AndyMan

gun-rak

Has anybody seen these in the field yet? I'm considering one, and am curious how people have used the drilled allluminum plate for attachments. Hav you drilled your own holes, or have the holes conveniently lined up with the frames... Also, side-mount, or top mount?

Anybody seen pics of one setup properly?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm wondering about the utility of that, jp. For stroboframe mounts, and some other pre-drilled stuff (that easy stuff we should be so grateful for that you guys didn't have in the 'old days' :P), if the holes aren't conveniently in the right place, the gun-rak ownder might be SOL.

Do you have one in the shop? How do you like it?

I'm wondering about the utility of that, jp. For stroboframe mounts, and some other pre-drilled stuff (that easy stuff we should be so grateful for that you guys didn't have in the 'old days' ), if the holes aren't conveniently in the right place, the gun-rak ownder might be SOL.

True, I don't know as I haven't tried.

Do you have one in the shop?

Yes.

How do you like it?

It's a nice clean design. It looks nice, and is comfortable.

I'm a snob though. Flat Top Pro, the only way to go....B|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

With the flash, the 10D, and my PC 120 I have a lot of weight on my head. To keep all that stuff from moving around I REALLY have to ratchet my chin cup down, and it's uncomfortable. The FTP speads the pressure over the chin and front part of the jaw, so when it's cranked tight the pressure is spread over more area.

After a day of photo-flash-video my jaw hurts with my Bat Rack cause all cranked down it is really pulling my lower jaw back into my head. I'm getting used to it, but I wish I'd have gone with the Flat top.

I'll keep my Hawkeye for tandems cause I've got all those mounts angled way up.

I agree. That thing is ugly. Not to mention, I could go buy a piecr of sheet metal and make the same thing out of almost any helmet. Also, I would want to fill in all those gaps with spray foam and then form a nice curvature for the helmet so that anything slapping against it would slide off nicely. Seems like this helmet needs to back to the design stages.

Just my opinion...

I could go buy a piecr of sheet metal and make the same thing out of almost any helmet

That was my thought as well. A piece of alluminum, my garage and just a little bit of time (not much, really), and I would have this made.

I wonder if we'll see homemade versions of this helmet popping up before too long, instead of spending the wad of cash to buy it.

Metal like this is pretty cheap, even aluminum.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"I wonder if we'll see homemade versions of this helmet popping up before too long, instead of spending the wad of cash to buy it."

Almost certainly Dave, it won't be too long...my biggest concern is that there might be sharp edges that are left, leading to riser damage and snagging concerns, etc.
That and the suspicion that people making their own Raks may not be, umm, totally in control of their own flight.

I think Bonehead are a little off the mark with this piece of ironmongery. Maybe rethink the requirement to have that amount of plate there, and if flexibility in mounting is the prime driver, maybe have a look at providing a helmet with captive nuts, or cast-in threaded bosses to take plates, strobos, D-boxes, etc....

But then again, at one time, nearly all camera helmets had this sort of arrangement, but with the plate running front to back as opposed to side to side. Modified pro-tecs were all the rage, and at least one very respected camera flier in the UK still jumps a modified pro-tec.

Its not the helmet, nor the camera that captures great images, its the flier.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Its not the helmet, nor the camera that captures great images, its the flier.

That said, a stable platform will capture more stable images.

I know a very well respected camera flyer that routinely uses an old beat up ProTek type modified helmet. He has no problem getting work, but if you compare his footage to someone wearing a more modern and secure helmet, you definitely will notice a difference in the image stability of the video.

I've seen some people with modified ProTek type helmets that shake so badly it's just damn difficult to watch the footage. They're in the right position, just a hell of a lot of head shake. Ugly video in my opinion.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've seen some people with modified ProTek type helmets that shake so badly it's just damn difficult to watch the footage. They're in the right position, just a hell of a lot of head shake. Ugly video in my opinion.

This is exactly why I'm upgrading. When I was first starting I was thrilled at the quality of my video, it's only now that I'm getting more finicky that I can't stand the camera shake...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

"I've seen some people with modified ProTek type helmets that shake so badly it's just damn difficult to watch the footage."

Deffo agree with you there Paul. The point I was trying to make is this.. it doesn't matter if you bought the bling bling lid, super dooper cams, and a groovy suit, it ain't worth a damn if you can't fly worth a damn.

Okay, if the Gun Rak is a serious camera flier's helmet, why doesn't it come with a chin cup as standard?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson