Squeak

fire wire cables

OK so the PC105 is on the way, I bought a 3 port firewire card, but there are no cables.
What cables will I need to upload to the PC (computer) from the PC (vid cam) and is it the same one to use for loading from Cam to Cam???
Thanks n advance:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Your firewire port will either be 4 pin or 6 pin. For swapping footage from cam to cam you need a 4 pin - 4 pin cable. For transferring footage from your camera to the computer you will need either a 4 pin - 4 pin or a 4 pin - 6 pin depending on what your firewire card requires. Read the box to find out.

Firewire cables can have one of two plugs on the end: a small 4 pin or a larger 6 pin. I think the only difference (other than the size) is that the 6 pin can carry power. Anway, the sockets on your new firewire card will most likely be for the larger 6 pin plugs but your camera will need the 4 pin. So you need a cable with a 6 pin on one end and a 4 pin on the other - that's if you want to trasfer between the camera and the computer. If you want to transfer between two cameras you'll need a cable with a 4 pin on both ends.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Squeak, the cam to cam will be 4 pin to 4 pin.
I dunno what card you've ordered, can you give us a pic, or a description?
I've seen both flavours on firewire cards, my PCMCIA adaptor has both on the same card/dongle thingie.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Additional question for the experts (I aready have cables):

Is there any difference between brands? Some are ridiculously expensive and appear to have additional shielding and fancier connectors.

Is this just marketing, or does it make a real difference?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Thanx guys, looks like I need 2 cables

i have seen an atachment that will convert a 6 pin to a 4 pin so you can use your 6-4 pin for camera to camera nd computer to computer..... i recomend to cbles anyways.. sucks to loose your only cable and have to go find a new one when you need it...

if you'd bought an iMac, then the cable would have come with it, and you'd not have this conundrum.

true.. but what's he gona do with a mac.... lol..j/k... actually contilated one for a while...

but if i bought a Mac I'd be alone in the education institute.
Micofloppy, allow teachers to use ALL their software FREE;):)It's with the view that if all the teachers know how to use it, they'll recomend the kids to use it.
Very clever marketing:)AND I get thousands of $$$ worth of free software:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Is there any difference between brands? Some are ridiculously expensive and appear to have additional shielding and fancier connectors.

You know, I've wondered the same thing. From the $30 6' Belkin cable to the $9.99 Generic 6' cable. I did notice that the cheaper cables did not have the iLink (TM) logo or did the package say it supports iLink, which Sony is for. So maybe the extra $20 is for the trademark usage ? Maybe the cheapy cables don't support some of the features of iLink ? Or is it that iLink is the same thing as Firewire but it's just what Sony chooses to call it ?

I dunno for sure...but I got the iLink branded cables, just in case.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Just to add this thread from a google search:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&frame=right&th=2c4126226bc1bae8&seekm=8126df9f.0401200642.34994727%40posting.google.com#link4

For the OP....
IEEE1394 - the "official" designation / spec
Firewire - the proprietary name Apple gave it
iLink - the (semi?)-proprietary name Sony gave it

Geeze... Stick with one name and get over yourselves, Apple!

So I am assuming then that if the cheapy cables support 1394, then they will work... anyone care to confirm that they've used a cheapy firewire cable with their Sony vidcam and had great results ?

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Some of the expensive ones have ferrite EMI supressors (cylinders on the cable near the ends). I have many flavours of cables some with and some without supressors, some with fancy ends, some are quite basic and flimsy looking by comparison, and I have never had any issues with any of them.
I guess one might get a bit of interference if say the firewire cable was laid next to a power cable (multiple monitors/tvs/VCRs kinda thing?), maybe causing induction interference and a bucket of Henrys (technical terms for expert use only ;) ) to jump around, but I've never seen it in any of my setups.
I've never had an end connection or cable fail either, and I've been using some of these cables for 6 - 7 years.
Cheap cables are good, buy 2 if you have any worries, route them away from power supplies, and don't edit during lightning storms.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Some of the expensive ones have ferrite EMI supressors (cylinders on the cable near the ends). I have many flavours of cables some with and some without supressors, some with fancy ends, some are quite basic and flimsy looking by comparison, and I have never had any issues with any of them.
I guess one might get a bit of interference if say the firewire cable was laid next to a power cable (multiple monitors/tvs/VCRs kinda thing?), maybe causing induction interference and a bucket of Henrys (technical terms for expert use only ;) ) to jump around, but I've never seen it in any of my setups.
I've never had an end connection or cable fail either, and I've been using some of these cables for 6 - 7 years.
Cheap cables are good, buy 2 if you have any worries, route them away from power supplies, and don't edit during lightning storms.B|

I bought one expensive cable, then my DVD burner and external hard drive came with cheap looking ones that work just fine in my set up. I really just wondered if the cheap ones would have a problem in a more critical application (not that I know what would be more critical).

Henrys, Maxwells, Teslas, Gauss, Farads, it's all just physics.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.