skychic68

Notebook editing

Happy New Year everybody:)
Is anyone using a powerful notebook to perform their editing duties on. I'd like to have something mobil to take to the DZ when weathered out. I am seeing that the Sony Vaio is advertised as a pretty decent multimedia machine. Any feedback from anyone who uses a Vaio???
In my research, I am just realizing the neat capabilities of these machines today. WOW!!!

Be safe. Designate a driver.
Que sera sera

Go with an Apple TiBook... http://www.apple.com/powerbook/

or, if you're on a budget, the iBook... http://www.apple.com/ibook/

unless you need a specific "windows only" piece of software, you can do just about anything you would need to do on the apple, and have a lot less headaches.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Yup, I'm using a Dell Insprion 8200 for editing, it's a P4 1.8ghz processor with 640 MB of RAM. I also have an external Firewire disk drive that I use to store my projects on. I'm quite happy with this setup.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

You're correct, no DVD burner on the iBook, but they come with a CD-RW/DVD-ROM for $1100.

And $1799 for a 1Ghz Powerbook w/ a DVD burner ain't bad either.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I recently went through the same process of picking a laptop for video editing at the DZ. After looking over all the options I chose the PowerBook G4 from Macintosh. The combination of processing power, DVD burning and Final Cut Express software sold me on the system. I have used my new toy for about 4 months now so I can give some of the pros and cons of my decision.

Pros-
-The Final Cut Express software allows me to edit video in any manner of my choosing. I am only limited by my imagination (and hard drive space)
-The Macintosh operating system has been very stable and I have had very little difficulty switching from a Windows machine
-I haven’t found a digital video camera at the DZ I can’t plug a firewire cable into and pull video from without any downloads or updates
-DVD burning is easy and the format used has worked with every DVD player I’ve tested it with

Cons-
-You need an additional device to pull video from TV, VCRs, Non-digital Cameras, etc. Basically any non-firewire or USB device. A feature offered by the Sony Vaio
-Special software required if you plan to run any Microsoft software
-Laptops have smaller hard drives then tower or desktop units. This is readily apparent if you do a lot of video work or plan on archiving videos. I’m currently looking at external hard drives to solve this problem.

I have been very happy with my selection and would still choose the PowerBook over the Sony Vaio. However, every time I’m in the computer store I look at the Sony Vaio and wish I could afford a second laptop. The Vaio is a well-rounded computer, and if you are using a Sony camera you know the two will work together seamlessly.

Whichever system you choose I suggest splurging on the upgraded hard drive, RAM and processor. Video editing really chews up the computers resources and you’ll quickly regret buying the base system.

Cons-
-You need an additional device to pull video from TV, VCRs, Non-digital Cameras, etc. Basically any non-firewire or USB device. A feature offered by the Sony Vaio

Most (not all) Sony video cameras sold in the U.S. can be used as a rudimentary analog to digital converter.

Plug the analog cable into the A/V port, plug the FireWire into the FireWire port, put the camera in VCR mode and you're good to go.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I just bought my mobile system. I'm a multimedia producer and build a lot of websites and produce all on a pc. The whole MAC and PC thing is like RW and Freeflying. They are both good things.

I've used both pc and mac. At one company I worked at a few years ago, I had a mac an pc on the same desk. Life got much easier when I just use a PC.

If anyone wants to debate this lets start another thread. I love debating the mac and pc thing like rw and Freeflying.

So After research and budget. I bout a Fujitsu N series laptop.

15" screen super Xvga, somthing screen
P4 2.8, 512 mg ram, 40 gig harddrive.
$1,500

Now Laptop hardrives spin a bit slower than most current multimedia systems. The average is 4,500 or 5200 rpm. The new standard for pc is 7200 rpm now which is one of the reason the average computer can handle video playback.

So for the moblie user for all the raw space and speed a external USB harddrive is the way to go. This will also speed up renders and stability of your system. ( since we capture in dv through firewire, I like to use USB drives to not bog down the firewire bus. USB 2.0 is more than capable of handleing DV transfer rates. )

I have an external drive enclosure that I can but hardrives or internal dvd/cd/ drives into. They are about $60 bucks. Simple to use and put together. See attached picture. Then find a good 120+ GIG hardrive or internal dvd burner for a good price.

Its cheaper overall for being able to swap drives out when needed.
Testing the system. Everything runs great for a laptop. Its not as fast as my work station but this system is real nice. I'll buy more ram down the road but for the time being it runs smooth and its really nice to be mobile and on location to edit and download and edit digital.

I'm not fond of sony computer products. Everything else sony is nice but their laptops in the past have been headaches. My 2 bits. Reasearch on zdnet.com for product reviews. They are right on.

I hook up my sprint pcs phone and get wireless connection faster than 54k. I think some dz and cafes offer free wireless so I have a wirelss net work card too. Runs reall nice.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

there are some good tips here,

I too was encountered by some issues with Sony laptops. I think that for certain products, Sony is #1, but laptops is FAR from being one of those... (sorry). The main problems that I encountered were - laptop body structure (looks sleek, but is actually flimsy, and doesnt endure for long), memory (perhaps motherboard fault) crashes, and slow response time. computer locks, etc.

there are pros and cons to getting a Mac, or a PC, it all depends on your preferences, and your requirements. eitherway , if you do choose to go with a PC, I can only suggest to stay away from the vaio series, they look like everything one can wishes, but that dream doesnt last for long....

just my 2 cents. hope it helps
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

Is Final Cut Pro available for PC?

Also, does that mean (if you wan to) that you can run a videotape through the camera and directly into the PC to record?

Or do you still have to record a videotape into the camera and then record from camera into PC?

Thanks for the help!
www.motavi.com

FCP is Mac only...

Some cameras will do pass through, that is run the video through the camera to the computer... others may require that you record it on the camera before going to the computer...

J

I have had a VAIO notebook for over a year, and am very happy with it. It may be a comprimise from a desktop. But, it does have everything built in for edit duties. A desktop would smoke it, but that isn't what you asked. For the money, they do what they advertise, and do it well.

----------------------------
bzzzz

Is Final Cut Pro available for PC?

Nope. Its a mac program only made for macs.

But Final Cut Pro alone is a good reason to get a mac. Its a very very very nice program! It can be complicated to use but I personaly don't think its that hard and the learning curve really isn't that long. The only problem is its rather large pricetag but i'm sure someone on here should be able to ehem.. find it for you for free B|;)

Or...Final Cut Express for $99 with a new Mac. Most of the capabilities of FCP but much less dinero except that Final Cut Pro is actually a suite of programs...FCP, Soundtrack, Livetype and a couple of others. If you don't want the extras, FCE is much lower cost.

(I hear rumors that FCE2 will be announced at MacWorld San Franciso on Monday, January 5, 2004.)

Scott Snyder (Slayer21016 on Dz.com)does some good looking work on FCP and Livetype.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

It all depends on what you are going to try to do with the machine. Frankly, I spend WAY too much time doing video editing to bother trying to do it at the dz.

Additionally, it depends on what NLE you want to use.
I use AVID Xpress DV (which works on PC or MAC - I am using it on a PC). For the 'mobile' workstation, they have a newer version AVID Xpress Pro, with an external firewire accelerator. That makes one of the slickest 'on the go' editing systems around. Just add laptop and harddrive space.

http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/index.asp

Frankly, you will need huge amounts of space to do anything but the smallest projects.

I haven't used FCP, but the apple platform and software definitely is a nice setup.

I wouldn't bother with Sony Laptops, personally. They have too many quirky specialized hardware components which often makes OS/upgrades /tweaks an issue.

j

I was using a similar setup to that with no problems:

Dell Latitute (1ghz processor)
512MB RAM
External firewire drive
Premiere

The external drive is key for expandability so that you can keep your video projects separate (especially if it's a work / school computer)

I now have an iMac w/ final cut, and love it!

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

Is Final cut express upgradable to FCP?? What kinds of features does the program have and what program out there would be comparable (running on a pc)

I suppose I would be more open to the MAC idea if I hadn't just bought new software. Now I am discovering that I need a faster computer to get anything done right.

With all the wonderful things about MAC, I don't know how anyone could go wrong.....so i hear.
Que sera sera

Is Final cut express upgradable to FCP?? What kinds of features does the program have and what program out there would be comparable (running on a pc)

FCE isn't upgradable to FCP...so the way to buy it is with a new Mac for $99. FCE features here and FCP features here. FCP has lots of extras, mentioned in my previous post, and handles all kinds of media whereas FCE is optimized for DV25 which is what nearly all of us use. I think that Adobe Premiere would be the nearest equivalent on the PC.....but I have no experience with PC editing software or hardware.

I suppose I would be more open to the MAC idea if I hadn't just bought new software. Now I am discovering that I need a faster computer to get anything done right.

With all the wonderful things about MAC, I don't know how anyone could go wrong.....so i hear.

Do you have a friend or Apple Store nearby so that you could check out using a Mac? Somebody that would let you download some photos and dv to play with? I think that an hour or two would help you make an informed decision....on what will work for you the best.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey