adrenalinejunki

new camera setup

You need to get a little more experience before you bolt a camera onto your noggin. Most people will recommend a minimum of 200 jumps. Do a search on this forum for all that has been posted and discussed in the past. There are good tips from people who know a hell of a lot more about this than me.

"what is a good all'round camera?"

A Sony. Whatever model is the hottest around the time when you have another 100 jumps or so will probably serve you well. Current models will be old hat in a couple of months, next year we may all be jumping tapeless cameras, or some other image acquisition technology may be available. Firewire bullet cams feeding an I-Pod anyone? Combined hi res stills with decent quality movie capture?

Parasport don't do a bracket for the Z1 with good reason. By the time you fit a bracket, level it off, and strap on a camera, it will be a prime target for riser slap and potential snagging during a cutaway. The camera mounted on a Z1 will stick out a lot more than a purpose built helmet, check out Cookie, Y2K composites, Headshield, Bonehead, RAWA, Hawkeye, etc. Think about how you will jetison the helmet in the event of a snag when your body is hanging from your chin, as you experience 2-3gs during a spinning mal, this is not the time to be pissing around trying to find the wee cord that tightens up the helmet. Not to mention the inherent hassles of maintaining the visor hinge function. It can be done, its just not the best solution available.

Before spending any money, time, or effort on this, I would strongly suggest you get more freefall experience, apprentice yourself to a local cameraflier, read everything can on this forum, and discuss your future with your DZ's S&TA. There's a lot more to this aspect of skydiving than you may have considered.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Most people will recommend a minimum of 200 jumps

I agree with this completely. Not to try and bust on you, but adding anything to your skydive adds more risk and more to think about. A camera, when people start jumping one tend to get to focused on what they are filming instead of what going on around you. Most people dont watch out for the camera man either, so with you focused on the formation and someone not paying attention to you, you will need the experience to get out of a possiblly bad situation in a matter of fractions of a second. With a low number of jumps that will be hard to do because you are still learning to fly your body proficiently.

Not to mention the importance of body postion during deployment, and possibilities of riser or line snag on the camera. Just more risk and more experience is prefered in order to react.

But to answer your question, no camera mounts that I know of are made for a full face helmet. Only full face camera helmet that I know of is the sidewinder and they dont make those anymore.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

I also would completely agree with the 200 jump min before shooting video, for all the reasons that people mentioned. I know there have been people that got by with less than 200, BUT you're adding additional hazards. Ask people who do video for a living. 99% will agree with 200 jump min.

Only full face camera helmet that I know of is the sidewinder and they dont make those anymore.

Jake, that's not exactly true. I sold a sidwinder to a guy in Sept. HOWEVER it's more of a custom thing rather than a production helmet. It looked as if they just got an Oxygen A3 and molded a box on it.

Peace
D

i'm not wanting to film tandems or other people in formation, i just wanna capture MY skydives on video. I know this adds to the danger during deployment and really adds to it if a malfunction is the case. that is a risk i am willing to take.

I know this has probably been covered in Sooo many other threads, but... does the USPA have any ideas about introducing a Minimum jump number for camera (like the 200 jump limit in the UK).

IMHO any jumper passionate about the sport these days isn't gonna take too long to rack up 200 jumps in the USA sun anyway!

that is a risk i am willing to take.

Then please consider the risk -others- are having to agree to, having you strap a camera to your head. It's not just about you.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

:)this sports' "collective intelligence"...:|
... It isn't even about Numbers....
It's about having some "air-saavy".. It's about being quite fluid in freefall and for SURE about being altitude conscious,
before increasing the complexity of a jump...
with a camera... I do endorse getting a camera on which you can build a video library, by firewiring footage of yourself,, from cameras which are on skydives, of which you are a part... For a buck or two, or a cold beer or two.. or even a smile and a handshake,, most camera people (myself included ) are happy to share.. then you can learn about your camera, and play with your camera, and become a "ground" documetary film maker... Landings. boarding,, canopies, people, There are all sorts of great stuff you can video,, Give it a try...
Only
....Take your time.. there is SO much a person can experience in this sport...so go slow and Savor all of it...
,,, I had been jumpin' for 23 YEARS...
before i wore cameras...B|.... Fact is I was getting bored,,,, just skydiving,,, and wanted a new challenge,, So 10 years ago,, with over 1,700 jumps.... I filled a need at the DZ for a freefall camera person....:) ;).
.We should all Thoroughly enjoy and absorb,,, each facet of our skydiving growth,,,, before charging ahead to the next one....;)

it's a risk I'm willing to take

A fatality doesn't only affect you and your family. It affects the DZ, the DZO (who will be asked why he allowed a very inexperienced jumper to have a camera), the sport in general, local people's attitudes about skydiving, as well as anyone who sees you burn in.

Like devcloud mentioned, it doesn't take long to rack up 200 jumps. No one here wants to hear about another skydiver getting hurt.

my .02

I saw a camera set up at the Mardi Gras boogie a few weeks ago that had a lens only mounted to his helmet and a wire that ran down to a camera inside a fanny pack. The helmet part was only about the size of a tube of lipstick. I would think that with a lil modifiction to smooth out the edges, it would'nt add much at all to the risk of the risers tearing it off or anything snagging it during a malfunction. A fanny pack floatation device is required for students at our dz. Would anyone endorse a set up like this for someone like me to capture my freefalls with?:ph34r:

It's not just the risk of putting stuff on your head, you're also going to behave differently. There have been camera people boarding planes without a rig, there has even been one to EXIT without one. Also, you will be paying attention to other stuff wearing a camera then you should be paying attention to, like getting yourself safely to the ground.

Learn to fly, first!

That said, I only have a few camera jumps and not much jumps alltogether. But I know I definitely wasn't ready for a camera with only so few jumps, I think I started when I had 350 or something. Personally I think even as little as 200 jumps is pushing it, at least it would've been for me!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hey bro, no body is trying to bust your bubble. I am a rookie camera flyer myself. My instructors have always said I've been real "heads up" in freefall and I didn't start till just over 200 jumps. The size of the camera is only part of the whole equation. No matter the size, it is a big distraction. As someone already mentioned, you are (usually) not the only one in freefall. Besides whats the rush? Filming your own jumps doesn't really lend any helpful information anyway. Just my two cents, take it for what its worth.
Blue Skies;)

I think you need to heed the warnings of your fellow jumpers. This is a dangerous sport that should not be taken lightly. Point Blank.....WAIT TO GET A HELMET. Get more experience!!
There is no hurry and plenty of time to video later on. But if you must....stay out of the incident reports!!!!!
Que sera sera