ConceptusInc

Conceptus Camera Switches

Hey Kidz, this is Ed O'Beirne from Conceptus Camera Switches. This is my first post, although I have been monitoring the Photo Forum for some time. I've also gotten to know many of you through phone and e-mail. Your feedback has helped me make better and better Tongue Switches and Bite Switches, and I will continue to improve upon them as my knowledge increases and as your needs require. I appreciate all feedback, ideas, criticism, and suggestions. I would also like to make myself available for any technical questions that may arise from the use of our switches.

I make and sell Tongue and Bite Switches for the satisfaction and pleasure of knowing my fellow freefall photographers are able to use and enjoy something I conceived of and make. I have a "real job" that pays perfectly well, so while it prevents me from skydiving and making switches full-time, it also removes most of the profit motive from my camera switch making venture. This is why I have never raised our prices, have a total guarantee, and don't charge shipping.

Please keep your postings and e-mails coming. I plan on making and improving these things as long as I am skydiving and as long as other skydivers dig 'em.

I would also like to specifically solicit information anyone might have on obtaining the "N3" plug which is compatible with the increasingly popular Canon Digital SLR's. I would like very much to incorporate this plug in our stock-production switches so users don't have to chop them up and reconnect them. The least expensive source I have found is the RA-N3 adaptor which is at least $40 retail. It's only about 10 inches long, thus requiring shrink tubing to cover the splice. I can't even find a place that will wholesale them. What I really need is an N3 plug with a 30" coaxial wire that I can build each switch onto without any splicing. If you know of any way of obtaining such a part either by purchase or reverse engineering, your discovery will be highly appreciated by camera flyers and heavily rewarded by me.

Thanks again to those who have bought, used, criticized, improved, and enjoyed my switches.

Be well,
Ed O'Beirne

You could always try contacting Canon directly and seeing if they have an OEM product for the plug.

I tried to get them to sell me a plug but because I wasn't a repair shop, they wouldn't do it. You being an aftermarket manufacturer might be able to get a little further along.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thanks for thinking about us Ed! Very nice! Skydiving customer service is the best.

When you get that new coax switch set up for the 10D, I promise you've sold at least one.

Heck, just the connector and the coax wire would be worth having. I'm not alone wanting spares in my box, but two $52 switches is a little steep.

Let us know if you have any luck.

JP

I'm sure you'll have customers lining up when you can make this work! (just sent you an e-mail for a source that just might work at getting you those N3 adaptors!).

There was a very experienced photographer that just burned his brand new Nikon digital camera this weekend while getting his own adaptor set up and plugged in! Ouch!!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Way to go!
I'm usually shitty at thanking people for good service, but now I have to. I have a Coolpix 5000 - Digisnap 5000 and Conceptus biteswitch combination and had some problems with the focusing. So just as I figured out by myself to mod the switch, I was contacted by Conceptus how to make the mod. Great service! They contacted me after reading here that I use their stuff, just like that, I didn't have to ask for help.

That is what I call good service, thanks guys

Tomppa

Yep, I need one of those. When you find it/make it, let me know, i'll buy one. I was just shopping for something for my new 10D.

I'm browsing through here to see if anyone has set up something that works with a 10D without splicing? anyone???

thanks, peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Sorry Lew, you're going to have to (probably really want to also) make some sort of adapter.

Right now no tongue or bite switches exist with the "proper" plug on it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ed, thanx for the call today. You may have better luck with Canon then I have forthe past month or so.
I got the number for the guy who molds them in Japan. My budget doesn't offer the luxury to call them myself...I'm saving that money for the plug !

anyway try 03-34-55-9261. This was given to me by Chuck Westfall (Canon R&D, in NY)

If you have luck...remember me when you get them.

Mic
Skydive Coolidge AZ

Hi Ed!
I'm buying a Canon EOS 3000N to be mounted on the top of my helmet. Will your switches fit to the camera without problems?
To deside between tounge switch and bite switch, what will help me? I got a tight chin cup so to bite will be difficult (I heard about that). Is that true? So that I have to use a tounge switch?
Thanks for help, greetings Volk Air, Germany.

Hi Ed, if you do find a source for the Canon plug don’t forget about us "Die hard hand switch" guys. It would be nice to deal with just purchasing the plug with a pigtail (at a good price), as opposed to making our own from cutting expensive accessories apart.

My two cents...

Hi Ed!
I'm buying a Canon EOS 3000N to be mounted on the top of my helmet. Will your switches fit to the camera without problems?
To deside between tounge switch and bite switch, what will help me? I got a tight chin cup so to bite will be difficult (I heard about that). Is that true? So that I have to use a tounge switch?
Thanks for help, greetings Volk Air, Germany.

I have a Rebel EOS 2000 and I use the Conceptus tongue switch with out any problems. As long as the 3000 kept the same type of remote plug. It looks like a headphone jack on the right side of the camera.

I also have a tight chin cup. You would want a tongue switch. With a bite switch, you run the risk of shifting the helmet when you use the switch. That would suck unless you use a ring sight to keep everything in frame. Also I heard that bite switches wear out over time.

Hope this helps.

Hi Ed.
We have a few conceptus tongue switches at our DZ and sometimes they fail to work as you go up to altitude. Even when we test them on the ground we end up having no freefall pix as the switch didn't work up high. Do you know how this can happen?