jeremyneas

How much footage do you save?

Curious, what do you do with all that old footage?

VHS, Beta, Betamax, DV, MiniDV, MicroDV, 8mm, Hi8mm, VHS-C...etc...

Personally: I save everything, then after 24 hours of footage, I compress it, too freefall, and interesting stuff. That usually gives tandem students time to break in their videos, and if they destroy them too late, at least I kept their freefall.

Example: I was compressing the other day, and have a sweet quote from Jim Slaton after landing an Alpha 84 (first time). "This is TOO fast for me, I will never get smaller than this, what the fuck was I thinking!" (Needless to say, he was pumped).

Case in point: Archiving can have interesting benifits, for those that don't!

I archive everything , never used a tape twice.
You never know when you'll think that footage would be perfect for something ... for better for worse. Never distroy evidence. it might come in handy one day.

Footage can be used in so many ways - from main footage, to transitions, to masks, to effects, you name it. And as long as MiniDV is MINI and doesnt take much space - heck, y not save it.
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

Archive everything, but more importantly I log all the shots so I can find them again.
I don't do this compressing thing, I just trim out the bits I won't ever want and then log and seal up the minidv tapes.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I have a couple of tapes that I keep stuff on and I name them
1. Oh Shit
2. Cool stuff
3. Funny stuff
4. Good dives
at the end of the day I download them to Premiere put them on the timeline then put them on the tapes. Or you could just firewire them to each tape. Every time I fill up a tape I record over it 1 more time then I toss it in the trash. I just keep the listed tapes because its usually all the stuff you want to see again.
Shindig

I've never reused a tape. My organazation of those tapes needs improvement. At best I have the date the tape was full on it. Need that to find tandems when they lose their copy and I have to dub another one. At the end of the year I go back through all of them for the year and download the good stuff onto the computer. When I've got enough I make a new video to show at the DZ.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

Sometimes when an incident happens, the DZO (assuming a powerfully minded individual), will influence a videographer (weaker minded individual) to hand over the raw footage so there isn't a leak.

Sometimes the videographer will do it out of professional courtesy.

I'm sure job availibility has been questioned over matters that involve certain individuals.

Just got back from Eloy, and Gasson and Finley did great seminars on both videography and camera flying.

So much great information from such experienced camera fliers. Anyhow, only use the tapes once.

I've got all mine, but I think "archive" means organized, and mine just have beginning and ending dates on them.

JP

.. I DO save ALL the footage, which i have shot !!!!!
and since I log all my jumps,,, I also cross reference from my logbook to the appropriate video cassette.
The last decade or so,,, I have used the large spiral logbook which Mike Truffer designed,,,, and that leaves plenty of room for the usual details, as well as the tape info...
The tapes are all labeled, in numerical order, including the year,,, when i load a new tape into a camera.....
Sure, you can burn through a lot of tapes,, but this way you can also quickly learn how to shoot "efficiently" ,, and reduce wasted footage...
I have had tandem students come back to me months and months later, because, " my Mom videotaped 'Days of our Life' onto my tandem video "
and i felt good i was able to reproduce it....
Also, since I run two video cameras, I have wide angle AND normal focal lengths available to me as I edit....and as mentioned here, by others, the mini dv's are so much smaller than the old 8mm and Hi8,, why not save them..??...
Of course,, I wear cameras on Nearly ALL my jumps,,, and the fun jumps are the ones which i will enjoy years from now,,, as i reminisce...
There is nothing like the feeling of re experiencing one of those special skydives,, from the exact same perspective that It was originally viewed..... though of course,, nothing matches the original "3-D view"...
.....Now, when 3-D video cameras,,,, ( can you say
"Hologramography" !!!???) ( 'help me , Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope") become available,,, I will be breaking open my piggy bank and getting in line to order one!!!! hahahaha

though of course,, nothing matches the original "3-D view"...
.....Now, when 3-D video cameras,,,, ( can you say
"Hologramography" !!!???) ( 'help me , Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope") become available,,, I will be breaking open my piggy bank and getting in line to order one!!!! hahahaha

I've done it :-) making a 3D movie myself, using two camera's and a lot of time. See my website. Note that the 4 minutes movie on DVD took me over 50 hours to make ...... (note: the learning effect will make another movie easier....)
Caren

When I fist jumped video, I reused my old tandem and aff videos. Now I save it all!!! I have been so lucky when consumers come back and say they need another copy because it got lost or taped over.

ALWAYS punch out the tab on the VHS to avoid this!!!!

Archiving is good. A log book defining each jump and the stop and end points is really helpful. Some really great stuff, I just leave on the hard drive all together.

Organizing yourself is a must.

ALL VIDEO, ALL THE TIME.
Que sera sera