit when something went wrong and realized it wasn't on. It even tells you if you got it in the right setting and if you have battery or tape about to run out.

Not worth it in my opinion. Just extra stuff to plug/tape/protect, whatever. I have a cameye on my video helmet for tandems, which also has a ringsight. I never use the button on the cameye, I only use it for record verification.

My freefly video helmet is small, clean, and minimal. No ringsight, no cameye. since I am going to be editing the footage anyway, having an extra second of footage where someone checks the video light isn't a big deal.

my .02

j

having an extra second of footage where someone checks the video light isn't a big deal.

It just annoys the piss out of folks on the plane.

I don't have a CamEye, although I think they're really a good idea, I would have one if I shot "real" video, but for me, its all about fun with the camera, so I don't care.

Right before red light, I switch my camera on, leave my fingers on it to feel the vibration the camera makes when it turns on. After that I count to 5 and hit the button. Works like a champ and I don't have to bother anyone else on the plane.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

it is a bother and inconvience when doing a working video jump or fun jump when checking your gear, video, handles, straps and someone is asking "is my camera on?????"

buy it. It is worth it for convience and knowing if your camera is on.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

man, you guys are a bit too up tight at your dz then! ;)

Usually it is the person I am jumping with that I ask. If they are too freakin bothered by it, then I don't feel bad if the video is missed. We have such video whores at our dz that no one minds.

That being said, I do the same thing you do to turn the camera on. If in doubt, I just turn it off and on. Only on jumps that I really want the footage of do I 'bother' someone else in the plane.

j

I only have a handful of camera jumps but IMO
I like the cameye for the reasons posted above.
I have jump a few different helmets/setups before I bought my own. EVERYTIME I jumped one with out a cameye I remembered to turn the vid on while I was holding onto the outside of the plane.

Its pretty hard to forget when you have a visual.
only drawback? its not free! LOL
My photos

My Videos

I have two camera helmets one for FF one for RW, I have install Cam eye in both, the only problem I'm having recently is The Cam eye turns off the camera on Freefall, so I came back to just turn on the camera before jumping and hope for the best, I think the problem is in the camera the connector got damage maybe for taking tha cam eye in an out for several jumps.
Personal I love the Cam eye To the point that sometimes I forget the connector is not working properly and still connect the Eye to later find out it turned the camera off.

But I love my litle red/blue light next to my glasses.

Later
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

My main camera helmet has one my FF helmet does not. My FF helmet is very minimal. I have not had any problems with it. The video whores I FF with make sure its in record for fear of not getting to see themselves on TV.

I have had problems using a cam-eye - like spontaneosly turning off the camera and no light. The strain relief is not very good on the cabling and I've had solder joints break. Additional soldering's been required. Everything is internally mounted so its a pain to get to.

I never use the button - I have the switch covered with fiberglass so it doesn't get pushed by mistake. I do like the lights at least when I'm getting paid so I don't get paranoid.

I've owned a Rawa for almost a year, and I love my Cam-eye. I flew it for a few weeks without one, and missed a few shots (turned off instead of on.) I've mounted mine in the back, just behind the flat top (drilled a hole.) Everything is internal, and it's simply awesome (especially since I had to use NO tape.) Want a pic? PM me.

No matter how good she looks, someone, somewhere is
sick of her shit!

I got by without a cameye just fine for years.

My old PC 7 had a reasonably big switch and record button that was hard to mess up. Up for record, down for VCR, center for off.
I just glued a bit of plastic mirror to my alti to double check the record light, and was good to go.

However, with my new camera (HC 30) the controls are really small and difficult to operate blindly.
Plus, you have 3 different functions to accidentally switch between with the same movement:
Switch up 1x = record, 2x = memory chip record, 3x = VCR.

I've got to say that now that I have a cameye, I really like it.
I'd even put one on my old camera if I had it to do over.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

I love my cam eye jumped with it for 2 years now, broke the cable on the first one and now own a cam eye 2 with the thicker cable, its great not having to worry about weather the camera is on or off, and you know the day you get this incredable shot you would have forgot to turn the camera on, Worry free pretty much hands free, hit the button twice and you on you way, easy to turn off under canopy which is nice in traffic, worth every dollar.
Just my .2 cents
Gary Harbird