Ronnie

bmp to jpeg

Almost any good quality image editing program will do it.

Photoshop for instance does it quite nicely, but that might cost you quite a bit.

QuickTime Pro will also do it on a Mac, but I'm not sure what capabilities the Windows version has. That's only like $30.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Like Q said.... Open it up in just about any photo program. Go to File --> Save As. a dialog box of some form should come up. There's usually another clickdown menu to select the type of file you want to save it as... ie. ".jpg" type a file name and click save. that works in most programs, at least in generic terms.
if you need more help i'm sure one of the people hanging around here could help or even convert it for you if it's that much trouble.

matt

I don't think bitmaps (ie .bmp files) offer levels of compression so the only way to reduce the file size is to make the image smaller or reduce the number of colours. For example you might be saving it as a 24-bit colour bitmap when you could save it as 256, 16 or even 2 colours.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

For simple conversions like this, I usually advise people to use MS PhotoEditor. Most people already have it even if they don´t know it, it´s on the MS Office cd.

Simple program to understand and it does essential things like conversions, rotations, and resizing. It does not offer a control over the jpeg compression, but usually it compresses the image so it is still okay to look at and it´s really small.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

An even simpler way is to post it here, or even just display it in an internet explorer screen at home. Right click on the picture and select save as.

I know, most people just click save, but if you look, there is a drop down to change the file type. Click that drop down, select .bmp, and click save.

The fastest way to convert, period. :)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

For simple conversions like this, I usually advise people to use MS PhotoEditor. Most people already have it even if they don´t know it, it´s on the MS Office cd.

Simple program to understand and it does essential things like conversions, rotations, and resizing. It does not offer a control over the jpeg compression, but usually it compresses the image so it is still okay to look at and it´s really small.

It does offer compression control. Press the "More" button from the "Save" menu. It also allows image balancing (auto and manual) and a number of effects. It loads way faster than Photoshop too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

An even simpler way is to post it here, or even just display it in an internet explorer screen at home. Right click on the picture and select save as.

I know, most people just click save, but if you look, there is a drop down to change the file type. Click that drop down, select .bmp, and click save.

I don't think you meant .bmp if she wants a jpeg!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't think you meant .bmp if she wants a jpeg!

Duh, whoops, yea. What he said.

I've used my method for quick save to bmp, but I've not tried it the other way around. Sorry.

But, it does work nice for saving a picture you want to use as a desktop background. You can use any bmp without turing on active desktop (a system resource hog), but that's another thread.

Now, off to try it in reverse to see if it works....
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

BTW - a really, really good shareware photo-editing program is called Paint Shop Pro, and can be downloaded for free from www.jasc.com.

It's almost as good as photoshop in most tasks, and in a few areas it's actually better. The scripting functions are really good, for example.

I think you can use it for a month or so without registering, and the registration fee is somewhere around $80.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

If you have XP all you have to is open up the picture in Windows Picture Viewer then click on the save icon (a disk) then you can select the file type and name. Finally Microsoft did something right. So you dont need a special program if you have XP.

B Moore

'Turbulence is a bitch'