BMFin

Attaching an audible ?

How many of you guys have an audible attached outside of your helmet ? ( if for example the helmet has no audible pocket )

Anyone lost their audible on opening ? ( i.e. riser swipes it away..)

Im thinkin of attaching my Pro-Track to a Gath-hat, but im not so sure if thats a good idea..

I do with my pro-dytter. I used the zip-tie that's provided for security, and a rubber band to keep the placement where I want it. Seems to be fine on the outside of my pro-tec.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have a protrack and a prodytter on my Gath, on the outside, both mounted on the same side.

I zip tied on the brackets, via some small holes I made in the Gath, for a more flush mounting remove the wee ear vent thing and mount the clip over the hole left behind.

I haven't lost one yet, but I have lost a timeout to riser strike....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

My Veolocity helmet has only one internal pocket, and I have two audibles.

I started by drilling holes in the helmet, 4 holes corresponding to the wholes on the mounting bracket. I also drilled a hole directly behind the speaker on the audible to help the sound make it through.

Lastly, I took a roll of duct tape, rolled up a good length of tape, and used the tape to act as a line deflector underneath the bracket. Secondly, I used the tape to seal around the bracket to reduce wind noise from interfering with the sound from the speaker.

I have lost an audible from a riser strike, since then L&B has started shipping rubber bands that will hold the audible if the bracket breaks.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

i had mine on the outside of my nevertigo, and i lost it on opening one day. but i wasn't informed that l+b will replace it if that happens. so i spend another 300 bucks on one. i know have mindwarp, new version, and it is on the inside. i would never have a helmet with the dyter mounted on the outside again.

but that's just me.

later

since then L&B has started shipping rubber bands that will hold the audible if the bracket breaks.

I think you can also get metal brackets instead of the normal plastic ones. It makes it a bit of an arse getting the audible in and out but it's much more secure.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

talking to a friend that had a protrack installed in a gath he told me that the most important thing is to look at your shoulder when opening that way you don't let the risers slap the protrack away, he also told me that the first and only time he didn't moved his head and stayed looking at the horizon he saw his protrack fly by his own, saddest seconds of his life.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

talking to a friend that had a protrack installed in a gath he told me that the most important thing is to look at your shoulder when opening that way you don't let the risers slap the protrack away,

I wouldn't go that far. Turning your head during opening is a good perscription for a sore neck at the end of the day.

Most camera fliers, who have a much bigger risk of riser strikes and entaglements, simply look straight ahead at the horizon throughout the opening. It helps reduce sore necks, plus it helps keep you straight in the harness throughout opening.

If you're really concerned about a lost external protrack, use a few rubber bands to hold the unit as well as the bracked. If the bracket breaks, the rubber bands will still hold.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I built my own with iternal pocket on a older style mindwarp with some fibreglass and fibreglass filler. Its not quite finished but if you want to see pics I'll email them to you. Sorry I've tried uploading but I keep getting this error (Your attachment did not upload: The attachment exceeds the maximum attachment size (60.0 KB)) and I don't know how to make it smaller. Its very smooth and snag free. If you have any questions let me know.

I had a pro-dytter mounted on the outside of a gath until sunday when after a jump i lost it on opening [:/]...didnt even realise it until i went up for the next jump! The risers must of just brushed the mounting clip yet it was enough to break it off...make sure you AT LEAST use cable ties around the audible. Oh well might try sending L&B an email soon ;)