scottbre

What kind of Mini-DV tapes do you recommend and/or use?

Wow, that's quite an upgrade (at least in price)
Can you see the difference between them?

I used a couple of the Blue package ones, and I liked them but couldn't really tell the difference with the TDK ones.
I might switch back though after seeing that most people go Sony all the way.

Iwan

Iwan,

Be careful switching between brands of tapes. Each manufacturer "supposedly" uses different and/or varying quantities of lubricant. Mixing brands can gum up the heads and rollers. This will most certainly cause you artifacting and the like. Just my .02. Personally, I, like the other guys get my tape stock from Tape Resources and use only Sony Premium's.

Scott
I read somewhere to learn is to remember and I've learned we all forgot

sony for sure. I had to learn the hard way too, after refunding a few tandem vids due to dropping frames and glitching. I even argued it. I was using TDK tapes, and won't ever again. Pay the extra, and use sony. The only problem I've had since then was over using a tape and one particular bad tape for some odd reason. And of course, that was during Nationals 4-way. Some places, you can find them for about 5 bucks a tape. But then again, it's been a few years since I've had to buy tapes.
my pics & stuff!

At the moment i'm using TDK tapes.. the cheapest they had when i bought my camera..

Bought these instead of sony because the guy in the camera shop informed me that there all made by the same company anyway.. just different cases....
Same deal as batteries.. same crap inside they just change the cases around :p

I had terrible dropout problems with some less expensive Sony tapes I bought last summer. Wound up throwing them in the garbage. I now use the ones in the Blue wrappers and they are good.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

FYI,
There is no difference in the playback quality of ANY mini DV tape as long as you don't get any dropped frames during the original recording. All the data on the tape is digital so the camera is going to read it the same regardless of what tape you use. The more expensive tapes "should" be less likely to get dropped frames during recording, but the quality of the image will be the same on any of them.

Skydive Radio

FYI,
There is no difference in the playback quality of ANY mini DV tape as long as you don't get any dropped frames during the original recording. All the data on the tape is digital so the camera is going to read it the same regardless of what tape you use. The more expensive tapes "should" be less likely to get dropped frames during recording, but the quality of the image will be the same on any of them.

Exactly, I have used Panasonic, Sony and TDK DV
tapes and they all work great.

J..
Kiss my dogs arse.

I don't believe there is a difference from the Sony DVC blue packaged tapes and the red packaged premiums. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Last year I bid on tapes through e bay and walked away with some good prices.

Yep, I just got my tapes, and even though the picture on the site I ordered from showed a red package, what I got was the blue packaged ones that say DVC in big letters on the front. So they are the same... Now I just need my camera. *Can't wait till Tuesday* B|

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project